OT: The Music Thread: Part IX - RIP Classic Rock 92.9 WBOS-FM

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
I love the Allmans, but noodly 14-minute jams otherwise don’t really appeal to me, either. It’s also why I don’t like much prog rock or post-Bebop jazz.

But as much as the Dead were kind of the ultimate jug band, I’ve grown to appreciate their musicianship over the years. I just don’t dig the tunes. The fact they improvised their set list nightly is a strong testament to that musicianship. And the whole traveling village thing their fans did was really an awesome thing.

But again, I just don’t dig the tunes.
Agree per the Allman Brothers. Everything else...

Last edited:

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
This new song dropped at midnight
I First heard this song at Rock the Country Ocala ... so powerful great message ... can't wait for the new album.

Brantley Gilbert
Me And My House

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I love the Allmans, but noodly 14-minute jams otherwise don’t really appeal to me, either. It’s also why I don’t like much prog rock or post-Bebop jazz.

But as much as the Dead were kind of the ultimate jug band, I’ve grown to appreciate their musicianship over the years. I just don’t dig the tunes. The fact they improvised their set list nightly is a strong testament to that musicianship. And the whole traveling village thing their fans did was really an awesome thing.

But again, I just don’t dig the tunes.

I agree wholeheartedly with your post. For me "progressive" rock is an excuse for so called virtuosos to show off their technical skills. OK fine you can play your instrument for 10 minutes without stopping. Big whoop. What does it add to the song??? Not much except a bathroom break for anyone listening to it. :eyeroll:

Babajingo

Reminder: Chocolate and vanilla. That's why they make 'em.

Even so, why do some enjoy jam bands en general, and the Dead en particular?
Head here. Was never into the scene but appreciated it. I love their music. Especially if you listen to the stuff in the 70s, before coke and heroin started to take over. I don't consider them a jam band. Many of my Dead friends love jam bands like Phish, String Cheese Incident, ... I think they suck. they repeat the same 4 or 5 notes for 10 mins. If you listen to the Dead, they are always improvising. Especially Jerry and Phil Lesh (bassist).
But I get why people don't like it. That's cool. I don't like hip hop but others do. Whatever makes you happy.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
Head here. Was never into the scene but appreciated it. I love their music. Especially if you listen to the stuff in the 70s, before coke and heroin started to take over. I don't consider them a jam band. Many of my Dead friends love jam bands like Phish, String Cheese Incident, ... I think they suck. they repeat the same 4 or 5 notes for 10 mins. If you listen to the Dead, they are always improvising. Especially Jerry and Phil Lesh (bassist).
But I get why people don't like it. That's cool. I don't like hip hop but others do. Whatever makes you happy.

I appreciate what you're saying.

I would not consider myself a proper musician, though I was a lead singer in many bands years ago.

My soul does not go immediately to jazz, but I respect and admire the musicianship of real jazz players.

They're tight in the pocket, they improvise all over the place, and come back together on a dime. Impressive.

In the same way, I think I understand what you're saying about the Dead. And community shows itself in many forms.

God bless Pigpen and Jerry Garcia wherever they are, and Bob Weir too.

☮️

Reactions: Babajingo

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
One of the best concerts I went to (not expecting it to be one of the best) was Sting's Nothing like the Sun tour. It was in the late 80s in Mansfield MA (It was called Great Woods at the time) He had some excellent musicians with him (Kenny Kirkland on keyboards/ Branford Marsalis on sax)

Last edited:

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
One of the best concerts I went to (not expecting it to be one of the best) was Sting's Nothing like the Sun tour. It was in the late 80s in Mansfield MA (It was called Great Woods at the time) He had some excellent musicians with him (Kenny Kirkland on keyboards/ Branford Marsalis on sax)

I'm a big Sting fan. Coincidentally, I was planning to post some Police stuff later. I'll get around to that, but here's a favorite from Nothing Like the ☀️ ,

aguineapig72

Jun 28, 2023
AGpig72. I was record shopping today and this band was playing. Thinking you can share some thoughts. Owner said Brit band not well known but excellent.

The founder and lead singer of the group was an original Yardbird

Keith's sister Jane was in the original band

Keith left Renaissance after the first album and was a producer in England but was killed in an accident at his home in 1976

Ad

Upcoming events

• France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,632.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Israel vs Italy
    Israel vs Italy
    Wagers: 7
    Staked: $30,494.00