GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
^^^She’s awesome
She sure is.

BTW, I hope you are feeling better.

A good friend is learning "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" on acoustic guitar and appreciates the chord progressions. Great song,

Do you remember when this happened? 1977. November, I believe. I grew up in Michigan, so I remember it well.

"Sit Down Young Stranger" (aka "If You Could Read My Mind," 1970),

Last edited:

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
She sure is.

A good friend is learning "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" on acoustic guitar and appreciates the chord progressions. Great song,

Do you remember when this happened? 1977. November, I believe. I grew up in Michigan, so I remember it well.

"Sit Down Young Stranger" (aka "If You Could Read My Mind," 1970),

Feeling great, thanks. Testing negative now.

Post just shows how phenomenal Lightfoot was.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
Jeff Lynne was under the influence

I'm not a live music person for several reasons, but I noticed "Jeff Lynne's ELO" will be playing TD Garden. I'm sure it will be a fine show.

Now, there are three things I will say about Mr. Lynne and ELO.

1] He's a tremendously talented musician, songwriter and producer.

2] Lynne and ELO had a reputation, earned in my opinion, for what I can only call an airless, pneumatically sealed sound. Those records are great, but they have a strangely compressed, over-produced feel.

Granted it was 1980, but the theme song for Xanadu is a typical example,

That's less the case in Lynne's work for George Harrison, Tom Petty and others.

Given what he had to work with -- half baked, home recorded demos -- this tendency is prominent in Lynne's treatment of Lennon's "Free As a Bird" and "Real Love" from the Anthology release.

3] Jeff Lynne has not changed his "look," such as it is, in, like, ever. Not your typical "rock star," he's the shy, nerdy type. He's almost anonymous and appears to prefer it that way.

Rock on, Jeffrey,

Hyde Park,

Wembley,

But wait, there's more!

If you're not too lazy to click the YouTube link,

Last edited:

08SeaBass08

Maybe next year.
Jul 8, 2010
Funkytown, Boogie Wonderland
Reminder: Chocolate and vanilla. That's why they make 'em.

Even so, why do some enjoy jam bands en general, and the Dead en particular?
I love the Allmans, but noodly 14-minute jams otherwise don’t really appeal to me, either. It’s also why I don’t like much prog rock or post-Bebop jazz.

But as much as the Dead were kind of the ultimate jug band, I’ve grown to appreciate their musicianship over the years. I just don’t dig the tunes. The fact they improvised their set list nightly is a strong testament to that musicianship. And the whole traveling village thing their fans did was really an awesome thing.

But again, I just don’t dig the tunes.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
She sure is.

I grew up in Wisconsin and remember it very well. I also remember when they found the wreck, too. I thought it was cool that Lightfoot made a song about it.

Here's a pretty decent cover, by a Canadian band....

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad