OT: The Music Thread: Part IX - RIP Classic Rock 92.9 WBOS-FM

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bruinsfan1968

Make America United Again! Save our Democracy!
May 6, 2019
Check that, it was two years before his helicopter crash. The “Live Alive” tour, April 10, 1988. The interwebz really are something.
Yeah, was a really nice guy! Got to meet him and his boys after the Concert with Jeff Beck at the LA Sports Arena. Never will forget that moment!

Reactions: 08SeaBass08

Raleighfern

Apr 7, 2017
Had the chance to meet SRV maybe a year (?) before his passing. Was local crew at a show in Springfield. He gave me a pick after he soundchecked. There were a couple of other local guys with me. He came right over to us and thanked us for working the show. Asked us all kinds of questions about ourselves. Such an absolute sweetheart. One of my favorite memories from the music biz days.
amazing. i love angela strehli, I've seen her several times and her show is always great with a kick ass band.
SRV is at the top of the fern was an idiot and could have seen live but didn't list.

Caper Bruins fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
I find myself going back in time musically . Kind of sick of the classic rock genre . I was watching a Bill Maher podcast and he recommended the album A man alone by Frank Sinatra. I gave it a real chance and grew to love it . I’ve been hooked on Frank Sinatra since then . There’s so much more to Sinatra than the New York New York stuff . I like his early Columbia period , particularly.

Reactions: GordonHowe and BMC

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
I had tickets to see SRV at the Palladium in NYC, on New Year's Eve 1988. In a very "Good Will Hunting" like scenario, I skipped the show because I met a girl. We really hit it off and she moved to Boston from NC shortly after. We dated for 3+ years after that, even got engaged, but it didn't work out for various reasons. Of course SRV died less than 2 years after that New Years Eve and I never got to see him.

When the relationship was finally done, I got an email from a friend who was there that night expressing condolences in his own special way - It simply read "Should've went to see Stevie Ray Vaughan!"

Ozzy Osbourne

Nov 14, 2023
SRV was obviously a great guitarist. For me it’s Eddie Van Halen, Randy Rhodes, and Zakk Wylde in no particular order.

Zakk never gets mentioned here despite playing for Ozzy and Pantera as well as his own bands, Black Label Society and Zakk Sabath. Odd.

bruinsfan1968

Make America United Again! Save our Democracy!
May 6, 2019
I had tickets to see SRV at the Palladium in NYC, on New Year's Eve 1988. In a very "Good Will Hunting" like scenario, I skipped the show because I met a girl. We really hit it off and she moved to Boston from NC shortly after. We dated for 3+ years after that, even got engaged, but it didn't work out for various reasons. Of course SRV died less than 2 years after that New Years Eve and I never got to see him.

When the relationship was finally done, I got an email from a friend who was there that night expressing condolences in his own special way - It simply read "Should've went to see Stevie Ray Vaughan!"
On August 27, 1990, the day he died, I was driving thru Downtown LA, when I heard the news on the radio. I had to find a spot to pull over and cry my eyes out, remembering what it was like to meet him the year before.
For a few years, if I wasn't working I would play his music all day long!

Last edited:

08SeaBass08

Maybe next year.
Jul 8, 2010
Funkytown, Boogie Wonderland
SRV was obviously a great guitarist. For me it’s Eddie Van Halen, Randy Rhodes, and Zakk Wylde in no particular order.

Zakk never gets mentioned here despite playing for Ozzy and Pantera as well as his own bands, Black Label Society and Zakk Sabath. Odd.
I don’t know that anyone’s specifically had a discussion about any particular rock guitar players. Rhoads apparently hated playing metal as well as the lifestyle (he didn’t drink or do drugs, IIRC) and wanted to leave Ozzy and return to classical guitar. Supremely talented and innovative. Wylde, to me, has the skill and chops, but doesn’t have the feel or soul (for lack of a better description) that Rhoads had.

Edward was on his own planet. Totally did his thing differently from anyone else.

Reactions: Donnie Shulzhoffer

Ozzy Osbourne

Nov 14, 2023
I don’t know that anyone’s specifically had a discussion about any particular rock guitar players. Rhoads apparently hated playing metal as well as the lifestyle (he didn’t drink or do drugs, IIRC) and wanted to leave Ozzy and return to classical guitar. Supremely talented and innovative. Wylde, to me, has the skill and chops, but doesn’t have the feel or soul (for lack of a better description) that Rhoads had.

Edward was on his own planet. Totally did his thing differently from anyone else.
I don’t think Randy even liked having long hair and he loved classical guitar. He was amazing. He died so long ago I was still in high school.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL

For me, there are a bunch of guitar players who you can identify easily just by listening to them play. Either by how they have their guitar tuned, or by their style. Some of them, off the top of my head...

Stevie Ray Vaughn
Hendrix
Mark Knopfler
Brian May
The Edge
David Gilmour
Jerry Garcia

Raleighfern

Apr 7, 2017
For me, there are a bunch of guitar players who you can identify easily just by listening to them play. Either by how they have their guitar tuned, or by their style. Some of them, off the top of my head...

Stevie Ray Vaughn
Hendrix
Mark Knopfler
Brian May
The Edge
David Gilmour
Jerry Garcia
i'll add a few to your great list
santana
slash
lowell george
David lindlley

Reactions: RoccoF14

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
One of the best psychedelic rock acts in recent memory, in my opinion, Tame Impala's 2015 album Currents is a modern classic when it comes to rock music and proves that the genre ain't dead. Combining aspects of disco, synth-pop, and R&B into his music, Perth native Kevin Parker made an absolute modern classic of an album that both calls back to previous eras of psychedelic music whilst staying contemporary. The guitars and synths play well off of each other, the drums and bass are punchy as hell, and the lyrical content is utterly hypnotizing when Parker sings it. Tame Impala is arguably the best psychedelic rock group to come out in the past ten years since MGMT, which is a weird thing for me to say because it feels like MGMT is still a recent band. The big hitters are songs like "Less I Know The Better", "Let It Happen", "New Person, Same Old Mistakes", as well as "Eventually" and "Cause I'm A Man" among others. To put it another way, the songs on this album are so solid, it was good enough for Rihanna to decide to cover "New Person, Same Old Mistakes" a year later.

If you want good rock music from recent groups, Tame Impala isn't a bad choice to sample and Currents is a great place to start.

Reactions: Raleighfern

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad