Weekes: Askarov has informed the Predators he will not report to AHL team, asks for trade

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
This doesn’t have to be complicated. Waive Wedgewood and have him be the #3. Play Saros 50 games to keep him fresh, play Askarov 25 games to slowly introduce him to an NHL role.

Problem solved.

OK...but Nashville signed Wedgewood to be the backup just over 2 months ago.

Otherwise, why would you sign a player with the intention of burying his contract and incurring a dead cap hit?

Would Nashville really let a player's public demands dictate how they handle the roster?

Reactions: DaveG

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
Expecting the Preds to trade him in the East is my guess. They don't want to trade him in the division, that could hurt badly.

Reactions: fahad203

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Sure that might work but if Askarov truly believes he is a number one then forcing a trade to a team that will pay him like one is a better move. He will be getting traded either way at some point unless Saros LTIRetires

1st+ is the base and then balance will be how many teams are in on him

If Askarov and his agent think any team will play him as a #1, they are off their rocker and I guess that’s why we are where we are.

I do understand being annoyed with your team if they committed two years to Scott Wedgewood and basically told you “you are still gonna be in the minors for the foreseeable future”.

OK...but Nashville signed Wedgewood to be the backup just over 2 months ago.

Otherwise, why would you sign a player with the intention of burying his contract and incurring a dead cap hit?

Would Nashville really let a player's public demands dictate how they handle the roster?

Sure, I’m not saying that’s not Nashville’s intent. It’s probably why Askarov is peeved. But in a vacuum, I’m waiving Wedgewood before I deal Askarov for a cut rate price. Now maybe Nashville gets a fantastic offer for Askarov and it’s all moot. Should be interesting.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Jan 24, 2007
This doesn’t have to be complicated. Waive Wedgewood and have him be the #3. Play Saros 50 games to keep him fresh, play Askarov 25 games to slowly introduce him to an NHL role. Wedgewood is 32 years old and had a sub 0.900 SV% on a good team last year. Maybe somebody will claim him and his two year deal…oh well.

Problem solved.
Yeah assuming Askarov is willing to report to training camp this seems the most likely outcome to me.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Wonder if they'll waive Wedgewood even though they just signed him.
Wedgewood might slip through waivers. He's a good backup, but is he an upgrade on anyone else's backup right now?

To me, this smells like posturing from a player and agent who want to make sure that the only reason he isn't being sent down, is his age and contract status.

I wonder if he would change his mind if he comes in to camp and stinks it up, ha ha.

It's almost like, and I know this may sound crazy, the coaches and staff that are with him every day in practice and training and when he was playing in the AHL last year have seen that he's not quite ready to be a full time NHLer yet.
It's also important to note that NHL teams don't exactly want their best prospects riding the pine on the big club when they could be playing in the AHL. Ice-time is important for player development, even if it is in the developmental league.

Reactions: DaveG and jumb0

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
It's almost like, and I know this may sound crazy, the coaches and staff that are with him every day in practice and training and when he was playing in the AHL last year have seen that he's not quite ready to be a full time NHLer yet.
And additionally, even if he might be able to "get by" as an NHL backup playing 20-25 games, they also know that might not be the best thing for his ultimate development. Playing 60 games in the AHL and focusing on improving his flaws might actually help him attain his upside.

Ask Ads fans if he was better than Troy Grosenick last season. If he was, it wasn't by much. Now consider how good Troy Grosenick really is in the big picture in terms of being an NHL goaltender. Askarov has serious work to do. This stunt says he doesn't want to put in the work, and I'd be very leery about trading for a guy with that mentality.

Reactions: hido and jumb0

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
And additionally, even if he might be able to "get by" as an NHL backup playing 20-25 games, they also know that might not be the best thing for his ultimate development. Playing 60 games in the AHL and focusing on improving his flaws might actually help him attain his upside.

Ask Ads fans if he was better than Troy Grosenick last season. If he was, it wasn't by much. Now consider how good Troy Grosenick really is in the big picture in terms of being an NHL goaltender. Askarov has serious work to do. This stunt says he doesn't want to put in the work, and I'd be very leery about trading for a guy with that mentality.
You are comparing a 22 yo, high 1st round prospect with all sorts of potential to grow to a 34 yo ?

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Justus Annunen, Mikhail Gulyayev and 2025 1st for Askarov.

Annunen is already NHL ready and looked decent as the backup at the end of last season. And they just drafted Nabokov. Not sure what need Askarov actually fills at this point, so I don't understand why the Avs would give away most of their remaining trade capital for him.

Reactions: luiginb
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad