Weekes: Askarov has informed the Predators he will not report to AHL team, asks for trade

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I don’t blame him, he’s clearly NHL ready and the Predators seem happy to bury him in the AHL for some reason. I can understand re-signing Saros but bringing in Wedgewood was a slap in Askarov’s face.

The Predators are clearly not treating Askarov fairly so really tough to blame him here.
Askarov is not remotely "ready" for the NHL. He hasn't been able to hold the starter's job in 2 consecutive AHL playoff runs. He has been on a strong AHL team which has inflated his numbers, but he still has huge holes in his game.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I don't expect it to happen (we've already managed to piss off one Russian-speaking goalie prospect with our mismanagement of his situation, after all), but man, I would love the Flyers to make a move here.
Don't the flyers have 2 , of 3 goalies already that are penciled in for the NHL ?

I'd like the Habs to go after him, but they have 2 goalies written in pen for the NHL and I can't see a team being all that eager for Primeau.

Plus I don't really like full right goalies, so I'd be fine with the Habs missing out on him.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Justus Annunen, Mikhail Gulyayev and 2025 1st for Askarov.
Well if the Preds could get this kind of return for Askarov, I'd be all over that. Annunen is definitely a far better goalie at this point than Askarov, and may end up better than Askarov will EVER be. So if that kind of trade was out there, the Preds should jump all over that.

But I don't think that level of offer will be out there. Every NHL team has their goaltending situation already set up now, including at the AHL level. Teams might offer a 2nd round pick for Askarov. He isn't ready for the NHL and may never be. If the best the Preds could get for him in a trade is a 2nd round pick, then they should just let him sit and stew and make an example out of him. The guy simply isn't as good as he seems to think he is. If he was that good, all he would need to do is come to training camp and beat out Scott Wedgewood for a job. That shouldn't be seen as some gargantuan feat. If he's not willing to put himself to even that small test, then let him sit. Let him sit for 5 more years if that's what it takes. He isn't good enough to be making these kinds of demands.

ponder719

The same New Era as before
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Don't the flyers have 2 , of 3 goalies already that are penciled in for the NHL ?

I'd like the Habs to go after him, but they have 2 goalies written in pen for the NHL and I can't see a team being all that eager for Primeau.

Plus I don't really like full right goalies, so I'd be fine with the Habs missing out on him.

Our expectation is that we're going into the season with Ersson and Fedotov as our G pair. Ersson's a proven backup who was overwhelmed by being pushed into the "only goalie Torts could trust" role when Criminal Defendant #1 had to return to Canada, and Fedotov played like 3 games and looked shaky, unsurprising given everything he went through,

Kolosov, well, we've apparently upset him badly enough that he's headed back to Minsk, and our remaining options in LHV are Cal Petersen, Keith Petruzzelli, and Parker Gahagen. Anyone else is too young to be considered at this point, though we have long term hopes for Bjarnason and Zavagrin.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Thing is Wedgewood's contract is cheap to the point he could be sent down to Milwaukee if Askarov out performs him in camp. Nashville would actually gain a slight bit of cap since you can bury a little over 1 million in cap vs Askarov's cap of 925K. I guess he just doesnt want the competition and wants the backup role handed to him. Either way, there isnt much of a path to a starters role in Nashville anyways since we have saros signed for 9 more seasons... pull the ripcord now i guess.

Wedgewood is signed for $1.5M cap hit per season. How does Nashville gain cap space if you can only bury ~$1M?

Seems like it's a $500K or so (RIP CapFriendly otherwise I'd have the exact rate) cap hit for Nashville to bury him in the minors.

Reactions: DaveG

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Wedgewood is signed for $1.5M cap hit per season. How does Nashville gain cap space if you can only bury ~$1M?

Seems like it's a $500K or so (RIP CapFriendly otherwise I'd have the exact rate) cap hit for Nashville to bury him in the minors.
- 1 million in buried cap + 925K in Askarov. Sure we still have the overage of 500K but the net caphit becomes ~1.425 Million instead of 1.5 million so a net savings of 75K or so. Pretty minor but it wouldnt hurt the team to bury one for the other.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
What a stupid move.

Ask and push for a trade? Fine. But choose not to report to your team as a 22 year old? That's just bad form, and a really crappy move.

I think we will see more of this. Players careers are not long so it's up to the players to maximize it.

Teams care about winning not what's best for the players pay day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad