Weekes: Askarov has informed the Predators he will not report to AHL team, asks for trade

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I think San Jose would be a great place for him to get his NHL experience that he wants this year, they aren't contending so they can be patient with him and he fits in with the age of their upcoming core.
Plus they have a good number of prospects already, if we could get somebody like a Bystedt for Askarov, I think that sort of deal would meet Trotz's threshold. I don't think he'll undersell Askarov at a bargain rate, but San Jose has enough good forward prospects that they should be able to work something out with one of them.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
Did we sit on our hands, or did he just not accept our plans for him. We can easily bring him up when he's ready and he can easily supplant Saros when the time comes, even if that means we are "stuck" with an expensive backup.
Most people understand that was never going to happen. Saros is a workhorse goalie, like Hellebuyck. He plays over 3 quarters of the games even when he is playing badly, leaving a backup sitting on the bench for 3/4 of the season.

If most fantasy pundits know it's fruitless to draft backup goalies who are behind workhorses, I'm willing to bet most agents are well aware of the scenario and what it means for their clients when a workhorse goalie resigns behind a workhorse

Guys like Wedgewood, Rittich and Brossoit have accepted their lot in life as career backup goalies. The young kids who want opportunities are usually willing to go to worse teams if it means opportunities. We see it all the time with NCAA players.

Reactions: jetsforever

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
He can go to the KHL if the Preds agree to terminate his contract. Or I guess if they loan him back? Not sure of a recent case of a player under NHL contract being loaned back to KHL though.
I don't think it's that uncommon for prospects to be loaned back to the KHL.

Leafs had Artur Akhtyamov last year.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Makes sense given Nashville basically closed the door on his path to the NHL, at least through their org.

He'd probably be more receptive if the backup spot also wasn't locked down for a couple years by Wedgewood.

Reactions: PREDy 4 the Cup

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Not necessarily. Trotz has been prepared for Askarov wanting to be traded since before he gave Saros the contract. He's showing that if he doesn't get the value he's looking for, Askarov can rot.

The Preds drafted him at 11th overall and have put in 3 full years of seasoning. If there are multiple teams interested in him, I don't see an issue waiting on a 1st + good/great prospect as the return.
21-22Darcy KuemperConnor Timmins, 1st-2022, 3rd-2024
16-17Frederik Andersen1st-2016 (#30 OVR), 2nd-2017
15-16Martin Jones1st-2016 (#29 OVR), Sean Kuraly
15-16Robin Lehner *1st-205 (#21 OVR)
13-14Cory Schneider1st-2013 (#9 OVR)
11-12Semyon Varlamov1st-2012 (#11 OVR), 2nd-2012

Here are some historical goalie trades. Do you remember any that a prospect goalie returned a first AND a good/great prospect?

Reactions: AtlantaWhaler

Sendhelplease

Dec 21, 2020
Plus they have a good number of prospects already, if we could get somebody like a Bystedt for Askarov, I think that sort of deal would meet Trotz's threshold. I don't think he'll undersell Askarov at a bargain rate, but San Jose has enough good forward prospects that they should be able to work something out with one of them.
Prospect for prospect trades are obviously incredibly rare and I am not sure if I would want the Sharks to make that trade because I am traditional believer that goalies are voodoo, however, I think that trade makes a ton of sense in swapping a position of strength in the Sharks system for a position of weakness and gives the Predators a good center prospect.

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Tavares is a good example seeing as though there have been several threads started by people here who think you can just ignore contract conditions because you want to get rid of a player who isn't playing as well as you'd like. Sergei Bobrovsky is another good example, seeing as though it's another goaltender who got a big contract, underperformed it to the point that a highly touted first round pick was in line to replace him, and yet they couldn't unload the contract if they wanted to because, you'll never believe it, but he also had a full NMC.

You implied that it would be easy to trade Saros if Askarov outplayed him, just as Bishop was traded (a key difference: Bishop had only 8 teams on an NTC), so it's not exactly clear that you even knew Saros had a full NMC. I don't think it's definitive but history tells us that it's far more likely that NMCs won't be waived and contracts will be honored as intended upon signing so we should act like those odds matter.

You clearly skipped over “management didn’t want to trade these players, fans did” part of my text. Carry on all you want, these players have been traded. I didn’t say it would be easy or that they’d get value, but Askarov could’ve looked at what Nashville invested in him and decided to make life difficult for management. Instead, he’s asking for a trade. He has great pedigree, but until he proves it (and he well could be the next Roy-level goalie), he could be the next…name a list of goalies who’ve been hyped up and haven’t met expectations.

All that said, Tavares was a terrible example. Management wants to extend him, iow, they want him there.

Bishop was a bandaid at the time that's why it was so easy to move on from him and they didnt just resign the guy to an eight year deal before vasi got his chance.
Agreed, I wasn’t comparing contracts, I was simply saying that Bishop was there and Vasi played himself into the starter’s role. It’s happened over and over again. I’m not saying it doesn’t look like an easy path for Askarov, I’m saying that I’m not a fan of him not seeing a challenge and pushing his way through. He’s not a proven NHL goalie yet.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009

Here are some historical goalie trades. Do you remember any that a prospect goalie returned a first AND a good/great prospect?
Not sure...were any of them a top-3 goalie prospect at the time of their trades? I don't remember the specifics of each trade, but I remember Schneider or Lu had to be traded and Luongo had that huge contract. Varly was still an RFA at the time and if he had left for the KHL, the Caps would have received nothing in return for him.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
It's almost like, and I know this may sound crazy, the coaches and staff that are with him every day in practice and training and when he was playing in the AHL last year have seen that he's not quite ready to be a full time NHLer yet.
I don’t trust the opinions of our coaches and staff that been mismanaging our prospects for years.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass

I mean getting the 9th pick is probably better than a late first and a good prospect.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Not sure...were any of them a top-3 goalie prospect at the time of their trades? I don't remember the specifics of each trade, but I remember Schneider or Lu had to be traded and Luongo had that huge contract. Varly was still an RFA at the time and if he had left for the KHL, the Caps would have received nothing in return for him.
Schneider was coming off 3 NHL seasons of very strong play. (.930ish sv %) He would have been considered one of the stronger young NHL goalies at the time.

I believe all of them had good NHL resumes at the time of being traded which would trump the value of a prospect IMO.

Reactions: Hobnobs

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
Prospect for prospect trades are obviously incredibly rare and I am not sure if I would want the Sharks to make that trade because I am traditional believer that goalies are voodoo, however, I think that trade makes a ton of sense in swapping a position of strength in the Sharks system for a position of weakness and gives the Predators a good center prospect.
Depends on the prospect, and no way is our 1st up for grabs next year.
Bystedt or Edstrom certainly.

Celebrini, Dickenson, Musty, Smith is a no fly zone instant hang up the phone

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020
Did we sit on our hands, or did he just not accept our plans for him. We can easily bring him up when he's ready and he can easily supplant Saros when the time comes, even if that means we are "stuck" with an expensive backup.
Well, it’s a bit of both.

There was an internal plan for Askarov and so you sat on your hands when it came to trading him. You were content waiting for an offer that was too good to pass up but Askarov didn’t have that kind of patience.

Now you have a disgruntled player and a choice between acquiescing to the request for a lower offer than may have originally been received or you let a prime asset rot.

OrangePMD

Feb 2, 2021
Finland
Probably should have, Radulov was a huge missing piece for what those competitive Nashville teams could have used
I don't know what kind of money Radolov was asking after he came back to burn his ELC. He went back to Russia for four more years. Let's put it this way, a year later Ilya Kovalchuk walked away from $77 million to play in the same league where Radulov was the biggest star.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
Probably should have, Radulov was a huge missing piece for what those competitive Nashville teams could have used
Yeah Radulov's prime was spent in Russian winning multiple continental cups and a Gagarin cup, 4 KHL MVP/Hart awards and he's 2nd in all time KHL scoring.

Nashville has made it past the 2nd round 1 time in 25 years. I am reasonably sure some of them would have liked to have prime Radulov. Suter and Weber apparently stayed in contact with him and tried to talk him into coming back. Arnott and Dumont apparently disliked him and Radulov was not a Poile/Trotz type player.

Reactions: Curufinwe
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad