OT: The Music Thread: Part IX - RIP Classic Rock 92.9 WBOS-FM

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

aguineapig72

Jun 28, 2023
You’re probably asking yourselves why we’re talking about this band and wanting me to get to the point. You’re in luck because I’m going to answer it with the assistance of an article posted by BBC Radio6,

“The first album to define its own contents as psychedelic was the debut album by Texas garage rockers The 13th Floor Elevators, in October 1966 (The Psychedelic Sounds of the 13th Floor Elevators).”

Elevator going up

Raleighfern

Apr 7, 2017
I think this is my favorite thread on the boards, while I may not like every artist or tune that is posted here , more often than not, someone posts tunes by a group or artist I had never heard of and I get hooked so keep it up folks, love it

Paul Kelly is great. thanks for posting. i saw him once at slims in san fran. 1998 or so.

Reactions: GordonHowe

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
I find myself going back in time musically . Kind of sick of the classic rock genre . I was watching a Bill Maher podcast and he recommended the album A man alone by Frank Sinatra. I gave it a real chance and grew to love it . I’ve been hooked on Frank Sinatra since then . There’s so much more to Sinatra than the New York New York stuff . I like his early Columbia period , particularly.

Maher is good for something, then.

He's a tedious pain in the ass about many things, a bit of a jerk, but I like him.

Club Random is worth checking.

Frank's A Man Alone (1969) is straight up hilarious.

For an excellent overview of his best work, IMHO, seek out The Capitol Years. He revived and restyled the American Songbook in fabulous fashion.

It is not too much to say that Francis Albert was an interpretive genius,

1723862029171.png

His later Reprise hits are worth checking, too,

1723862290287.png

Frank liked his Jack Daniels and soda. (As do I.)

There are several stories related to this.

Recounted upon request,

1723862502854.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Caper Bruins fan

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
You’re probably asking yourselves why we’re talking about this band and wanting me to get to the point. You’re in luck because I’m going to answer it with the assistance of an article posted by BBC Radio6,

“The first album to define its own contents as psychedelic was the debut album by Texas garage rockers The 13th Floor Elevators, in October 1966 (The Psychedelic Sounds of the 13th Floor Elevators).”

Elevator going up

Yes?

How do you square that with other, contemporary American "psychedelic" bands of that era, never mind the English variety? Not talking 1967.

1965, 1966.

A. Guinea, you have torn my heart asunder.

Caper Bruins fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
Maher is good for something, then.

He's a tedious pain in the ass about many things, a bit of a jerk, but I like him.

Club Random is worth checking.

Frank's A Man Alone (1969) is straight up hilarious.

For an excellent overview of his best work, IMHO, seek out The Capitol Years. He revived and restyled the American Songbook in fabulous fashion.

It is not too much to say that Francis Albert was an interpretive genius,

View attachment 901510

His later Reprise hits are worth checking, too,

View attachment 901511

Frank liked his Jack Daniels and soda. (As do I.)

There are several stories related to this.

Recounted upon request,

View attachment 901512

I’ve been listening to the album “ Where are you “ a lot lately. I would say it’s my favourite so far but I am going through his entire discography.

aguineapig72

Jun 28, 2023
Yes?

How do you square that with other, contemporary American "psychedelic" bands of that era, never mind the English variety? Not talking 1967.

1965, 1966.

A. Guinea, you have torn my heart asunder.

First song on the charts attributed to the "San Francisco Sound" and had longer hair than the Fab Four

" You can really be a Beau Brummell baby if you just give it half a chance" - Billy Joel

Wonder who these young men grew up to be?

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.

First song on the charts attributed to the "San Francisco Sound" and had longer hair than the Fab Four

" You can really be a Beau Brummell baby if you just give it half a chance" - Billy Joel

Wonder who these young men grew up to be?

The only charlatans I know are charlatans UK. And I don't know anything about them, either. That was an '80s band.

Never a Dead guy. Never a jam band guy. That's why they make chocolate and vanilla.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
Based out of Belarus, Molchat Doma is a band that has taken aspects from former Soviet new wave groups like Kino and inter blended it with western post punk and industrial groups such as Depeche Mode, Joy Division, New Order, and others. And the sign of the band's potential as a future force in the world of post punk came with their 2018 record Etazhi (or Floors in English). Floors is a record that absolutely captures the essence of 1980s post punk without being derivative of the predecessors the band looked up to, capturing the essence of the genre while adding a Soviet/Belarusian flavor to the music. From songs like "Sudno" (Bedpan), which takes its lyrics from a poem by Soviet poet Boris Rhyzy, to songs such as "Volny" (Waves), "Kommersanty" (Businessman), and others, the album really provides songs with a catchy beat and darksome mood, with lyrics to match. Egor Shkuto did excellent with the vocals on the album and has drawn comparisons with Depeche Mode's Dave Gahan, the bass work from Pavel Kozlov was fantastic and set a good tempo, especially when complimented by Roman Komogortsev's drum work and guitars, as well as great synthesizer beats from all three men in the band. Even if you don't speak Russian, many fans of the band overseas have provided translations of the lyrics so you can follow the themes of the songs. Although I would argue the musicianship is so good that they could be singing in Klingon and I would be grooving to it. Give Molchat Doma a try, you won't regret it.

Reactions: aguineapig72

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad