Weekes: Askarov has informed the Predators he will not report to AHL team, asks for trade

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
There is no path for him to be a starter in Nashville.

Building NHL experience is what is going to get him paid, not reporting to the AHL.
Just a month ago, I called that Askarov is gone and Nashville fans insisted he will stay and his path to being starter is clear unless someone offers them a top 5 pick or huge Carlsson level blue chip prospect lol

I might go look for those posts. The dude was convinced Askarov will be Saros' understudy like Saros was for Rinne and that Askarov will understand he isn't proven at NHL level and play ball lol

Reactions: vtdevils2k

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007
That would probably be a good setup for Nashville. Does Primeau require waivers? We would need someone for Milwaukee but AHL goalies can be found easily either way.
Primeau would need to pass through waivers to be sent to the AHL.

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
It's not perplexing at all if you were a coach/GM in the Preds organization watching this guy play, and could see that he wasn't ready for the NHL.

It's only perplexing if you go by HF posters who never watch him and think that just because he was a high draft pick that automatically translates into him having a divine birthright to make the show ahead of schedule.
Wedgewood went .899 last year, I'm not sure the risk is that high here

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Where was that rumoured?

Edit, saying that I think we're in a weirdly similar position as the preds, we'd probably want to trade Primeau if we're taking back Askarov
Nowhere reputable, but 2023 draft there was talk of their interest as well when Nashville was trying to move up in the draft

Moose Head

Mar 12, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Nowhere reputable, but 2023 draft there was talk of their interest as well when Nashville was trying to move up in the draft

I think the rumoured offer was Askarov and the Preds 1st for 5th overall. Habs said no. No really strong indication the Habs were interested in Askarov, just that he was offered to them.

Last edited:

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
That would probably be a good setup for Nashville. Does Primeau require waivers? We would need someone for Milwaukee but AHL goalies can be found easily either way.
He's not waiver exempt.

He can fill in as average to low average backup.

We want to upgrade Primeau so that should tell you something. The vast difference is we know who Primeau is and what he can do...but we don't know what Askorov can do.

Is he Price Jr or Primeau Plus?

Very high risk for us because if Monty gets hurt and Askorov greatness is a fantasy, we are going to finish with a dozen wins on the season. Vs 2 dozen with Primeau. Yipee...

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
Yeah Nashville kind of biffed this. They should have gave him some NHL run last year if they knew they probably were resigning Saros. If he comes up and lights it up then yeah, you can talk about a Corey Schneider-like return. Now they stuck with a guy who is making a public mess (I think justifiably, this is stalling his career), have less leverage in the trade, and teams have every reason to lowball because he has no meaningful NHL track record.

Gregor Samsa

Sep 5, 2020
I’d be pretty surprised if he brings a very high return like a 1st +. I think a late 1st is probably as good as it will get. I don’t see some of the worse teams in need of a goalie with potential giving up a potential lottery pick

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I think the offer was Askarov and the Preds 1st for 5th overall. Habs said no. No really strong indication the Habs were interested in Askarov, just that he was offered to them.
Hughes is super high on Fowler.

The problem is that goalies are notoriously prone to fantasy outcomes. Fowler can be a complete bust facing NHL shooters. So can Askarov.

Until they play a few seasons, it's mystery meat...

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
SJ should offer any one of Edstrom/Bystedt/VGK unprotected 1st for this. Could consider Musty, which would hurt, but that could be a more likely price for all I know.

Obviously would add depending on which is the main asset in the trade.
Sharks don't need to offer all that bordleau a 2nd and a d prospect not Dickinson or muk could work

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Am I mistaken, but haven't they been tied to Askarov before?
Which they, Carolina?

There were rumors Carolina would be interested in drafting Askarov at 13 in 2020. When Nashville took Askarov at 11, Carolina was left with either Lundell (went #12) or Jarvis.

I think Carolina would still be interested in Askarov even with Kochetkov in Raleigh now, but I do wonder how they would sort out Andersen/Kochetkov/Askarov this season.

Moose Head

Mar 12, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Hughes is super high on Fowler.

The problem is that goalies are notoriously prone to fantasy outcomes. Fowler can be a complete bust facing NHL shooters. So can Askarov.

Until they play a few seasons, it's mystery meat...

Thing is, when the Preds and Habs talked, Fowler was still undrafted.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
Doesn’t want the competition to prove himself? So what Saros is signed long term, he can be traded if you unseat him. Didn’t Vasi unseat Bishop in Tampa? Luongo shoved Kidd out the door, granted both examples weren’t signed long term, but I’m not a fan of this ask.
Bishop was a bandaid at the time that's why it was so easy to move on from him and they didnt just resign the guy to an eight year deal before vasi got his chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad