OT: The Music Thread: Part IX - RIP Classic Rock 92.9 WBOS-FM

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Acie

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2019
Southern Ontario
My Warren Zevon story...

His last interview on Letterman.

So back in 2018 we're on our way to see Dead & Co in Lewiston, New York and my buddy references that interview and says, "you know why we're doing this? We've got to enjoy every sandwich!"

We get to the show and it's really amazing.

And then they come out for the encore and play this...

Raleighfern

Apr 7, 2017
i was fortunate to see warren zevon 3 times. 2 out of 3 were great shows, one had him nodding on his mic unfortunately. Here is very late cut of his and a few covers of the same song.
I saw the dead cover wherewolves in springfield 5/11/78, it's a dicks picks and then also the JGB on halloween 1992 i think. one of my favorite song writers for sure.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
i was fortunate to see warren zevon 3 times. 2 out of 3 were great shows, one had him nodding on his mic unfortunately. Here is very late cut of his and a few covers of the same song.
I saw the dead cover wherewolves in springfield 5/11/78, it's a dicks picks and then also the JGB on halloween 1992 i think. one of my favorite song writers for sure.

I always loved this song.

Reactions: Raleighfern

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
From "Where The Action Is" in 1966 - one of the dancers would 15 years later have one of the biggest selling singles in the 80s (gag) and another would be nominated by the Oscars for 'Best Supporting Actress'

Toni Basil ("Mickey")?

The other one I don't know. Maybe Freda Fumblebomb-Peoples.

Reactions: Fenway

aguineapig72

Jun 28, 2023
Heard someone say "Once you enter the Church of Gene Clark you never leave".

"She walked into my life with her cold evil eyes With the length of her mind she darked the sun"

Bernie Leadon played on Dillard & Clark, then joined Linda's band and was on this cover. Later a couple guys named Henley and Frey joined the band.

Gene and Bernie wrote this though Bernie said he only arranged the chords in the bridge, Gene wrote the words

"I looked right at the facts there, but I may as well
Have been completely blind"

Bernie took it along to the Eagles

Dreams cover much time Still they leave blind
The will to begin
I searched for you there And now look for you from within

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
Heard someone say "Once you enter the Church of Gene Clark you never leave".

"She walked into my life with her cold evil eyes With the length of her mind she darked the sun"

Bernie Leadon played on Dillard & Clark, then joined Linda's band and was on this cover. Later a couple guys named Henley and Frey joined the band.

Gene and Bernie wrote this though Bernie said he only arranged the chords in the bridge, Gene wrote the words

"I looked right at the facts there, but I may as well
Have been completely blind"

Bernie took it along to the Eagles

Dreams cover much time Still they leave blind
The will to begin
I searched for you there And now look for you from within

A very talented artist, but unfortunately, something of a mess as a human being,

I am a Byrds fan, and it happens that Gene Clark co-wrote my absolute favorite.

As most here likely know, "Eight Miles High" was rising on the charts when it was essentially banned by American radio.

At least that's the story everyone has heard. A countervailing argument is that, more likely, the song's experimental and less than commercial sound was to blame.

Note the trippy bass, the influence of Coltrane (McGuinn), and Clark's proto psychedelic lyrics, all blending perfectly with those trademark choirboy harmonies.

One of the greatest pop songs ever recorded and a striking snapshot of a musical and cultural moment in time,

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad