Weekes: Askarov has informed the Predators he will not report to AHL team, asks for trade

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
It's perplexing that Nashville would go out and get a backup goaltender instead of just promoting this guy. Trotz can be a stubborn fool at times.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
We have had a couple competent backups during their tenure. Both Hutton and Lankinen played well for Nashville. Really never saw a need for Saros to play 60+ games
I think it probably also has something to do with the team trying to make/hold onto playoff spots the last few years? Along with a coach trying to keep his job? There hasn't really been much margin to rest Saros as the #1 guy? :dunno:

Anyway, I'm disappointed in Askarov's lack of confidence in himself. He seems like such a cocky guy on the ice. You'd think he'd believe he could beat out Wedgewood, then eventually steal starts and take the job from Saros. That's what you'd ideally want to see in a potential future #1 goalie anyway.

Lolonegoal

Jan 25, 2012
If Askarov going Canadiens he is a goalkeeper starter there away right?
Depends what the trade is. They are running Montebeault and Primeau this year, who both had career highs of 41 and 23 games played respectively, so it was already going to be a experimental, trial season in net.

If Primeau is sent the other way I imagine time would be split, with more time giving to whoever is performing better. If Primeau isn't dealt, they might do what they did last year, where they also had Allen and did about a 40-20-20 split. I think they were waiting on one the goalies to take off but none of them quiet gave them enough confidence.

If they got Askarov and he was playing well enough and he's seen as the future guy, then I can see him getting 50 if he has the endurance and consistency. Otherwise I think he'd still be in the 25 to 40 range, which is fairly standard for a rookie.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Honestly feels like Trotz thought he'd have a "great" trade in place when they chose to sign another backup. That trade didn't come to realization and now he's in a bit of a pickle.
Yes, they thought they'd get a top 10 pick, which was a bit derpy of them considering he doesn't have real NHL experience yet.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I don't think Primeau is a starter so Habs should definitely be interested but at what cost?

I'm good with our spare defenseman and picks, from late 1st on downward. We don't have high quality vets unless they need Savard with retention. Our young core is verboten. Fowler is highly regarded so i don't see us giving up the farm.

While the argument can be that he's worth more, he's also a flight risk and of course, hasn't proven that he's NHL starter material.

Definitely interesting but at a price...

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Can’t see this ending well for Nashville, unless they let it all play out. Don’t trade him this season. Let him go back to the KHL. If he lights it up, maybe they’ll get proper value..

His stats are fine in the AHL but it’s not like he makes a lot of game changing saves. He’s just very solid. Even in the playoffs, he shared the net.

He needs NHL games to really evaluate him overall. Playing 20-25 games as an NHL backup this year would give teams that chance, but unless the Preds can mend this, I just can’t see them getting proper value for him in a trade. Now with this request?? It’s gonna turn a lot of teams off as well. What if he comes to camp, and is clearly the #3 on the team who trades for him? Then what?

Think people get his frustration, but no NHL team is going to guarantee him an NHL job. So how do they justify sending Nashville much in return? He needs to play games. Whether that’s in the NHL, AHL or KHL.

The Preds should call his bluff. Tell him, if you don’t make the team, we’ll loan you back to the KHL this season. If not, don’t expect near proper value in a trade.
How is that a bluff to call? He's Russian. He's not going to be all broken up about playing in the KHL over the AHL making a shit ton more money in the process. Not like he's from Manitoba with no real viable options.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Honestly feels like Trotz thought he'd have a "great" trade in place when they chose to sign another backup. That trade didn't come to realization and now he's in a bit of a pickle.
Yes, they thought they'd get a top 10 pick, which was a bit derpy of them considering he doesn't have real NHL experience yet.
Probably fights for the backup spot.
Just to clarify, no team that makes a trade to acquire Askarov would have him "fight" for the backup spot. He's not going to not report to Milwaukee just to be chill playing for a different AHL team. For any team that would actually acquire him, he's an opening night roster lock and how much NHL action he sees will all go from there.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
It's perplexing that Nashville would go out and get a backup goaltender instead of just promoting this guy. Trotz can be a stubborn fool at times.
It's not perplexing at all if you were a coach/GM in the Preds organization watching this guy play, and could see that he wasn't ready for the NHL.

It's only perplexing if you go by HF posters who never watch him and think that just because he was a high draft pick that automatically translates into him having a divine birthright to make the show ahead of schedule.

Rafafouille

May 12, 2015
QC
He is also younger than everyone ahead of him except maybe Blomqvist and Cossa. Also played more games than all of them except for Villalta and Blomqvist (1 game difference). He is doin pretty solid for him age. He isnt a finished product yet

I'm not saying otherwise, but on the other hand he doesn't have an outstanding resume that should guarantee him an NHL spot. He should be dominating his team at least but he can't even distance himself from his backups. When you compare with Saros it's night and day. Came in at 20, went 29-8 with a .920 followed by 13-2 and a .934 and got his call up immediately at 21. Shesterkin was 24 and started in the AHL with a .934, Price won the calder cup MVP. The guys that don't absolutely dominate usually don't get to play until 25. Askarov shouldn't either until he proves he deserves to.

Reactions: herzausstein

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
This vaguely reminds me a bit of the Carey Price trade rumors circa 2009/2010, albeit Price had a bit more NHL time under his belt already and the trade situations were a bit different.
Carey Price was much more decorated at the age of 22 then Askarov is now, even with Price going threw his own struggles at the time. He had the junior resume, a Memorial Cup and MVP, a season where he at least received Calder votes, and 100+ games by age 22. Askarov has 3 NHL games played, and some decent seasons in the AHL. Completely different animal there.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
It's not perplexing at all if you were a coach/GM in the Preds organization watching this guy play, and could see that he wasn't ready for the NHL.

It's only perplexing if you go by HF posters who never watch him and think that just because he was a high draft pick that automatically translates into him having a divine birthright to make the show ahead of schedule.
I've watched him play maybe a dozen or so times in the AHL Central Division. Believe it or not, some of us do actually watch hockey. I imagine the teams said to be "interested" have seen him play too. So perhaps we shouldn't just take the decision one org as infallible and assume they never make mistakes or mishandle young players. Cool story though.

Reactions: Rob Brown

OrangePMD

Feb 2, 2021
Finland
Trotz was the HC when Radulov did his thing to Nashville. So not his first russian rodeo, and probably didn't shed a tear when Radulov eventually walked away for nothing. Also, one of the few GM's with job security to torch a "top prospect" for nothing, if he so chooses.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I think Askarov is justified, but I'll just say this:

I will never, ever bet against Trotz's and especially Mitch Korn's wisdom when it comes to goaltending. So I fully expect Nashville to come out of this fine.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I am prepared to either be underwhelmed or see Tomasino and/or Pärssinen attached to equal a decent return.
I feel like Trotz won't feel particularly threatened by Askarov's stunt, not to the extent he takes an "underwhelming" offer for him anyway. I think he'll let him sit. Well, unless he really just felt already that Askarov had no NHL future, in which case he might ditch him a la Afanaseyev. But as long as he does still see him as his top prospect, I don't think he'll undersell him? :dunno:

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Can’t see this ending well for Nashville, unless they let it all play out. Don’t trade him this season. Let him go back to the KHL. If he lights it up, maybe they’ll get proper value..

His stats are fine in the AHL but it’s not like he makes a lot of game changing saves. He’s just very solid. Even in the playoffs, he shared the net.

He needs NHL games to really evaluate him overall. Playing 20-25 games as an NHL backup this year would give teams that chance, but unless the Preds can mend this, I just can’t see them getting proper value for him in a trade. Now with this request?? It’s gonna turn a lot of teams off as well. What if he comes to camp, and is clearly the #3 on the team who trades for him? Then what?

Think people get his frustration, but no NHL team is going to guarantee him an NHL job. So how do they justify sending Nashville much in return? He needs to play games. Whether that’s in the NHL, AHL or KHL.

The Preds should call his bluff. Tell him, if you don’t make the team, we’ll loan you back to the KHL this season. If not, don’t expect near proper value in a trade.
Probably risk of an offer sheet starting next year, but from the moment Saros was extended this was the play. Let the dust settle, don't make a rash trade just to get something for him, let his value rehab a bit, and then reassess next steps.

Reactions: HockeyScotty
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad