The Fall of Pierre

Status
Not open for further replies.

LevelingSolo

Jan 15, 2012
I mean, the purse strings were tight when Eugene was still alive around this time.

Some of the big names for coaching positions being bandied about just weren’t realistic.

A lot of the reason we had the coaches we had is because they were cheap. He’ll, that’s why we have Dorion.

Not to mention, I have it on good authority that Claude Julien as a local guy would never coach Ottawa with Eugene as the owner.
I believe that, I know Deboer changed his mind on the Sens in 08 after meeting Melnyk I believe
Two bad coaches in a row? Guy Boucher came in and did exactly what we needed from him. He took us from a non-playoff team to one shot away from the cup finals. He's not a coach you want for a rebuild. DJ also did a great job throughout the rebuild. All coaches have a shelf life, some shorter than others.

Besides, Boudreau is about to be fired for the second time since we hired Boucher. You're telling me you want that guy???
Boudreau has a great track record, the Canucks struggles don't fall on him

Reactions: Agent Zuuuub

Stylizer1

Teflon Don
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
InsignificantSomeDove-max-1mb.gif

Oh Dohrion. lol

Reactions: BonHoonLayneCornell

lancepitlick

Nov 20, 2016
Has to be time right?

30 percent of this roster aren't NHL players.

Prospect pipeline dry af.

Defence still a mess.

Prodigious waste of money as a budget team.

I've been a Dorion hater for quite some time. Signing Giroux, a no-brainer, and trading a high first for a gold player don't change that.

I expect that new ownership will fire him and DJ.

Hopefully the replacements are capable.

Reactions: bert

lancepitlick

Nov 20, 2016
You’re assuming those calibre D-Men were available… the only ones available were Chychrun and Weegar who was a pending UFA. You spending the 7OA on one of those guys?

Here's the thing: Pierre has had 5 years to find a competent veteran Defenceman. He has a rookie, many #7's and Zub. And Chabot. That's it.

It isn't about this summer. He's had ages to sign, trade for or draft a capable NHL defenseman. Instead he's found Hamonic, Hainsey, Del Zotto, Zaitsev.

He needs to have forethought.

He couldn't turn Zbad + Duchesne + Mark Stone into a Zub level player? That's the problem.

He traded high 2nds for Brassard, Murray and Stepan. Completely needless. All those assets = a good NHL defenseman.

Dorion stinks at managing assets and has zero foresight.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
I also have to truly wonder if Dorion understands systems etc well enough to identify if a coach is good or bad at implementing them. He never played so he never would have actually had to learn them and execute them. Which might be part of why he is supporting the coach.
I wondered the same thing.

If it's not DJ, he's either laying the blame on the players or himself. If it's on the players, well, you're the one who signed all these guys to massive contracts. It's also on you as the GM to identify the right players.

So what is the problem...

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON

If that's not it, then is DJ giving his team a league-worst record over the span of 4 seasons not enough?

DJ is lucky he's been employed by the Sens and not anyone of the other 31 teams. There isn't another NHL team that would have entered a 4th season with him at the helm.

Reactions: bert

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I also have to truly wonder if Dorion understands systems etc well enough to identify if a coach is good or bad at implementing them. He never played so he never would have actually had to learn them and execute them. Which might be part of why he is supporting the coach.
He played till he was 19 and gave up after a failed tryout for the jr Senators, I guess you can argue he never got to a high enough level but he did play

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
He played till he was 19 and gave up after a failed tryout for the jr Senators, I guess you can argue he never got to a high enough level but he did play
He wasnt playing these types of systems if he never played Jr A especially back then. He never even played Jr B who definitely dont have relatable systems. He wouldnt know unless he was actively coached. I wonder how he even got the GM job of the Jr sens.

FYI the sens are now tied for the 2nd worst record in the league. If Anaheim wins tonight then they will be tied for last in the entire NHL after 15 games. If someone told you that going into the season would you have believed them?

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
He won’t even get a chance to GM
Such a bad trade, especially when you factor in the contracts subsequently signed. Big head scratcher there..

A big reason the Sens are bad is because Dorion had a front row seat to Nick Paul’s rise to an effective NHL player, and he decided he didn’t like what he saw anymore and the Tampa Bay Lightning who won the last 2 Cups did like what they saw.

Good team make goods move, bad teams make bad moves.

Just even explain Dylan Demelo at $3 million. A steady depth guy RD exactly what the Sens need. Dorion didn’t like it, but he did like Zaitsev.

Sucking is as Sucking does

h2

Mar 26, 2002
Paul did not want to stay in Ottawa.

I have not read anything indicating that. He wanted to get paid what he felt he deserved. Garrioch is on record stating Ottawa offfered 2.5 and Paul wanted 3.0. Ottawa wouldn't budge so he was traded to Tampa and they gave 3.0 after the playoffs. Ottawa then gave that 3.0 which they wouldn't give to Paul to Joseph instead, hence the head scratch.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
Yes he did lol. All they had to do was put a 3 in front of it. Dorion wouldn't do it. Was willing to sign for 4 years too.

It was actually more a dispute about the term as opposed to the salary.

I have not read anything indicating that. He wanted to get paid what he felt he deserved. Garrioch is on record stating Ottawa offfered 2.5 and Paul wanted 3.0. Ottawa wouldn't budge so he was traded to Tampa and they gave that deal after the playoffs. Ottawa then gave that 3.0 to Joseph instead, hence the head scratch.

Paul signed a 7 year deal.

h2

Mar 26, 2002
It was actually more a dispute about the term as opposed to the salary.

Paul signed a 7 year deal.

Garrioch did say Ottawa had no issue going long-term on Paul, it was always about the AAV for some weird reason. Their stance on that changed with Joseph.

Paul's value also went up following the playoff run.

Regardless though, this was mismanaged by Dorion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad