Weekes: Askarov has informed the Predators he will not report to AHL team, asks for trade

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
They're "rumoured" to be the front runner but I just don't really see it, they're super high on Fowler
Where was that rumoured?

Edit, saying that I think we're in a weirdly similar position as the preds, we'd probably want to trade Primeau if we're taking back Askarov

RickyLafleur

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Was 11th overall pick 5 years ago. Who's struggled in the WJC and .882% last year in AHL. He's not worth no more
Do you realize that .882 was in a 5-game sample size? I guess we can disregard the 44 games he played in the regular season with a .911 or lifetime .915 including playoffs, tournaments.

Last edited:

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
This isn't really a matter of competition.

Nashville didn't just give Juuse a $62M contract ending in 2033 with the expectation that he could or would be usurped for the net lol. Askarov has no chance of being a starter there.
Nashville also rides their starters like rented mules. Last 3 seasons, saros has started 67, 64, and 63 games. Prior starter Rinne would routinely start 55 to 65 games. Even as a backup here, he is going to have a hard time establishing himself getting 17 to 25 starts a season

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Nashville also rides their starters like rented mules. Last 3 seasons, saros has started 67, 64, and 63 games. Prior starter Rinne would routinely start 55 to 65 games. Even as a backup here, he is going to have a hard time establishing himself getting 17 to 25 starts a season

Do they ride them hard because it's all they've got, though?

Like, with two legit starters would they split time kinda like Boston did with Ullmark/Swayman?

Columbus should be on this

Realistically, there are several teams that should be in on this lol.

Like... Columbus, Chicago, Ottawa, Montreal maybe, San Jose, New Jersey, Utah. Pretty much any team that is building or entering their window and doesn't have a high end goalie or goalie prospect.

Deadly Dogma

All I have is substantially vapid opinions
Sponsor
May 3, 2016
If I were a GM it would be a tough call to go after him. On 1 side he looks like he will be a real deal NHL goaltender, on the other not reporting to camp mixed with the Russian factor raises a cpl red flags.
Plus he is only 22 and throwing him right into a starter roll is seriously risky.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
It's almost like, and I know this may sound crazy, the coaches and staff that are with him every day in practice and training and when he was playing in the AHL last year have seen that he's not quite ready to be a full time NHLer yet.
Considering I am not a NSH fan, I wouldn't have known this. I keep hearing how he is a top goalie prospect, didn't know he still struggled so much.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
They’ve been traded before.
He won't be traded, just like John Tavares hasn't been traded, despite a lot of stupid people here deciding that contract stipulations don't matter, and dozens of other players with full control over their contracts haven't been traded. Better to assume that the contract conditions signed actually mean something than ignore them.

• Haha
Reactions: Laus723

Lolonegoal

Jan 25, 2012
Was 11th overall pick 5 years ago. Who's struggled in the WJC and .882% last year in AHL. He's not worth no more
He had a .911 in the AHL last year, as well as the year before. You're looking at his playoff stats, which was a 5 game sample size. Might as well talk about how he had a .943 in the 2 NHL games he played last year while you're at it.

As for WJC, the last time he played was almost 4 years ago now and he had .914% and 2.50 GAA.
He had a rough one the year prior, but he was also 17 playing in the under 20 world tournament and was the back-up to a goalie 2 years older than him and Russia still won silver.

Either way all the things you're referencing are extremely small sample, 5 games in the AHL playoffs, 7 games in the WJC which was also 3 and 4 years ago, while he's had two consistent 44 and 48 games regular season in the AHL.

Last edited:

Zarzh

Jun 30, 2015
I'm always shocked to see how few games he's played since being drafted. He'll probably get a Bernier like package.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Do you realize that .882 was in a 5-game sample size? I guess we can disregard the 44 games he played in the regular season with a .911 or lifetime .915 including playoffs, tournaments.
Prepare to be disappointed

Rafafouille

May 12, 2015
QC
A .911 save% at this point is clearly above average, which is what he has done in both of his AHL seasons.

In the NHL yes, in the AHL no. His .911 was 15th in the AHL(30+ gp) so average. Scoring didn't explode in the AHL like it did in the NHL. You had 7 guys go point per game(50+ gp) last year vs 33 guys in the NHL.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Do they ride them hard because it's all they've got, though?

Like, with two legit starters would they split time kinda like Boston did with Ullmark/Swayman?

Realistically, there are several teams that should be in on this lol.

Like... Columbus, Chicago, Ottawa, Montreal maybe, San Jose, New Jersey, Utah. Pretty much any team that is building or entering their window and doesn't have a high end goalie or goalie prospect.
We have had a couple competent backups during their tenure. Both Hutton and Lankinen played well for Nashville. Really never saw a need for Saros to play 60+ games

Reactions: Bringer of Jollity

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
This vaguely reminds me a bit of the Carey Price trade rumors circa 2009/2010, albeit Price had a bit more NHL time under his belt already and the trade situations were a bit different.

knight23

Aug 13, 2024
Oilers and Canadiens could probably put him on the roster immediately.

Sharks have 2 vets signed but only on 1 year contracts and Blackwood hasnt been good so Askarov could probably easily fit in there as well.

If Askarov going Canadiens he is a goalkeeper starter there away right?

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
In the NHL yes, in the AHL no. His .911 was 15th in the AHL(30+ gp) so average. Scoring didn't explode in the AHL like it did in the NHL. You had 7 guys go point per game(50+ gp) last year vs 33 guys in the NHL.
He is also younger than everyone ahead of him except maybe Blomqvist and Cossa. Also played more games than all of them except for Villalta and Blomqvist (1 game difference). He is doin pretty solid for him age. He isnt a finished product yet

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Can’t see this ending well for Nashville, unless they let it all play out. Don’t trade him this season. Let him go back to the KHL. If he lights it up, maybe they’ll get proper value..

His stats are fine in the AHL but it’s not like he makes a lot of game changing saves. He’s just very solid. Even in the playoffs, he shared the net.

He needs NHL games to really evaluate him overall. Playing 20-25 games as an NHL backup this year would give teams that chance, but unless the Preds can mend this, I just can’t see them getting proper value for him in a trade. Now with this request?? It’s gonna turn a lot of teams off as well. What if he comes to camp, and is clearly the #3 on the team who trades for him? Then what?

Think people get his frustration, but no NHL team is going to guarantee him an NHL job. So how do they justify sending Nashville much in return? He needs to play games. Whether that’s in the NHL, AHL or KHL.

The Preds should call his bluff. Tell him, if you don’t make the team, we’ll loan you back to the KHL this season. If not, don’t expect near proper value in a trade.

Reactions: Bringer of Jollity

Rafafouille

May 12, 2015
QC
Tough spot for the Preds. He definitely hasn't earned the backup spot, been average to below average in his AHL career(Significantly lower scoring in the A, he was 15th in save percentage for goalies with 30+ gp) but he's a high profile prospect that wants an NHL spot to cash in. You'd want him to dominate in the AHL before letting him come but it seems like the Preds will have no choice but to trade him.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Honestly feels like Trotz thought he'd have a "great" trade in place when they chose to sign another backup. That trade didn't come to realization and now he's in a bit of a pickle.

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
He won't be traded, just like John Tavares hasn't been traded, despite a lot of stupid people here deciding that contract stipulations don't matter, and dozens of other players with full control over their contracts haven't been traded. Better to assume that the contract conditions signed actually mean something than ignore them.
Lmao, ok. “Stupid people?” They striking a nerve?? Tavares was a bad example seeing as how Friedman just said on 32 Thoughts that he expects Tavares to re-sign. Some players can’t/wont be traded, but there are others who fans would like to see moved while management doesn’t feel the same. Fans can be stupid, sometimes they’re more wise than management, but they don’t run the teams.

He may not be traded during his contract, but they’ve been traded before. To say anything is definitive in sports is, well, stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad