Weekes: Askarov has informed the Predators he will not report to AHL team, asks for trade

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Kevin Weekes one of the few dudes to go to his barber and ask them to "Push my shit all the way back"

belfour30

Connor Bedard Fangirl
Dec 14, 2019
Trotz and the Preds technically have the hammer on this, yes. They can suspend him while he fails to report and just hold firm until he does. But I can guarantee you, that's not really a great idea if you want to sign players in the future. Being that kind of a jackass, essentially forcing a player out of the league? Yeah, that's going to fly well among the agents and other players.
I'm also not sure if he can sign in the KHL while still under contract. I think it will take him not reporting to get a deal done. I'd imagine nothing happens until close before the season.

frederixx

Dec 5, 2005
I pray to the hockey gods every single day that the Habs do not trade for Askarov, or if they do, it is nothing significant.

Please Hughes, don't do it.
He won't be cheap.

But i doubt Montreal goes after him since they already have Primeau and Montembault. And also one of the best goalie prospects in Fowler

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I'm also not sure if he can sign in the KHL while still under contract. I think it will take him not reporting to get a deal done. I'd imagine nothing happens until close before the season.
He can go to the KHL if the Preds agree to terminate his contract. Or I guess if they loan him back? Not sure of a recent case of a player under NHL contract being loaned back to KHL though. But that's moot, the Preds won't be doing him any favors on that front, I'm sure.

If he doesn't report for training camp with the Preds he'll just be suspended and sit at home. KHL isn't an option until after his contract expires.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Weird he’d be talking with the Habs then, since they didn’t have a top 4 pick.

The actual rumor was they wanted either Reinbacher or one of the centers (not confirmed) and the reason they weren't talking to Arizona or Philly about their pick (trying to get michkov) was because it was well known the Habs wanted Reinbacher or one of the Centers.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Trotz and the Preds technically have the hammer on this, yes. They can suspend him while he fails to report and just hold firm until he does. But I can guarantee you, that's not really a great idea if you want to sign players in the future. Being that kind of a jackass, essentially forcing a player out of the league? Yeah, that's going to fly well among the agents and other players.
By the same token this is the second time this agent has pulled the not going to sign/not going to report tactic with a Russian player this off-season. Can guarantee he is going to burn goodwill around the league a lot faster than Trotz.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
It's crazy the amount of people in this thread who thinks he's ready or that he'd be better off playing 5-10 NHL games over the majority of AHL starts right now.
So from your perspective, or any other Preds fan who wants to chime in, do you think this trade request is specifically about Askarov demanding NHL time this year or more about him seeing the writing on the wall with Saros?

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
The actual rumor was they wanted either Reinbacher or one of the centers (not confirmed) and the reason they weren't talking to Arizona or Philly about their pick (trying to get michkov) was because it was well known the Habs wanted Reinbacher or one of the Centers.
There was no non-Habs source mentioning anything other than the top 4 centers in that draft. I think one Montreal source came up with the Reinbacher interest and it has stuck with Habs fans since.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN

Nashville didn't want Reinbacher, Trotz wanted to start his tenure off with a bang by acquiring one of the top forwards.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The fact that Habs wouldn't trade their 5th tells us Hughes is not that impressed and wont offer our 1st.

Total guess but if i was to trade for pickes even up, I'd put him at 15th and lower. Or something like Hage and a second.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
So from your perspective, or any other Preds fan who wants to chime in, do you think this trade request is specifically about Askarov demanding NHL time this year or more about him seeing the writing on the wall with Saros?

Well I think before Saros re-signed he(or more specifically his agent) said he didn't want to spend more time in the AHL, but after Saros re-signed it kind of cemented that idea that he wouldn't want to play 2nd fiddle and have to wait his turn.

Askarov had great moments this year, I think he let in 4 goals in the entire month of December or something like that, but his consistency is a problem and he had issues with his fundamentals (which would have likely been solved with some time with Mitch Korn, but I digress). The best thing for him would be to play the majority of games wherever he is so he gets some consistency going, Nashville is focusing on winning with Josi, Saros, Forsberg, Stamkos and ROR the main goal for them is winning, making sure Askarov plays in the NHL this season is not a priority and rightfully so.

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020
Just a month ago, I called that Askarov is gone and Nashville fans insisted he will stay and his path to being starter is clear unless someone offers them a top 5 pick or huge Carlsson level blue chip prospect lol

I might go look for those posts. The dude was convinced Askarov will be Saros' understudy like Saros was for Rinne and that Askarov will understand he isn't proven at NHL level and play ball lol
Nashville and their fans can have all the ideas they want about Askarov’s future. They don’t mean anything unless Askarov shares the same vision.

They sat on their hands and did nothing and now they’ve lost a lot of leverage in a trade.

Reactions: 67 others

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
We are august 19th. Why would Askarov act like he's already been defeated by Wedgwood and Saros, if he's too good for the AHL? It is telling that this cream puff is already picturing himself being sent down, and is even throwing a preventive tantrum about it.

Demanding a trade is bad enough by itself but I guess it"s understandable how some athletes aren't fighters and want an easier path. But as a 22 years old unproven goalie, the most unpredictable position in hockey, flat out saying that you won't play in the AHL is a bit more worrisome.

If a team acquires him, this guy seems to have expectations of playing games in the NHL, regardless if he earned it or not. I personally wouldn't feel comfortable guaranteeing a 22yo with almost no NHL experience that he's not gonna end up in the AHL.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Nashville and their fans can have all the ideas they want about Askarov’s future. They don’t mean anything unless Askarov shares the same vision.

They sat on their hands and did nothing and now they’ve lost a lot of leverage in a trade.

Did we sit on our hands, or did he just not accept our plans for him. We can easily bring him up when he's ready and he can easily supplant Saros when the time comes, even if that means we are "stuck" with an expensive backup.

Reactions: Bringer of Jollity

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
We are august 19th. Why would Askarov act like he's already been defeated by Wedgwood and Saros, if he's too good for the AHL? It is telling that this cream puff is already picturing himself being sent down, and is even throwing a preventive tantrum about it.

Demanding a trade is bad enough by itself but I guess it"s understandable how some athletes aren't fighters and want an easier path. But as a 22 years old unproven goalie, the most unpredictable position in hockey, flat out saying that you won't play in the AHL is a bit more worrisome.

If a team acquires him, this guy seems to have expectations of playing games in the NHL, regardless if he earned it or not. I personally wouldn't feel comfortable guaranteeing a 22yo with almost no NHL experience that he's not gonna end up in the AHL.
Stupid move by a kid...and stupid agent.

No GM is going into that trade with the very real fear of Askarov taking off for Russia. Total loss of their assets.

This will be an interesting trade...

• Haha
Reactions: Curufinwe

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Probably the latter more than the former, but bit of both.
Well I think before Saros re-signed he(or more specifically his agent) said he didn't want to spend more time in the AHL, but after Saros re-signed it kind of cemented that idea that he wouldn't want to play 2nd fiddle and have to wait his turn.

Askarov had great moments this year, I think he let in 4 goals in the entire month of December or something like that, but his consistency is a problem and he had issues with his fundamentals (which would have likely been solved with some time with Mitch Korn, but I digress). The best thing for him would be to play the majority of games wherever he is so he gets some consistency going, Nashville is focusing on winning with Josi, Saros, Forsberg, Stamkos and ROR the main goal for them is winning, making sure Askarov plays in the NHL this season is not a priority and rightfully so.
Appreciate both of y'all's responses.

I feel like there's no team in the league that would be willing to guarantee Askarov that he wouldn't see any AHL time this season, so unless he's really wanting to spend the year in the KHL, I have to think that he'd be willing to report to the AHL team of an org that has a clear opening for an NHL starter in within a year, no?

I wonder how this scenario would play out, from a Sharks perspective. We have two mediocre NHL goaltenders who are both injury prone and UFAs at the end of the season. Tell Askarov that the AHL starter role is his, he's likely to get NHL time because of how often Blackwood especially is hurt, and if he is really knocking it out of the park in the AHL, we'll move one of our goaltenders at the trade deadline and call him up full time. NHL starter role would be his to lose next season.

Given our prospect pool, I feel confident we could work something out. But I genuinely have no idea how Askarov is going to be valued in a trade by NHL GMs.

Reactions: Sendhelplease

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009

Not necessarily. Trotz has been prepared for Askarov wanting to be traded since before he gave Saros the contract. He's showing that if he doesn't get the value he's looking for, Askarov can rot.

The Preds drafted him at 11th overall and have put in 3 full years of seasoning. If there are multiple teams interested in him, I don't see an issue waiting on a 1st + good/great prospect as the return.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Appreciate both of y'all's responses.

I feel like there's no team in the league that would be willing to guarantee Askarov that he wouldn't see any AHL time this season, so unless he's really wanting to spend the year in the KHL, I have to think that he'd be willing to report to the AHL team of an org that has a clear opening for an NHL starter in within a year, no?

I wonder how this scenario would play out, from a Sharks perspective. We have two mediocre NHL goaltenders who are both injury prone and UFAs at the end of the season. Tell Askarov that the AHL starter role is his, he's likely to get NHL time because of how often Blackwood especially is hurt, and if he is really knocking it out of the park in the AHL, we'll move one of our goaltenders at the trade deadline and call him up full time. NHL starter role would be his to lose next season.

Given our prospect pool, I feel confident we could work something out. But I genuinely have no idea how Askarov is going to be valued in a trade by NHL GMs.

I think San Jose would be a great place for him to get his NHL experience that he wants this year, they aren't contending so they can be patient with him and he fits in with the age of their upcoming core.

Reactions: Juxtaposer
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad