Gimme Three Steps

Flirtin' With Disaster

Fire On The Mountain

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
He was a favorite of Jimi too. They jammed frequently and Jimi wanted to start a band with Stephen but it was never to be. They recorded Woodstock before CSNY did with Jimi on Bass

Stephen wrote this for his friends Jimi, Duane and Alan.
'Three good men, I knew well, Never see again"

Hendrix, Allman and...?

Oh my God.

I haven't thought of that song in at least 40 plus years.

Sorry to those who dig it, but always hated prog rock.

Reactions: aguineapig72

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
Bonus tract ... this just dropped shortly after Midnight
REMASTERED IN HD!
Official Music Video for Refugee performed by Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers

Now back to regular scheduled music ...

Gimme Three Steps

Flirtin' With Disaster

Fire On The Mountain

This is literally the only Marshall Tucker tune I know. And I haven't thought of it in forty plus years, either,

Skynyrd on the other hand,

aguineapig72

Jun 28, 2023

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
Just for fun :
Agree or disagree?

I grew up on Beatles and other classic rock. But their are no true (classic style) rock artists today - where are the new Beatles, Stones, Who, Floyd, Aerosmith, Petty, U2, Dire Straits (so many others). True rock genre stopped birthing new artists/bands some time in the late 80's - '90s. I stopped listening to the radio (modern) rock around 2000. I have my own collection of music that I would listen to. Around 2015 I found a local radio station that played a mix of classic rock and 'new' country rock, I found the country music they were playing to be the rock that I was missing ... the rock style of my youth.
People may call me crazy and can disagree but the rock music many of us grew up on is no longer coming out of Britain/Europe. Now I'm not talking twangy country; (for me) there is a new breed of US country rock artists that are writing and playing rock n roll of the style we grew up on. It's home grown rock n roll ... being played in what has been classified as 'country' / country rock.

Can someone name the top ten rock n roll bands (new bands that came out since 1995) of today? Top 5? Even 1 that is a household name?
Five Finger Death Punch?
Nickelback?
I'm finding it hard to think of anyone that will have the same impact as the bands of my youth.
There's just not much out there.
It's sad to say but even if rock, as we once knew it, isn"t dead; it is terminally ill.

Reactions: GordonHowe and BMC

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Just for fun :
Agree or disagree?

I grew up on Beatles and other classic rock. But their are no true (classic style) rock artists today - where are the new Beatles, Stones, Who, Floyd, Aerosmith, Petty, U2, Dire Straits (so many others). True rock genre stopped birthing new artists/bands some time in the late 80's - '90s. I stopped listening to the radio (modern) rock around 2000. I have my own collection of music that I would listen to. Around 2015 I found a local radio station that played a mix of classic rock and 'new' country rock, I found the country music they were playing to be the rock that I was missing ... the rock style of my youth.
People may call me crazy and can disagree but the rock music many of us grew up on is no longer coming out of Britain/Europe. Now I'm not talking twangy country; (for me) there is a new breed of US country rock artists that are writing and playing rock n roll of the style we grew up on. It's home grown rock n roll ... being played in what has been classified as 'country' / country rock.

Can someone name the top ten rock n roll bands (new bands that came out since 1995) of today? Top 5? Even 1 that is a household name?
Five Finger Death Punch?
Nickelback?
I'm finding it hard to think of anyone that will have the same impact as the bands of my youth.
There's just not much out there.
It's sad to say but even if rock, as we once knew it, isn"t dead; it is terminally ill.

Not gonna get into who's good and who isn't. People like what they like. Your taste in music is very different than mine. Personally, I think most of the 'new' country you refer to is awful. But again, that's just my personal taste and not an indictment on anyone else.

As for me, regarding bands from 1995 on, I'd argue that the Foo Fighters are one of the best pure Rock n Roll bands this country has ever produced.

Its an era thing, to be honest. The songs we listened to as a youth resonated with us and we related to it. That's why they had the impact they did. Any good music, regardless of era, does that. Sure bands today don't have the impact on us that they did when we were young, but that's because most of them aren't here for our generation. They're here for our kids.

Last edited:
Reactions: JAD

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
As for me, I'd argue that the Foo Fighters are one of the best pure Rock n Roll bands this country has ever produced.

I'll agree with that sentiment. As for newer rock and roll, Greta Van Fleet, while derivative, are certainly a rock and roll band that could transport back to 1972 and not miss a beat.

Babajingo

At work we were talking about first concerts.
Mine was Gregg Allman at Uncle Sam's Nantasket Beach, in '83 I believe.

69711234_2509182232457911_4136051302729777152_n.jpg

But in reality it was Lou Rawls at the Music Circus :)

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
I'll agree with that sentiment. As for newer rock and roll, Greta Van Fleet, while derivative, are certainly a rock and roll band that could transport back to 1972 and not miss a beat.
Since we're on the topic of modern Artists/Musicians post 1995, here are a bunch more that I really like, just off the top of my head:

The Black Keys
Queens of the Stone Age
pretty much anything Nathaniel Rateliff does..
Kings of Leon
Jason Isbell
Chris Stapleton
Chris "Kingfish" Ingram

I'm sure there's a ton more.....Just haven't the time to think it through.

At work we were talking about first concerts.
Mine was Gregg Allman at Uncle Sam's Nantasket Beach, in '83 I believe.

View attachment 894468

But in reality it was Lou Rawls at the Music Circus :)

LOL. My dad was a HUGE Lou Rawls fan. He wore that guy's records out when I was a kid....

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Since we're on the topic of modern Artists/Musicians post 1995, here are a bunch more that I really like, just off the top of my head:

The Black Keys
Queens of the Stone Age
pretty much anything Nathaniel Rateliff does..
Kings of Leon
Jason Isbell
Chris Stapleton
Chris "Kingfish" Ingram

Post 1995? That opens it way up. Just a few:

White Stripes
The Killers
Vampire Weekend
The 1975

• Love
Reactions: RoccoF14

Ad