Weekes: Askarov has informed the Predators he will not report to AHL team, asks for trade

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

knight23

Aug 13, 2024
Yaroslav Askarov has long been considered one of the world's greatest goalkeeping talents.

Now, the Russian has requested a trade from the Nashville Predators.

The Nashville Predators drafted Jaroslav Askarov as the number eleven player in 2020. The Russian was also hyped as the greatest goalkeeping talent in a very long time.

In the last two seasons, there have only been two NHL games from the start, while there have been over 100 games in the AHL.

With Juuse Saros as the given number one in Nashville, there is also not much hope of being able to compete for the first spade in the near future.

Now the cage keeper has also requested a trade from the Predators.

Big news for international fans. :clap::clap:

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007
Eh, normally I'd says yes, but Askarov is a high end goalie. He's likely equal, if not better than Primeau at this stage.

Dobes could use another year mostly, if not entirely in the A.

Fowler could use this season and likely next in the NCAA.

Volokhin isn't coming over for another 2 years.

Miller is probably ECHL next year, then AHL.

Habs bring I'm Askarov, ship Primeau out and let Monty be the number 1, see how Askarov does and next year could be the deciding year between Askarov, or Monty, if it isn't decides by the end of this season. Thar gives a spot to Dobes as backup if he continues progressing as he is.

I imagine the Habs have some interest, but not desperately looking at him.
Sure, I could see the Habs having some interest in Askarov. I'd be all over it if they could get him for Primeau and a small addition, but I'm seeing Nashville expects a big return, which would not interest me.Let someone else give the Preds a nice return on someone they think so highly of that they gave Juuse Saros an eight-year, $7.74 million AAV deal and also signed Scott Wedgewood for two-years, $1.5 million AAV.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I think the habs could stay away from a young long term bet if they feep confidently on that Fowler kid

Had great stats in NCAA, very young and likely 2ish years away

Not sure if they would want to get a guy like Askarov and find Fowler is as good as believed resulting in him being sold for scraps or wanting out due to being blocked like Askarov did with Saros

I think habs should target Ulmark on a 3 year deal this summer and that would let Fowler if hes legit to be 1A/1B by Y3 of that deal
Yeah I don't think the Habs are looking. Between signing Monty mid term and Primeau/Fowler they probably feel comfortable in nets

Reactions: CTHabsfan

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Jan 24, 2007
Trotz wants a good NHL player OR a non-goalie prospect same age. No, I don’t have a source. Been talked about on Preds boards for a while.
There aren't non-goalie prospects at the age of 22 that are close in value. The best non-goalie prospects have made the NHL by then.

A lot of teams would want him, both contenders looking for cheap goalies and up and coming teams looking for promising potential starters. There is likely a decent offer out there involving futures that he could then cash in at the deadline if Nashville is contending or at a future draft if they decide to keep them.

Reactions: DaveG

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017
I dont understand why people are saying he doesnt want the competition ?

Preds tried to trade him at the 2023 and 2024 draft both times. His agent discussed with management to find possible options. They clearly dont want him and dont see him as a Preds on the long-term. So you cant blame the kid from starting fresh in a new organization as soon as possible.

Willing to include him and trying to trade him are two vastly different things

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Blackhawks offer up Toronto's 2025 1st and goalie prospect Adam Gajan for Askarov
Might consider this but the Hawks are essentially in the same position as Nashville with Mrazek/Brossoilt blocking Askarov for the next two seasons. With Mrazek's injury history, CHI's probably more likely to need Askarov in the NHL, but I doubt that he'd see this as a positive move.

Reactions: BHFAN92

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
This doesn’t have to be complicated. Waive Wedgewood and have him be the #3. Play Saros 50 games to keep him fresh, play Askarov 25 games to slowly introduce him to an NHL role. Wedgewood is 32 years old and had a sub 0.900 SV% on a good team last year. Maybe somebody will claim him and his two year deal…oh well.

Problem solved.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
I would've done the same.

The kings and blackhawks needs to be all over this. Maybe the canes?

HockeyScotty

Sep 11, 2021
Tampa Bay could be a great fit, not just because Preds-Lightning have each other on speed dial for trades. The timing of Vasilevskiy's remaining contract and their huge drop off in talent beyond him in their pipeline is pretty massive.

I agree with previous poster about San Jose; for a rebuilding team they still lack elite goaltending prospects; however their NHL roster right now isn't necessarily open for competition with the contracts to Blackwood ($2.35m) and Vanecek ($3.4m) and no retention spots remaining that would limit their pool of teams until the trade-deadline. If Askarov is really looking at the long-term vs short-term then this could be a great fit.

The other possible great trade partner/fit would be Seattle. They have enough resources to send a 2C and a draft pick or a goalie prospect (Kokko, Saarinen) back to the Preds. Daccord only has 1 year remaining so they would need a fairly cheap bridge deal in place to run Grubauer-Askarov tandem until Grubs deal runs out after 2 more years. I wonder if they would do a Shane Wright deal straight up? He is blocked on the NHL squad pretty much exactly like Askarov is; but would have a real chance in Nashville and he is in the same "tier" of prospect as him. With Catton, Morrison, and Winterton the Kraken still have a good center pipeline for their long term needs.

Reactions: Leafshater67

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth
Askarov is not remotely "ready" for the NHL. He hasn't been able to hold the starter's job in 2 consecutive AHL playoff runs. He has been on a strong AHL team which has inflated his numbers, but he still has huge holes in his game.
don’t listen to this guy. He constantly negs our prospects .

Askarov is probably ready for 20-30 nhl games per season

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Besides a 1st which I don't think Nashville will get for Askarov unless bidding war or really desperate GM what would Preds be looking for?
He was the #11 pick, he will get back a lot more than only a first, which will likely be far worse than 11th overall

Reactions: zeeto

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Waive Wedgewood, sheesh. Preds will regret trading Askarov and not letting him ride the NHL pine for 60 games if he goes on to become a top-tier player in this league. They can afford to let him back-up Saros and learn the job on the fly for 25-32 games. Better than losing one of the best goalie prospects in ages.

Bond

May 10, 2012
This doesn’t have to be complicated. Waive Wedgewood and have him be the #3. Play Saros 50 games to keep him fresh, play Askarov 25 games to slowly introduce him to an NHL role. Wedgewood is 32 years old and had a sub 0.900 SV% on a good team last year. Maybe somebody will claim him and his two year deal…oh well.

Problem solved.
Sure that might work but if Askarov truly believes he is a number one then forcing a trade to a team that will pay him like one is a better move. He will be getting traded either way at some point unless Saros LTIRetires

He was the #11 pick, he will get back a lot more than only a first, which will likely be far worse than 11th overall
1st+ is the base and then balance will be how many teams are in on him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad