Weekes: Askarov has informed the Predators he will not report to AHL team, asks for trade

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
that's the right thing to do. good boy. they signed the finn for another 20 years or so and want to keep askarov around just in case. that's idiotic.

Bond

May 10, 2012
If Askarov and his agent think any team will play him as a #1, they are off their rocker and I guess that’s why we are where we are.

I do understand being annoyed with your team if they committed two years to Scott Wedgewood and basically told you “you are still gonna be in the minors for the foreseeable future”.
It isn't even about guaranteeing that he will be playing as a #1 this season, it is about getting the quickest path to being a #1 and getting paid. He is going to get traded if he does well at the NHL level anyways, they are just forcing the issue early.

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007
It should be a pretty easy decision on trying to decide between Askarov and Wedgewood.
Since the Preds already had Askarov under contract when they decided to sign Wedgewood, I guess they thought the answer was Wedgewood.

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
Annunen is already NHL ready and looked decent as the backup at the end of last season. And they just drafted Nabokov. Not sure what need Askarov actually fills at this point, so I don't understand why the Avs would give away most of their remaining trade capital for him.
Absolute insanity.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
aaaaaand his value just plummeted

I don't expect it to happen (we've already managed to piss off one Russian-speaking goalie prospect with our mismanagement of his situation, after all), but man, I would love the Flyers to make a move here.
for Luchanko?

ponder719

The same New Era as before
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
for Luchenko?

I would prefer the Flyers' offer to revolve around current roster players and picks, rather than prospects. Nashville just loaded up bigtime for a run, so I was thinking someone more along the lines of Laughton or Frost (not sure which type of player would entice Trotz more, he strikes me as the type to value what Laughton brings), plus Ersson and some pick value for Askarov and whatever contracts come back our way to balance things out.

The main issue with offering this year's #13 for a goalie prospect is that goalies don't regularly return value on that level, especially not ones who are disgruntled enough to request a trade.

Reactions: amnesiac

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
I would prefer the Flyers' offer to revolve around current roster players and picks, rather than prospects. Nashville just loaded up bigtime for a run, so I was thinking someone more along the lines of Laughton or Frost (not sure which type of player would entice Trotz more, he strikes me as the type to value what Laughton brings), plus Ersson and some pick value for Askarov and whatever contracts come back our way to balance things out.

The main issue with offering this year's #13 for a goalie prospect is that goalies don't regularly return value on that level, especially not ones who are disgruntled enough to request a trade.
Preds have only $3M in cap space, would be tricky.... maybe Foerster making under $1M. But I dont see them wanting Laughton with only 2 years left.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Thing is Wedgewood's contract is cheap to the point he could be sent down to Milwaukee if Askarov out performs him in camp. Nashville would actually gain a slight bit of cap since you can bury a little over 1 million in cap vs Askarov's cap of 925K. I guess he just doesnt want the competition and wants the backup role handed to him. Either way, there isnt much of a path to a starters role in Nashville anyways since we have saros signed for 9 more seasons... pull the ripcord now i guess.

This isn't really a matter of competition.

Nashville didn't just give Juuse a $62M contract ending in 2033 with the expectation that he could or would be usurped for the net lol. Askarov has no chance of being a starter there.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Time for the Oilers to unite him with his newly-acquired countryman, Podkolzin. :sarcasm:
Oilers, Sharks, Canadiens should all have varying levels of interest.

Oilers and Canadiens could probably put him on the roster immediately.

Sharks have 2 vets signed but only on 1 year contracts and Blackwood hasnt been good so Askarov could probably easily fit in there as well.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
This is one of those situations where I see an obvious problem meeting an obvious fit.

Nashville is weak on centres and needs young forwards to take them to the next phase of their franchise.

Carolina has a disgruntled young winger who wants to be a centre.

Carolina wants stability in net and isn't sure that Kotchetkov is that guy.

Nashville has a disgruntled young goalie who could develop into the stable, stead goaltender of the future.

Seems a Necas for Askarov swap makes sense for both teams.

• Haha
Reactions: DaveG

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
This is one of those situations where I see an obvious problem meeting an obvious fit.

Nashville is weak on centres and needs young forwards to take them to the next phase of their franchise.

Carolina has a disgruntled young winger who wants to be a centre.

Carolina wants stability in net and isn't sure that Kotchetkov is that guy.

Nashville has a disgruntled young goalie who could develop into the stable, stead goaltender of the future.

Seems a Necas for Askarov swap makes sense for both teams.
Nashville dont have the cap for that and honestly dont see a route to making the cap work either

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
Can’t really blame anyone in this situation really. Can’t blame Trotz for doing a quick re-tool to try to win now. He’s sacrificing the future of the team for the most part but he’s also put together a pretty decent team that should at least be a playoff mainstay over the next few years.

Can’t blame Askarov either. No reason for him to wait it out when he should be entering his prime soon.

It’s just the situation they’re in and at the end of the day Askarov is just an asset.

Reactions: Sendhelplease

JPT

Jul 4, 2024
This isn't really a matter of competition.

Nashville didn't just give Juuse a $62M contract ending in 2033 with the expectation that he could or would be usurped for the net lol. Askarov has no chance of being a starter there.
Well, he definitely doesn't now. Saros isn't contractually obligated to be a starter, though, so it's just an assumption that another goalie won't win the starting role before 2033. The contract is bad because of the possibility of the team being tied to an expensive back up, not because it doesn't allow for the starter job to go to someone else.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Well, he definitely doesn't now. Saros isn't contractually obligated to be a starter, though, so it's just an assumption that another goalie won't win the starting role before 2033. The contract is bad because of the possibility of the team being tied to an expensive back up, not because it doesn't allow for the starter job to go to someone else.

Contractually obligated? No. But it would take awhile to force Nashville's hand to make him a near $8M backup, and he'd have to play like shit, which hasn't happened yet.

ponder719

The same New Era as before
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Preds have only $3M in cap space, would be tricky.... maybe Foerster making under $1M. But I dont see them wanting Laughton with only 2 years left.

Yeah, the cap is the tricky part, especially with the Flyers already over the cap thanks to Johansen and Ellis (thanks for that, Nashville!) We can get under that number once they go on LTIR, but we still have to make it work until then. I don't see a scenario where we move Foerster.

Reactions: amnesiac
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad