GWT: EPL - Matchweek 1

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I mean, I really really hate Man City, but seeing Todd walk off after that second goal was pure ecstasy lol.

Chelsea is a club that just doesn't have a vision. Haven't had one since Mourinho IMHO. A lot of it has to deal with their transfer policy. You buy 40 goalkeepers this window and not one of them is good enough to replace Sanchez lol. Not that Sanchez was even the reason why they lost today but epitomises their struggles overall as a club.

E: Also mega lol at Curcella trying to defend Haaland on that first goal. It looked like mini-me trying to defend Jaws.

Reactions: luiginb

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I mean, I really really hate Man City, but seeing Todd walk off after that second goal was pure ecstasy lol.

Chelsea is a club that just doesn't have a vision. Haven't had one since Mourinho IMHO. A lot of it has to deal with their transfer policy. You buy 40 goalkeepers this window and not one of them is good enough to replace Sanchez lol. Not that Sanchez was even the reason why they lost today but epitomises their struggles overall as a club.

E: Also mega lol at Curcella trying to defend Haaland on that first goal. It looked like mini-me trying to defend Jaws.
They're a commodities firm, not a football club.

Reactions: S E P H and luiginb

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Sanchez wasn't good today, but also he wasn't obviously the worst keeper on the pitch. City better hope that Ederson's play today was just rust and not him having a down season because he looked awful.
I mean Ederson has always been pretty bad doing actual keeper stuff. The question really becomes when does his on the ball qualities stop off setting how below average a keeper he is.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I mean Ederson has always been pretty bad doing actual keeper stuff. The question really becomes when does his on the ball qualities stop off setting how below average a keeper he is.
He's never been a great shot stopper but he was actively awful today. Spilled what should have been a goal if Jackson had the footballing IQ of a third grader and was completely lost on a couple crosses.

But that might be mildly excusable if he was decent at distribution, but he was awful at that today too. Couple bad giveaways and otherwise mediocre play.

Reactions: Peen and luiginb

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
gwSO43.gif

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
Enzo Fernandez is not a Premier League player, probably a great La Liga player but doesn't work in this league.

Also why is Robert Sanchez starting I thought it was established last year that Petrovic was better.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Enzo Fernandez is not a Premier League player, probably a great La Liga player but doesn't work in this league.

Also why is Robert Sanchez starting I thought it was established last year that Petrovic was better.
They want a ball playing goalie and someone who’s strong sweeping.

Petrovic has zero authority and isn’t strong playing the ball. And wasn’t good at the end of the season.

But it’s funny because for all his warts, he was still better than Sanchez.

They can say it’s due to wanting more stylistic fits and all, but I think Sanchez is starting because there wasn’t a single call asking to buy Sanchez when it seemed like things were a bit more up in the air and Petrovic could be moved on easier

Reactions: gary69 and Blender

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL

Chelsea went all "Real Madrid" and tried to buy all the shiny new toys. There's no point in them going after Caicedo when they bought Enzo. There is no point whatsoever in buying Lavia after buying Caicedo. There was no reason for them to buy Disasi when they had Silva. There was no point of buying Mudryk when they have Sterling making the same sort of impact.

Whoever is their director of football is complete rubbish. It honestly feels like they bought some of these players just so rivals don't get them.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
A genuine attacking mid with Caicedo and Lavia would be a great trio. Lavia has the playmaking ability, but also athletic enough and good enough defensively to be a lone 6, Caicedo plays the roaming 8, you just need someone to link with attack.

I'd even argue an attacking mid, Gallagher, and Lavia would be very good, and we could've saved 200M.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Catching up on yesterdays action. Chelsea fans - how is Sterling not making the squad?

Doesn't make sense to me.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Catching up on yesterdays action. Chelsea fans - how is Sterling not making the squad?

Doesn't make sense to me.
They would like to move him out, but I think there is also a frank footballing explanation which is that there were three other wingers on the bench (Neto, Mudryk, Madueke), all of whom are ahead of him in the pecking order, and all of whom (except Mudryk) IMO unambiguously should be.

Reactions: Peen

HeHateMeFrisbee

Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Savannah, GA
I think Kulu is no longer a winger. He can play there when needed, but he is now competing with Maddison for that number 10 role. That would explain the lack of Eze move (as well as $$$)

Still think we need an upgrade for LB/LCB, but it seems they are content with Davies/Spence covering that for now...

Finding the best combo of Johnson/Kulusevski/Bentancur/Sarr/Bissouma/Bergvall/Maddison for 4 spots is going to be key.
It's so nice having some depth!! We are going to need it with all the extra games this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad