The New York Rangers are a perfectly built team this year

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
It pretty much was if you watched the game. The Rangers absolutely dominated that game. Yea 2 goal game, but Anaheim had only a few chances all game and capitalized on them. All Rangers that game
On the other hand the Ducks aren’t known to be great defensively against any team, the Rangers only scored two even strength goals

Last year they were known as a eh 5v5 team that got by on goaltending and special teams, which just stat watching seems the case here just so far as results; I’ve watched a couple of their games this year and they’ve been pretty back and forth who’s controlling even strenght

The “only a few games” thing applies both to saying “they’re perfect now” and “they will for sure be the same as last year” but gun to my head I’d lean to the latter just based on what little we’ve seen. They lit up a poor ducks team on the PP and allowed 4 goals still, and they lit up a Wild team with atrocious goaltending (a game in which I’m sure the Rangers come to control 5v5 after I stopped watching, but the Wild looked really good at one point too)

They did beat a Bolts team where the rangers did control after the first period, and they also lost fairly big to the Jets.

It’s really hard to come to any new conclusions yet, to the Op

Zarao71

Jul 19, 2021
Same dudes writing off the Rangers will have you believe the Cane's are world beaters.
How many top ten talents does one need? I'll put up Panarin, Zbad, Kreider, Fox, Trouba, Miller, Shesty against anyone in the East.

Reactions: gimbznyr

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
This take needs to die a painful death. It's not true.

1) Georgiev, a terrible goalie had a higher save % than the 9 seed. Mind you, it was a special year where the 9 seed had a really poor record. But technically last year this was the case. The Rangers with an average goalie last year would likely have been in the Wild Card discussion.

2) I don't know about last year but I looked at Lightning in their two cup seasons and Georgiev had a better record than Curtis McElhinney had either season. Now Georgiev is probably a better goalie but he's horrible in his own right.

So this idea that the Rangers were uniquely bad without Shesterkin is laughable.
Yea, it was Sheshterkin and the PP that drove the team last year. Let's not forget the incredible amount of late 3rd period tiebreaking PP goals the Rangers got last year. I would estimate they got at least 15 extra points that way.

That's no knock to them. They (assumedly) earned the PP and had a lights-out 1st unit. Powerplay was integral to the Rangers success and looks like it will continue to be this year

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
I simply do not see any weaknesses in the Rangers roster this season, they are solid in every department. In my mind they are the best team in the East and only the Avs match them.

Vezina winning goalie in Shestyorkin

Norris winning defender in Fox

Elite 1C in Zibanejad

Elite 1W in Panarin

Great 2C in Trocheck

50 goal scorer in Kreider

Big physical presence in Blais, Reeves, Trouba

Elite young players in Lafreniere, Kakko, Kravtsov

Deadly power play and solid penalty kill

Great coaching by Gallant
Beside Trochek, Reeves, Blais and Gallant...

All brought in by Gorton. Drury is just reaping the benefits.

LionsHeart

Mar 25, 2009
Queens, NY
It’s way to early to threads like this. You don’t really know what you got until December. The offense is legit, but I still think the defense isn’t quite up to snuff. They’ve had some sloppy moments that have lead to some bonehead goals, but I expect that to get better over the course of the season.

Trocheck is a clear upgrade over Strome. He’s been fantastic so far, and makes that PP1 that much more lethal. Call the Rangers a team that’s overly reliant on the Power Play, but it doesn’t change the fact that you do not want to take a penalty against them.

Laf and especially Kakko have taken huge steps. Kakko looks like the player we all expected him to be. They’re legit Top 6 players now.

I think that third line is still a work in progress. Chytil looks great, but I think they lack on the wing. Hopefully Kravstov mans up and takes one of those spots.

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014
On the other hand the Ducks aren’t known to be great defensively against any team, the Rangers only scored two even strength goals

Last year they were known as a eh 5v5 team that got by on goaltending and special teams, which just stat watching seems the case here just so far as results; I’ve watched a couple of their games this year and they’ve been pretty back and forth who’s controlling even strenght

The “only a few games” thing applies both to saying “they’re perfect now” and “they will for sure be the same as last year” but gun to my head I’d lean to the latter just based on what little we’ve seen. They lit up a poor ducks team on the PP and allowed 4 goals still, and they lit up a Wild team with atrocious goaltending (a game in which I’m sure the Rangers come to control 5v5 after I stopped watching, but the Wild looked really good at one point too)

They did beat a Bolts team where the rangers did control after the first period, and they also lost fairly big to the Jets.

It’s really hard to come to any new conclusions yet, to the Op

agree its way too early to say anyones in the drivers seat .... i mean you have a good idea of a couple teams who feel likely to be involved but theres always injuries and other surprises. it takes at least 10 games before teams begin to settle into who they'll be - early on feel like teams who've been together and had success have can be at an advantage with familiarity that can fall back to earth as other teams find identities, and there's always a couple less talented teams who come out flying with that cant sustain that effort level for 82 games

the game evals need a lot more context than that tho, i mean they scored 3 straight ev strength to take a 5-2 lead into the 3rd against ana. it was over then - sloppy 3rd but it was only ever close on the scoreboard. and they played winn on the 2nd of a back to back of a 3rd in 4 in their home opener traveling out west, and they put up over 40 shots in a game that was 1-1 with 5 mins to go...bit of a stretch to say they lost big.

so all things considered and being as objective as i can in evaluating them, i'd have my money on their level settling on your former. the big thing 5 on 5 is i'm not sure that other than while shorthanded, i can't recall any instances of what would occur too often last year - those extended periods where the rangers were pinned in their end. pretty much any 5 on 5 goal against has been off transition or off an entry/puck retrieval. minn/wpg got possession in the zone and created here and there, but thats going to happen against teams with elite players, and it still was nothing like last year in duration or volume of chances generated, and while they had stretches with the better of play it hasn't looked like last year. so if anything, i'd expect those early season gaffes to get cleaned up and their puck control to become more efficient turning into offense as their lines figure each other out.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
It’s way to early to threads like this. You don’t really know what you got until December. The offense is legit, but I still think the defense isn’t quite up to snuff. They’ve had some sloppy moments that have lead to some bonehead goals, but I expect that to get better over the course of the season.

Trocheck is a clear upgrade over Strome. He’s been fantastic so far, and makes that PP1 that much more lethal. Call the Rangers a team that’s overly reliant on the Power Play, but it doesn’t change the fact that you do not want to take a penalty against them.

Laf and especially Kakko have taken huge steps. Kakko looks like the player we all expected him to be. They’re legit Top 6 players now.

I think that third line is still a work in progress. Chytil looks great, but I think they lack on the wing. Hopefully Kravstov mans up and takes one of those spots.

For those who don’t think the defense is where it needs to be, I’d love to here your analysis of the Rangers top 4.

Fox is a franchise player.

Miller is a borderline #1, one of the best shutdown D in the league, and may be an elite player.

Trouba is a vicious two-way #2.

Lindgren is a #3, steady with a high end shutdown game.

You can maybe count a better top 4 on your hand with a peace sign. The Rangers are in the argument for the best top 4 in the league.

Jones and Schneider knocking…

• Haha
Reactions: Jersey Fresh

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
they're a contender for sure. As they should be.

Panarin - 30yrs
Zibanejad -29yrs
Kreider -31yrs
Trocheck -29yrs
Trouba -28yrs
Shesterkin -26yrs

It's not like they can goof around for 3-4 years. Their window is now.

Reactions: mm11

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Yeah they are a very solid team. The only thing I don't love is their center depth. It's good, but not elite like it sometimes needs to be when you get deeper into the playoffs. Zibanejad is a good #1C, Trocheck is a good #2C, but neither are really elite in that slotted role IMO.

But they have an elite G, elite D, and elite W, so that certainly helps.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Yeah they are a very solid team. The only thing I don't love is their center depth. It's good, but not elite like it sometimes needs to be when you get deeper into the playoffs. Zibanejad is a good #1C, Trocheck is a good #2C, but neither are really elite in that slotted role IMO.

But they have an elite G, elite D, and elite W, so that certainly helps.
What exactly is required to be elite?

LionsHeart

Mar 25, 2009
Queens, NY
For those who don’t think the defense is where it needs to be, I’d love to here your analysis of the Rangers top 4.

Fox is a franchise player.

Miller is a borderline #1, one of the best shutdown D in the league, and may be an elite player.

Trouba is a vicious two-way #2.

Lindgren is a #3, steady with a high end shutdown game.

You can maybe count a better top 4 on your hand with a peace sign. The Rangers are in the argument for the best top 4 in the league.

Jones and Schneider knocking…
I’m not saying they’re not talented, just the system hasn’t settled yet. It’s only 4 games into the season, I expect it to get better.

hockeyhow7

May 18, 2015
Guess you know everything you need to know just by looking at the box score. If you watched the game and are saying the Rangers lost big to the Jets then you don’t know anything about hockey.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
I simply do not see any weaknesses in the Rangers roster this season, they are solid in every department. In my mind they are the best team in the East and only the Avs match them.

Vezina winning goalie in Shestyorkin

Norris winning defender in Fox

Elite 1C in Zibanejad

Elite 1W in Panarin

Great 2C in Trocheck

50 goal scorer in Kreider

Big physical presence in Blais, Reeves, Trouba

Elite young players in Lafreniere, Kakko, Kravtsov

Deadly power play and solid penalty kill

Great coaching by Gallant

This post:

and just in case the message wasn't clear:

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
This take needs to die a painful death. It's not true.

1) Georgiev, a terrible goalie had a higher save % than the 9 seed. Mind you, it was a special year where the 9 seed had a really poor record. But technically last year this was the case. The Rangers with an average goalie last year would likely have been in the Wild Card discussion.

2) I don't know about last year but I looked at Lightning in their two cup seasons and Georgiev had a better record than Curtis McElhinney had either season. Now Georgiev is probably a better goalie but he's horrible in his own right.

So this idea that the Rangers were uniquely bad without Shesterkin is laughable.

They won't have eye catching stats at the end of the year but Lafreniere, Kakko, and even Chytil most definitely are worlds better than they were last year. They don't get PP1 time because the Rangers have one of the best PP1 units in the league so they'll have stats that will make people think they're not that great. But while not exactly Crosby and McDavid these guys are solid top 6 contributors.
Kinda bummed they may translate to solid top six contributors if not there as of yet but understand. Rangers look crazy good on the pp. Firing on all cylinders at this moment. They could get bored doing this for awhile and could get complacent during the year but we all will see if they can flip that switch down the stretch when it gets tight. If healthy I assume they can.

irishlaxburger2

Jan 30, 2008
Rye, NY
they're a contender for sure. As they should be.

Panarin - 30yrs
Zibanejad -29yrs
Kreider -31yrs
Trocheck -29yrs
Trouba -28yrs
Shesterkin -26yrs

It's not like they can goof around for 3-4 years. Their window is now.
The window is Shesterkin's current contract, which means this season and two more for the Rangers.

After that, things get dicey, even with a major cap increase. Because his agent is not oblivious to the cap increasing. These guys negotiate in terms of % of cap, not overall number. He'll get a Lundqvist-type contract next time around, and that's going to be tough to build an elite roster around.

sennysensen

Feb 7, 2018
I agree. NY Rangers are favourites for the cup this season. Very well-built team, with top-notch goaltending.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad