The New York Rangers are a perfectly built team this year

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Don’t get defensive. The same logic that says you shouldn’t make sweeping declarations about anything after four games, similarly applies to “how they’re playing”. They played (mostly Lafreniere) well over a handful of games last season too. But yeah, if you want to take a leap on an early victory lap, I’m all for it. That’s never burned anyone before.

I'm not getting defensive but your bias is pretty blatant.

Reactions: The Crypto Guy

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
I'm not getting defensive but your bias is pretty blatant.
That street goes two ways. And your post was defensive.

There’s nothing controversial about saying wait more than four games. There are multiple posts in here of your own fans applying the same logic to the premise of this thread. We went through the same peaks and valleys in the Lafreniere thread last season.

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
I disagree. Elite centers aren't held back at ES like that. He's never been a great ES scorer, and it's an important part of the game, one that I put a lot of weight into.

Not disagreeing that ES isnt important it is, but you are underselling him.

For instance Stamkos has 36% of his pts on the PP all time. Zib has 32%.
Hughes 28%.
Aho 30%.
Bergeron 31%.
Barkov 28%.
Barzal 27%.
Braydon point 29%.
Ror is 31%
Eichel 36%
Mackinnon 32%
Ovechkin 37%
Mcdavid 32%
So basically Zibby gets about the same % of points off the PP as others. Not a real noticeable difference.

Edit: these are career numbers for clarification.

Edit 2: zibby last year had 35% pts on PP. So above his avg. but still not by much.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Their most elite forward, their captain and their Norris defender are all there not cause NYR is a well-managed, well-built team, but cause NYR is NYR.
Cry more about it while Edmonton continues to do nothing with the two best players in the league lol

Reactions: Kupo

tomobson

Sep 16, 2008
Kakko is looking like the player the rangers drafted. He's completely changed the top line from a one and done line to one that can keep possession for a second and third chance. That alone is huge to solving the rangers even strength woes from seasons past.

Reactions: ecemleafs

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

Hughes 28%.
Aho 30%.
Bergeron 31%.
Barkov 28%.
Barzal 27%.
Braydon point 29%.
Ror is 31%
Eichel 36%
Mackinnon 32%
Ovechkin 37%
Mcdavid 32%
So basically Zibby gets about the same % of points off the PP as others. Not a real noticeable difference.

Edit 2: zibby last year had 35% pts on PP. So above his avg. but still not by much.
Sure, but he was still far behind the pack in ES production last year. Even in total production, he was outside the top 15 in points per game.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
I disagree. Elite centers aren't held back at ES like that. He's never been a great ES scorer, and it's an important part of the game, one that I put a lot of weight into.

The powerplay is an important part too. One you seem to put zero weight into. And if you're looking at his PK stats and disregarding the fact that he's been an elite 4v5 scorer himself you're also looking at it wrong.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I simply do not see any weaknesses in the Rangers roster this season, they are solid in every department. In my mind they are the best team in the East and only the Avs match them.

Vezina winning goalie in Shestyorkin

Norris winning defender in Fox

Elite 1C in Zibanejad

Elite 1W in Panarin

Great 2C in Trocheck

50 goal scorer in Kreider

Big physical presence in Blais, Reeves, Trouba

Elite young players in Lafreniere, Kakko, Kravtsov

Deadly power play and solid penalty kill

Great coaching by Gallant

This reminds me of all the Fox threads to start last season then the Rangers and Fox settled down.

Heck there are 8 teams without a regulation loss and the NYR isn't one of them and Igor looks kind of mortal as well.

I guess after they beat powerhouses in San Jose and Columbus Ranger fans can plan the parade route.

Reactions: AhosDatsyukian

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
The powerplay is an important part too. One you seem to put zero weight into.
If I put zero weight on PP I wouldn't have him as a top 15 center. It's certainly important. but it's also important to consider the context - he gets a lot more PP time than most top centers, and he has two of the best passers on the planet feeding him in Fox and Panarin. Swap him and Barzal and their PP production changes drastically.

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
I mean besides the Rangers, I only see the Lightning and the Avs, as the teams that have elite hardware winning players in every position(G, D, W, C), and the Avs are questionable at G
they were questionable in goal last season, yet still won the Cup. When you have the best player in the world on your blue line, you can cover up a lot.

• Haha
Reactions: kroufum

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
Sure, but he was still far behind the pack in ES production last year. Even in total production, he was outside the top 15 in points per game.

He is not a playmaking center. He will never rack up the assists like some other centers. Thats not his game.

Like is said there are 7 or 8 centers i would take over him.

Other than that, its just preference and team fit for the next 5 -8 centers.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
If I put zero weight on PP I wouldn't have him as a top 15 center. It's certainly important. but it's also important to consider the context - he gets a lot more PP time than most top centers, and he has two of the best passers on the planet feeding him in Fox and Panarin. Swap him and Barzal and their PP production changes drastically.

He scored 14 PPG in 17-18 and 11 in 18-19 before either of those two players were on the team.

He had less PP time/game last year than Kadri, Draisaitl, McDavid, Kuznetsov, Backstrom, Stamkos, MacKinnon, Point, Barkov, Scheifele, RNH, Crosby, Kopitar, Stutzle, Horvat, Norris, Pettersson, Duchene, Granlund, Matthews, PLD, Suzuki, Johansen, Bergeron, Tavares who are all centers.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
They did about the same as Troubas elbow...
Yes Trouba caused the Pens to completely throw away their series lead and implode that series lol

the way you Pens fans talk, you make it sound like it happened in the finals and ya’ll were denied a cup lmao

Meanwhile over here in reality, they would have got smoked prior to even getting to the finals if they had advanced past the Rangers, which they did not

Reactions: bl02

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
He scored 14 PPG in 17-18 and 11 in 18-19 before either of those two players were on the team.
Sure. In those 2 seasons he had 25 PP goals 44 PP points in 154 games.

Since then, he's played 198 games with 43 PP goals and 74 PP points.

That's a 34% increase in PP goals per game, and 31% increase in PP points per game.

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019
Barzal's shot is nowhere near as good

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
No doubt. But if you switch him and Zib the Rangers probably move Panarin the the left wall and let Barzal and Fox feed him one timers. He's got a decent shot lol.

Wouldn't work. The Rangers already tried Panarin on the left well and Zibanejad in the bumper during the beginning of Panarin's first year. It was ineffective. His shot and one timer and much worse.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

Hughes 28%.
Aho 30%.
Bergeron 31%.
Barkov 28%.
Barzal 27%.
Braydon point 29%.
Ror is 31%
Eichel 36%
Mackinnon 32%
Ovechkin 37%
Mcdavid 32%

You either are being intellectually dishonest or are ignorant of Mika's usage throughout his career as most of the guys you are comparing him to above have been on the PP units for there teams throughout their careers, for Mika not so much in Ottawa.

What is telling is when you look at his coring finishes with the NYR his totals finishes are way higher than his ES finishes and his PP usage is more dependant for him getting results.

Heck he isn't even a top 15 center for me and I like him as a player.

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
No doubt. But if you switch him and Zib the Rangers probably move Panarin the the left wall and let Barzal and Fox feed him one timers. He's got a decent shot lol.

And the PP would not nearly be as good. Teams literally have to strategize around Zibs shot. U dont have to do that around Panarin or Barzals shots. And fox isnt a shooter.

That PP would be a bunch of passes with nobody ever actually shooting.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Wouldn't work. The Rangers already tried Panarin on the left well and Zibanejad in the bumper during the beginning of Panarin's first year. It was ineffective. His shot and one timer and much worse.
Having Barzal on the right half wall is a completely different setup. I don't disagree that Zib is a better fit for what they have, but it would still be a very good PP if Barzal swapped in for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad