Weekes: Askarov has informed the Predators he will not report to AHL team, asks for trade

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
If Askarov and his agent think any team will play him as a #1, they are off their rocker and I guess that’s why we are where we are.

I do understand being annoyed with your team if they committed two years to Scott Wedgewood and basically told you “you are still gonna be in the minors for the foreseeable future”.

Sure, I’m not saying that’s not Nashville’s intent. It’s probably why Askarov is peeved. But in a vacuum, I’m waiving Wedgewood before I deal Askarov for a cut rate price. Now maybe Nashville gets a fantastic offer for Askarov and it’s all moot. Should be interesting.
100%. Of course the flip side of things is who's in the running for this that won't immediately have him in the AHL for the course of this season to begin with? If he's dead set on playing in the NHL immediately at this point it's probably Philly, San Jose, and maybe Colorado if they think he's better than Annunen.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
And how many teams are in a position to take some crappy backup who is probably making $1.5/2m? Or to waste real NHL money on sending a one-way contract goalie to the AHL?
If you like the player enough, you can make it work. If it's "well we got a backup goalie under contract anyways, our hands are tied", that would be a very lazy GM.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
100%. Of course the flip side of things is who's in the running for this that won't immediately have him in the AHL for the course of this season to begin with? If he's dead set on playing in the NHL immediately at this point it's probably Philly, San Jose, and maybe Colorado if they think he's better than Annunen.
I'm not even sure that's what he wants, but there's certainly no reason to be playing Scott Wedgewood as the back-up instead of him.

Reactions: zeeto and DaveG

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I'm not even sure that's what he wants, but there's certainly no reason to be playing Scott Wedgewood as the back-up instead of him.
The reasons to play Scott Wedgewood as Preds back-up instead of Askarov:

1) Askarov isn't any better than Wedgewood right now (probably - or if he is, he could beat out Wedgewood in training camp if he really showed it)
2) Gets Askarov 60 games in the AHL instead of 20 in the NHL
3) Askarov gets more time to work with Mitch Korn on refining his goaltending technique
3a) Learning how to position his arms
3b) Learning how to stay square to shooters and not lose his posts all the time like he does
3c) Learning to hold onto his stick
3d) Learning to stay calm and focused
3e) Working on his mental preparation and consistency

I don't think this holdout stunt bodes well for Askarov's NHL future. He wants to rush into an NHL job? It means he doesn't really believe that he has a lot of work to do. And if he doesn't want to put in that work now, he's going to have a tougher time reaching his full potential. Maybe for a little while he'll be able to get by in the NHL just with his fast legs and flexibility, but eventually he's going to need more than just relying on those freakish skills. If he would just invest that year of additional study and apply himself, it would be far better for his future, and that's what the Predators were setting up for him by signing Wedgewood.

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
could be a potential steal for some team but at the same time his ahl numbers aren't great enough to not have to report to the ahl anymore.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass

1) Askarov isn't any better than Wedgewood right now (probably - or if he is, he could beat out Wedgewood in training camp if he really showed it)
3) Askarov gets more time to work with Mitch Korn on refining his goaltending technique
3b) Learning how to stay square to shooters and not lose his posts all the time like he does

I don't think this holdout stunt bodes well for Askarov's NHL future. He wants to rush into an NHL job? It means he doesn't really believe that he has a lot of work to do. And if he doesn't want to put in that work now, he's going to have a tougher time reaching his full potential. Maybe for a little while he'll be able to get by in the NHL just with his fast legs and flexibility, but eventually he's going to need more than just relying on those freakish skills. If he would just invest that year of additional study and apply himself, it would be far better for his future, and that's what the Predators were setting up for him by signing Wedgewood.
Banking on Saros to play 60+ games, then stay healthy and expecting Wedgewood, who had the same role in Dallas and wasn't good, to maintain a high level is foolish. It's clear there's no path for him to be the back-up let alone the starter. I don't blame him for wanting out. If anyone learned anthing from Winnipeg and Nashville its not to overwork a starter in the regular season. Wedgewood was clearly brought in to be the defacto 2.

Does he want to rush into a job? No, I don't think so. But i can understand his want to be on a team that doesn't have a starter already locked up for the next 8 years.

darth5

No!
Mar 28, 2002
Smashville, TN
I mean, when it comes to goalies they know what they're talking about, especially since we brought back Korn.
I've been mulling if this is connected to Korn's return to the Preds. Maybe Korn judged him still unready for NHL games in spite of his talent (and personality). And the point about being a no-show in the playoffs is a BIG DEAL. Here he has a chance to shine 2 years running and loses slot to the other Ads goalie.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Banking on Saros to play 60+ games, then stay healthy and expecting Wedgewood, who had the same role in Dallas and wasn't good, to maintain a high level is foolish. It's clear there's no path for him to be the back-up let alone the starter. I don't blame him for wanting out. If anyone learned anthing from Winnipeg and Nashville its not to overwork a starter in the regular season. Wedgewood was clearly brought in to be the defacto 2.

Does he want to rush into a job? No, I don't think so. But i can understand his want to be on a team that doesn't have a starter already locked up for the next 8 years.

I don't think there's a problem with a workhorse like Saros playing the majority of the games and a guy with no starter potential picking up b2b and weak competition.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I don't think there's a problem with a workhorse like Saros playing the majority of the games and a guy with no starter potential picking up b2b and weak competition.
There isn't, but it's fairly clear (IMO) that Trotz is in win-now mode and doesn't really see Askarov as anything more than another guy down the depth chart. He doesn't see Yaro as the future or someone who will take over sooner rather than later. He didn't draft him and based on the 8 years he gave Saros isn't interested in ever giving him the reigns, and it became fairly obvious when all the rumors came out that Trotz was dangling Askarov as a sweetener to move up in the draft.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Banking on Saros to play 60+ games, then stay healthy
Well, Saros has played 60+ games the last 3 years straight, even when not staying healthy, and they did afterall just bank on him to the tune of that crazy 8-year contract. So yes, they are definitely banking on that. Which I do think makes sense for the next 3-5 years at least. Past that... well, who knows. Askarov would have been smart to bide his time for that, but it's his choice to try a different approach.

and expecting Wedgewood, who had the same role in Dallas and wasn't good, to maintain a high level is foolish.
I'm sure nobody is expecting Wedgewood to "maintain a high level"... if he's a bare minimum placeholder goalie for 20 games, that's all the team is asking. That's what Kevin Lankinen has been giving us, and Lankinen is utterly non-descript and a marginal NHL goaltender too. That's the extent of the expectations for Wedgewood. And if Askarov wanted to demonstrate the needed improvements in his game, the door would be wide open for him to replace Wedgewood.

It's clear there's no path for him to be the back-up let alone the starter. I don't blame him for wanting out. If anyone learned anthing from Winnipeg and Nashville its not to overwork a starter in the regular season. Wedgewood was clearly brought in to be the defacto 2.

We'll see if it works out for him. I think the path the Preds had set up for him would have been a lot smarter, and he would have emerged as a much better goaltender with a much brighter NHL future if he had been willing and able to devote himself to following that path. But he has chosen a different path now, so it no longer matters. If his new path involves sitting out a whole year, I'm pretty sure it won't work out too well for him. I could see Trotz taking that approach, as there aren't likely to be any truly enticing trade offers out there. Askarov might have just taken a path that takes him straight off a cliff as far as having an NHL future is concerned. That would certainly be ironic.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
If his new path involves sitting out a whole year, I'm pretty sure it won't work out too well for him. I could see Trotz taking that approach, as there aren't likely to be any truly enticing trade offers out there. Askarov might have just taken a path that takes him straight off a cliff as far as having an NHL future is concerned. That would certainly be ironic.
I would be shocked if Trotz sits out his best trade chip in a win-now period of the franchise. Even if he has a good season in Milwaukee I'm not sure if that would have affected his trade value unless there's already massive concerns about his development.

There's no right or wrong way obviously to approach this and none of us know the relationship between the player and the GM. I'm just judging things based on what we've seen ie the moves the team has made. They're obviously trying to go for it now and feel safe having Jussi tending the nets for the next near-decade and would prefer a veteran to play behind him. If I were Askarov I too would be questioning where my place is going forward.

Reactions: ChompChomp

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
There isn't, but it's fairly clear (IMO) that Trotz is in win-now mode and doesn't really see Askarov as anything more than another guy down the depth chart. He doesn't see Yaro as the future or someone who will take over sooner rather than later. He didn't draft him and based on the 8 years he gave Saros isn't interested in ever giving him the reigns, and it became fairly obvious when all the rumors came out that Trotz was dangling Askarov as a sweetener to move up in the draft.
I disagree, I think Trotz absolutely had a plan for him, whether he kept him or traded him. 8 years is plenty of time for Saros to transition into a 1B and then a back up, it sucks that Askarov and/or his agent isn't patient enough to get through year 1 of that plan,

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I disagree, I think Trotz absolutely had a plan for him, whether he kept him or traded him. 8 years is plenty of time for Saros to transition into a 1B and then a back up, it sucks that Askarov and/or his agent isn't patient enough to get through year 1 of that plan,
Who knows? I do know you don't make a guy a top 5 paid player at his position to transition them into second fiddle for at least a few years.

And if the rumors of Trotz dangling him to move up last year. are true... well

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I would be shocked if Trotz sits out his best trade chip in a win-now period of the franchise. Even if he has a good season in Milwaukee I'm not sure if that would have affected his trade value unless there's already massive concerns about his development.

There's no right or wrong way obviously to approach this and none of us know the relationship between the player and the GM. I'm just judging things based on what we've seen ie the moves the team has made. They're obviously trying to go for it now and feel safe having Jussi tending the nets for the next near-decade and would prefer a veteran to play behind him. If I were Askarov I too would be questioning where my place is going forward.
Trotz isn't sitting out his best trade chip, it's Askarov doing the sitting. And we already found out that he's not a very good trade chip. Teams aren't looking very aggressively to pick up question mark prospect goalies.

But that said, I do think we've already heard hints that there are indeed concerns about his development from the Preds. Not "massive". But the team is definitely not 100% sold on him, and for some good reasons. He has been making some progress with his technical flaws, I'm not sure they could have asked for too much more on that front, he was coming from a long way back, he just needed more time. But I'm sure they aren't likely too enthused by some aspects of his mental/character makeup either. For us fans, we're pretty entertained by his antics and his goofing around. But I can see the old school management types being rubbed the wrong way by some of that. So now pile this stunt on top of that... well, it's not going to make Trotz any bigger fan of his, that's for sure.

MVP Zacha

Feb 8, 2012
Kansas
In my opinion it has more to do with the fact that Askarov does not see a path to being a NHL starting goalie for at least the next 8 years with the Predators and would rather just go to an Organization that will give him that opportunity. None of us really knows if he would be fine going to an Organization that may give him a chance to play in the AHL for another season and seeing some time in the NHL due to injury or illness and then the following year have a shot at being either a No 1 NHL goalie or a backup to a veteran for a year or two. That 8 year contract to Saros may just have been a too long for him to see himself playing for the Predators any time soon. Tough situation.

Reactions: 67 others

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country

At the end of a day, a goalie is a player.

Its incredibly common for a player to want a shot by the time they are 22 if everyone is in agreement he is one of the best prospects at his position. Everyone drafted around him in his draft class has played 100-300 NHL games at this point and have fully paid off houses and Corvettes. His minors salary is $80000 a year and his old teammate Kuzmenko is probably going "lol, I make that much in 1 game"

He's been in the discussion for best goalie prospect for several years now.

"Hey Yaroslav! We think it would be in your best interest to stay in the minors so you can play way more games for less money! It will give you more playing time. Money corrupts young one. You don't want that money! oh you do want the money? Yeah i know we signed Wedgewood so the likelyhood of you getting any games is low, but we super really mean it that we will give you a chance to beat him for the backup spot. But since you are waiver exempt and he isn't, you will need to not let a single goal by you in camp or exhibition games ok?"

Reactions: Craig Ludwig

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Trotz isn't sitting out his best trade chip, it's Askarov doing the sitting. And we already found out that he's not a very good trade chip. Teams aren't looking very aggressively to pick up question mark prospect goalies.

But that said, I do think we've already heard hints that there are indeed concerns about his development from the Preds. Not "massive". But the team is definitely not 100% sold on him, and for some good reasons. He has been making some progress with his technical flaws, I'm not sure they could have asked for too much more on that front, he was coming from a long way back, he just needed more time. But I'm sure they aren't likely too enthused by some aspects of his mental/character makeup either. For us fans, we're pretty entertained by his antics and his goofing around. But I can see the old school management types being rubbed the wrong way by some of that. So now pile this stunt on top of that... well, it's not going to make Trotz any bigger fan of his, that's for sure.
It's admittedly a bad time to put himself out there. Teams have already made a majority of their moves and have their plans in place for the upcoming season for the most part. Trades of this magnitude at this juncture of the offseason is a lot more challenging than at any other time of the season.

"Hey Yaroslav! We think it would be in your best interest to stay in the minors so you can play way more games for less money! It will give you more playing time. Money corrupts young one. You don't want that money! oh you do want the money? Yeah i know we signed Wedgewood so the likelyhood of you getting any games is low, but we super really mean it that we will give you a chance to beat him for the backup spot. But since you are waiver exempt and he isn't, you will need to not let a single goal by you in camp or exhibition games ok?"
Agreed. This was a money decision, not a team one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad