The New York Rangers are a perfectly built team this year

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Lol how are the Rangers young players “elite”?

They’re basically the same team as they were last year with Strome out and Trocheck in.

And that team needed a 3rd string goalie and 7 games to win a series.

GreenLine

May 24, 2021
I simply do not see any weaknesses in the Rangers roster this season, they are solid in every department. In my mind they are the best team in the East and only the Avs match them.

Vezina winning goalie in Shestyorkin

Norris winning defender in Fox

Elite 1C in Zibanejad

Elite 1W in Panarin

Great 2C in Trocheck

50 goal scorer in Kreider

Big physical presence in Blais, Reeves, Trouba

Elite young players in Lafreniere, Kakko, Kravtsov

Deadly power play and solid penalty kill

Great coaching by Gallant
Zibanejad is a good #1C but not elite.

Panarin was pretty bad in the playoffs for an "elite" player.

Trochek is not an average #2 C, not a great one.

None of those young players have shown anything remotely elite yet.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
My 2 cents is Rangers should have did everything they could to get Eichel because that would be the final piece. I would even overpay to get Buffalo to eat some salary

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
They’re very good and will use the same formula as last year: a deadly Powerplay and Igor. If the young guys start hitting their potential then yeah they’ll be a very tough out. Then of course when they get Kane then this thread might make more sense.

You 'Orns!
Feb 11, 2004
Mannahatta
My 2 cents is Rangers should have did everything they could to get Eichel because that would be the final piece. I would even overpay to get Buffalo to eat some salary
The missing piece in a pre-cap world. They would be a fundamentally different team if they'd traded for Eichel.

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
That's good we need a few top end teams to make things competitive for the cup. I don't want health to be the only challenge Colorado faces.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
A run and gun style that relies on Shesterkin to be amazing for them to win. Man Ranger fans must have nightmares of Shesty going down to injury. Halak, Domingue, and a Defense that sucks at playing team defence doesn't sound like a winning combination.

Devonator

Jan 5, 2003
Well I am not sure I would call those young players elite...at least not yet....they may well do so eventually....however I agree with the general synopsis of this post....the Rangers are a team that in the next
2-3 seasons are going to be a threat for the Cup.....people are not paying them a whole lot of attention but
they have a nice mix of veterans and youth and a top notch elite goalie......they are certainly one of the teams that
has to be considered as a Cup possibility.

the_fan

Have we traded Mikko yet?
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Aren't they built the same as last year? Don't remember them making any big changes

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
They need big steps forward from their young guys. Remember last year they were regularly outshot and made it in with all key players playing close to or at their peak ability (Shesterkin, Kreider, Panarin, Zibanejad, Fox).

Luckily for them they have young players that have the ability to improve their game, so it will be an interesting year.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Ok other teams fan view.

Shesh had a career year, even if he doesn't play as well hes still a top goalie, but let's be honest he's the only reason you guys made the playoffs last year.

Krieder also had a career year and will almost certainly not hit that number again.

Trocheck (I'm a Canes fan) was a spark plug for this team for a few years and most fans including myself loved him here, but he has some defensive lapses that lead to goals and he gets out of position quite a bit.

The rest of what you said is true but the Rangers lack deapth and an injury or two could derailed them pretty quickly.

All that being said even with a few injuries I still see them as a playoff team but let's not act like they are all of the sudden the Avs only competition.

This take needs to die a painful death. It's not true.

1) Georgiev, a terrible goalie had a higher save % than the 9 seed. Mind you, it was a special year where the 9 seed had a really poor record. But technically last year this was the case. The Rangers with an average goalie last year would likely have been in the Wild Card discussion.

2) I don't know about last year but I looked at Lightning in their two cup seasons and Georgiev had a better record than Curtis McElhinney had either season. Now Georgiev is probably a better goalie but he's horrible in his own right.

So this idea that the Rangers were uniquely bad without Shesterkin is laughable.

They need big steps forward from their young guys. Remember last year they were regularly outshot and made it in with all key players playing close to or at their peak ability (Shesterkin, Kreider, Panarin, Zibanejad, Fox).

Luckily for them they have young players that have the ability to improve their game, so it will be an interesting year.

They won't have eye catching stats at the end of the year but Lafreniere, Kakko, and even Chytil most definitely are worlds better than they were last year. They don't get PP1 time because the Rangers have one of the best PP1 units in the league so they'll have stats that will make people think they're not that great. But while not exactly Crosby and McDavid these guys are solid top 6 contributors.

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax
Lol how are the Rangers young players “elite”?

They’re basically the same team as they were last year with Strome out and Trocheck in.
Add playoff grit to that list.

.. and don’t dare call Kaako a bust. He’s going to be a total superstar despite not showing a flash of anything since his debut. Trust me bro!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad