Weekes: Askarov has informed the Predators he will not report to AHL team, asks for trade

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gilmour1996

Oct 16, 2022

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Per a Nashville reporter....

I want San Jose to be on this, but was hoping for next year. We can't develop goalies for shit (last was Greiss; drafted 20 years ago!). I was hoping to let him develop in Nash/Milwaukee for another year under Korn, then we could swoop in.

Can't imagine playing behind Ferraro-Ceci, Walman-Benning, Thrun-Ruuta is an exciting prospect. That said, he's 22 and has loads of talent. Playing 35 games behind Blackwood couldn't be that bad for confidence. Acquire a few top 4 d-men next year and move to a 50/50 split for a year or two.

Wouldn't mind picking up Fabbro too.

belfour30

Connor Bedard Fangirl
Dec 14, 2019
The Blackhawks have an issue where they just signed Mrazek and Brossoit to 2 year deals worth 3.3+ and cannot trade either without a Vegas style ratf***. Also, I don't think Nashville can afford to pay a backup that much.

LPHabsFan

Jul 14, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I pray to the hockey gods every single day that the Habs do not trade for Askarov, or if they do, it is nothing significant.

Please Hughes, don't do it.

knight23

Aug 13, 2024
Which they, Carolina?

There were rumors Carolina would be interested in drafting Askarov at 13 in 2020. When Nashville took Askarov at 11, Carolina was left with either Lundell (went #12) or Jarvis.

I think Carolina would still be interested in Askarov even with Kochetkov in Raleigh now, but I do wonder how they would sort out Andersen/Kochetkov/Askarov this season.

Askarov's new club is supposed game starter right?

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Thing is, when the Preds and Habs talked, Fowler was still undrafted.
Was it for 2024 or 2023 draft? I don't remember.

Either way, Askarov is not proven to give up a 5th rounder. Not even a 10th. If it was 21st plus then maybe.

Hughes is not BargainBin or Blake. Very patient and cautious.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Lmao, ok. “Stupid people?” They striking a nerve?? Tavares was a bad example seeing as how Friedman just said on 32 Thoughts that he expects Tavares to re-sign. Some players can’t/wont be traded, but there are others who fans would like to see moved while management doesn’t feel the same. Fans can be stupid, sometimes they’re more wise than management, but they don’t run the teams.

He may not be traded during his contract, but they’ve been traded before. To say anything is definitive in sports is, well, stupid.
Tavares is a good example seeing as though there have been several threads started by people here who think you can just ignore contract conditions because you want to get rid of a player who isn't playing as well as you'd like. Sergei Bobrovsky is another good example, seeing as though it's another goaltender who got a big contract, underperformed it to the point that a highly touted first round pick was in line to replace him, and yet they couldn't unload the contract if they wanted to because, you'll never believe it, but he also had a full NMC.

You implied that it would be easy to trade Saros if Askarov outplayed him, just as Bishop was traded (a key difference: Bishop had only 8 teams on an NTC), so it's not exactly clear that you even knew Saros had a full NMC. I don't think it's definitive but history tells us that it's far more likely that NMCs won't be waived and contracts will be honored as intended upon signing so we should act like those odds matter.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
The Flyers should be all over this. They need a Hart replacement.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
People will be shocked by how little he goes for. It's a toss up between him and Wallstedt on who the most overrated goalie prospect is. It'll be a 2nd and something small if it's futures.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
People will be shocked by how little he goes for. It's a toss up between him and Wallstedt on who the most overrated goalie prospect is. It'll be a 2nd and something small if it's futures.
The only one who is going to be surprised is Trotz

Moose Head

Mar 12, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Was it for 2024 or 2023 draft? I don't remember.

Either way, Askarov is not proven to give up a 5th rounder. Not even a 10th. If it was 21st plus then maybe.

Hughes is not BargainBin or Blake. Very patient and cautious.

2023. Reportedly the Preds wanted Michkov. The habs drafted Fowler the next day.

GreeningOil

Yarpmeister
Jun 22, 2016
Saskatoon
What a stupid move.

Ask and push for a trade? Fine. But choose not to report to your team as a 22 year old? That's just bad form, and a really crappy move.
Agreed in part.

I think that the other side of it was promise/ the likelihood of playing. He’s not going to get the opportunity to prove himself in the long run.

I get his point, but not reporting is a childish move imho.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
How is that a bluff to call? He's Russian. He's not going to be all broken up about playing in the KHL over the AHL making a shit ton more money in the process. Not like he's from Manitoba with no real viable options.
It’s absolutely a bluff Russian players have in their back pocket, but both players and their agents know, if they follow through with the threat, it can… and probably will backfire.

So call it a bluff or threat or negotiation tactic. Whatever the case, it’s not in his best interest to return to Russia, if he truly wants to play in the NHL.

He can destroy several years of NHL earning potential, if he goes back to the KHL and doesn’t play great. Then what?

If he goes back and is only average, the Preds will just let him marinate over there. That can turn into 2, 3, 4 years real quick. Then he returns at 25-26 under his same contract.

He’d be stupid to pull the KHL card at 22, on the verge of playing in the NHL… yet he just did it anyway. Teams won’t like that. It’s not gonna make them say, “hey let’s go get that character.”

Look, it would be one thing if he was lighting up the AHL. He wasn’t. His stats are fine, but there’s a reason he wasn’t Milwaukee’s #1 in the playoffs. Cossa outplayed him in that series. Nobody’s demanding Cossa play in the NHL this year.

We all get he wants his chance and thinks he’s ready, but it’s clear in this thread, how many fans haven’t been watching him play. They just know he was a high pick with a junior pedigree and his stats are solid. They don’t understand he’s played on a really good team. They don’t understand he’s not consistently making game saving or game changing saves. He’s been solid, but nothing special. He also has this problem, giving up the worst goals at the worst times. The exact reason he didn’t play all the series deciding games in the playoffs. One of the great differences between an average and great goalie, is making those timely saves. He’s not shown that yet. Exactly why he’s still been in the AHL.

He’s still probably the top goalie prospect in the league though. He’s close. That said, this threat can backfire and cost him several NHL earning years.

This threat is not gonna make Nashville hand him a spot, nor is it going to make other teams more interested in him, than they were yesterday. Probably less, because they don’t want the headache either.

Like I said. Nashville should just let it play out. If he earns the backup role, great. If not, and he fails to report to the AHL, and returns to Russia, let him go back and wish him well.

Worst case for Nashville is, he shows back up next summer, or in a couple of years, and he’s still playing under is current contract.

They’re in no hurry with him. They have a franchise goaltender. They hold all the cards. If teams are lowballing them, no big deal. Just let it play out. They’re under no obligation to trade him. Let him marinate.

If he goes home and lights up the KHL, then they’ll get nice value for him. Otherwise, just let him continue to develop.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I think he will keep him if the offers aren't to his liking. There's a chance he ends up in the KHL.
Trotz and the Preds technically have the hammer on this, yes. They can suspend him while he fails to report and just hold firm until he does. But I can guarantee you, that's not really a great idea if you want to sign players in the future. Being that kind of a jackass, essentially forcing a player out of the league? Yeah, that's going to fly well among the agents and other players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad