Future "What if...?": Crosby's Final Years

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
grinding in the corners isn't exactly something that'll wear your body down if you've got the footwork, elusiveness, and lower body strength that crosby has

and it's not like he makes his living in front of the net like let's say perry does. he welcomes contact but his game isn't reliant on that and he has the strength to absorb it
Id venture to say 75% of crosbys goals since 2016-17 have been deflections infront of the net

Jixer19

Dec 19, 2015
Edmonton, Alberta
Fine, twist my rubber arm. Mac can come play for the Pens.

Sid confirmed to multiple people this week its a done deal. Hes just figuring out the length he wants. Hes not going anywhere and the idiots in the media can stop saying he is.
You keep your guy, we keep ours ;)

Glad to hear though that he has said that, would be weird to see him in another jersey, even if this Avs fan could dream a little

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Now that Crosby is signed, we can end the speculation, but there was an interesting line in the article talking about him re-signing.

Crosby has long desired to finish his NHL career with the Penguins, just as his boyhood hockey idol, Steve Yzerman, who played exclusively for the Detroit Red Wings. Crosby remains close with former Penguins co-majority owner Mario Lemieux, who retains a minority share in the team that drafted him No. 1 in 1984.

I've seen Habs fans say that Crosby was a huge Habs fan growing up and would want to play there, but this article flat out says that he has only wanted to play for 1 team in his career just like Yzerman did.

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I would not hold it against him if he pulls a Ray Bourque.
On another note if he stays in Pitt he will pull a Mark Messier - playing his last 4-5- maybe 6 seasons without a single play off game. That would be a bummer for Sid and all hockey fans.

Playing for Montreal has zero impact on his legacy nor changes it at all.
But still will never happen.

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Now that Crosby is signed, we can end the speculation, but there was an interesting line in the article talking about him re-signing.

I've seen Habs fans say that Crosby was a huge Habs fan growing up and would want to play there, but this article flat out says that he has only wanted to play for 1 team in his career just like Yzerman did.
Yup. Like Yzerman, Mario, Bergeron.

The year is 2045. Crosby has been retired for almost 2 decades. Every summer Canadian fan bases still wonder if he may come back to finally lead a Canadian team to a Stanley Cup and “cement his legacy.”
Ha! Good one. 2045!
And Sullivan is still coach.
Trying to win his first play off series since 2018.

Last edited:

DrDangles

Mar 1, 2013

As much as I want to see Sid break into the top 5 scoring wise, I always thought it would be cool if he ended up right beside Yzerman. With 3 years left that probably won't happen barring injury, but it's interesting how similar their career's and production have been.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
As much as I want to see Sid break into the top 5 scoring wise, I always thought it would be cool if he ended up right beside Yzerman. With 3 years left that probably won't happen barring injury, but it's interesting how similar their career's and production have been.
He's going to be close or above Howe in points my guess.

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
crosby's positioning has always been one of his biggest strengths. he always puts himself in high percentage situations and has done so throughout his entire career
one of his biggest strengths......yep, one of many biggest strengths

Let me just state something before anything else, because I know there will be people who will want to make fun of this thread. I do believe that Crosby will finish his career in Pittsburgh. So, if he ends up signing somewhere else as a FA or gets traded this season, I will be shocked. This is just done for fun.

With that said, Crosby has yet to sign a new contract with the Pens, and some journalists, experts, fans, etc. have started talking about what other team could possibly try to get Crosby. The teams that get the most mentions (as far as I can tell) are: Detroit, Colorado, Winnipeg, Dallas, Las Vegas, and Montreal.

Now my questions for everyone here are pretty simple. IF Crosby ended up not staying in Pittsburgh, which of these six teams do you think would be more likely to get him? What percentage chance would you give each of these teams to obtain Sid? And, finally, is there another team not mentioned here that you could see gunning for him?

I'll start.

1) Colorado (30%)
2) Las Vegas (20%)
3) Detroit (20%)
4) Dallas (15%)
5) Montreal (10%)
6) Winnipeg (5%)
Sid being back is great for Pens.

Sullivan being back is not.

No play offs again.

Reactions: ncm7772

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Sid will finish #2 in points having played his full career in Pittsburgh and ultimately be remembered as one of the absolute greatest to ever lace them up. We can what if health, both for Sid and for those before him, like Mario, but ultimately Sid will sit (most likely) at #2 all time in scoring, with 3 Cups, one team and a legacy that lasts a century. And that’s as a Rangers fan who used to call him Cindy Crysby (but we’re the same age, so I was 22 calling a 22 year old Sid that).

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Sid will finish #2 in points

326 points away is a lot of points away, that around Messier post 36 years old total (335) who played until he was 43, scoring is higher now than the dpe, but he could still finish below Howe 1850 pts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad