Weekes: Askarov has informed the Predators he will not report to AHL team, asks for trade

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
My prediction is he goes to San Jose for someone like Bystedt or Edstrom. This is probably Nashville’s best shot at landing a young C prospect with top 6 upside, so I think that’s what they will look for.
This makes a lot of sense to me.

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Doesn’t want the competition to prove himself? So what Saros is signed long term, he can be traded if you unseat him. Didn’t Vasi unseat Bishop in Tampa? Luongo shoved Kidd out the door, granted both examples weren’t signed long term, but I’m not a fan of this ask.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
My prediction is he goes to San Jose for someone like Bystedt or Edstrom. This is probably Nashville’s best shot at landing a young C prospect with top 6 upside, so I think that’s what they will look for.
Id be fine with this from Nashville’s end. Either would fit in good with Svechkov and Surin in the prospect pool

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Jan 24, 2007
Wow didn't realize the Predators had signed Wedgewood for 2 years also to be in front of Askarov. This is also the last year of his ELC. I don't blame him at all here.

So many teams would want Askarov starting this year and give him 30+ games. Pretty much every contender that has goaltending questions (e.g. Colorado). Getting NHL games this year has multi-million dollar ramifications for his career earnings.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Doesn’t want the competition to prove himself? So what Saros is signed long term, he can be traded if you unseat him. Didn’t Vasi unseat Bishop in Tampa? Luongo shoved Kidd out the door, granted both examples weren’t signed long term, but I’m not a fan of this ask.
No route to starts=no route to money.

Smart move if he wants to make actual starter money at any point in the next 7 years.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
22 years old is still young for a goalie though , well within his rights of course , hope it doesn't backfire on him and I hope he's ready to play in the bigs if he's asking for a trade , godspeed young man
Although I'm not a big fan of the habs rebuild aside from this year's draft, getting a probable #1 goalie four years into his development would be a huge coup for you guys.

Last edited:

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
Well if the Preds could get this kind of return for Askarov, I'd be all over that. Annunen is definitely a far better goalie at this point than Askarov, and may end up better than Askarov will EVER be. So if that kind of trade was out there, the Preds should jump all over that.

But I don't think that level of offer will be out there. Every NHL team has their goaltending situation already set up now, including at the AHL level. Teams might offer a 2nd round pick for Askarov. He isn't ready for the NHL and may never be. If the best the Preds could get for him in a trade is a 2nd round pick, then they should just let him sit and stew and make an example out of him. The guy simply isn't as good as he seems to think he is. If he was that good, all he would need to do is come to training camp and beat out Scott Wedgewood for a job. That shouldn't be seen as some gargantuan feat. If he's not willing to put himself to even that small test, then let him sit. Let him sit for 5 more years if that's what it takes. He isn't good enough to be making these kinds of demands.

Disagree massively.

Reactions: DaveG and zeeto

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Thing is Wedgewood's contract is cheap to the point he could be sent down to Milwaukee if Askarov out performs him in camp. Nashville would actually gain a slight bit of cap since you can bury a little over 1 million in cap vs Askarov's cap of 925K. I guess he just doesnt want the competition and wants the backup role handed to him. Either way, there isnt much of a path to a starters role in Nashville anyways since we have saros signed for 9 more seasons... pull the ripcord now i guess.
Because Askarov is smart enough to know that "just beat out the veteran in training camp" is as big a myth for a young kid as the American Dream. Waiver exemption rules all.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
SJ should offer any one of Edstrom/Bystedt/VGK unprotected 1st for this. Could consider Musty, which would hurt, but that could be a more likely price for all I know.

Obviously would add depending on which is the main asset in the trade.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Jan 24, 2007
This is why the Devils shouldn't have rushed for their goalie.
I have to believe they talked with Nashville re: both Askarov and Saros before trading for Markstrom, and most likely the prices were too high.

There is no way NJ could get to August before the year started with just Jake Allen and Nico Daws as their two NHL goalies, just waiting for some goalie to magically become available.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
What I wonder is Nashville has a good history of developing goalies. What do they know if they won't even give him a shot in the NHL? Is he simply not ready? Immature? Toxic and hoping he grows up a bit?

Or is this really a big misstep as it appears

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Oh yeah

I’d give up Calgary’s/floridas first from the monahan trade plus for him
I think the habs could stay away from a young long term bet if they feep confidently on that Fowler kid

Had great stats in NCAA, very young and likely 2ish years away

Not sure if they would want to get a guy like Askarov and find Fowler is as good as believed resulting in him being sold for scraps or wanting out due to being blocked like Askarov did with Saros

I think habs should target Ulmark on a 3 year deal this summer and that would let Fowler if hes legit to be 1A/1B by Y3 of that deal

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Because Askarov is smart enough to know that "just beat out the veteran in training camp" is as big a myth for a young kid as the American Dream. Waiver exemption rules all.
You are probably right. Especially after seeing how Tomasino and Pärssinen were sent down last season. He has a signing bonus this season which would help soften the blow of having AHL pay vs NHL pay but if he isnt given the opportunity to get NHL time his next payday is gonna be significantly lower than this season. That is alot to consider when you are living that far away from home.

Reactions: kevrondl

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Definitely understand it from his perspective. I understand Nashville trying to compete and Saros is a really good goalie.. but if you aren't going to give a guy a chance to backup.. this is going to happen. He can play in the league next year in the right spot. Thats a big $$$ difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad