The Fall of Pierre

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I was open minded to Dorion's vision. But his moves this summer were inadequate at building a competitive roster.

You'd think after looking at teams like Toronto in our division, he'd know better than to focus on having a forward heavy roster. He assembled a team with numerous offensive threats, not enough NHL level defenders, gambling on Sanderson not sucking, has given DJ free reign to have shitty ice deployments, and traded away our best asset to acquire D help while focusing on getting a 1b goalie instead of a good defender.

Dorion sucks at evaluating pro talent and I don't trust him to do anything anymore. Just hope he doesn't do anything to further handicap this team and that new ownership fires him asap.
The goal was to play meaningful games in Feb/Mar. With that in mind I don't see how Toronto is a cautionary tale on how to build a roster, they've got the third most reg season wins in the last 5 years.

I get that they crumble come playoff time, but we've got a ways to go before worrying about that,

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
You’re assuming those calibre D-Men were available… the only ones available were Chychrun and Weegar who was a pending UFA. You spending the 7OA on one of those guys?
Brent Burns probably counts as a top pair d given he's playing over 23 mins a night and leads Car D in scoring. His age and cap hit might scare us off, certainly not a guy I'd have given 7OA for but he'd have been a great addition.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Brent Burns probably counts as a top pair d given he's playing over 23 mins a night and leads Car D in scoring. His age and cap hit might scare us off, certainly not a guy I'd have given 7OA for but he'd have been a great addition.
He turned down a trade here apparently due to family/canada etc. In all fairness Dorion did try and get a D man.

Overall though too many mistakes and errors time for a new GM. You have to think new ownership hires a new GM who gets to pick a new coach. I honestly think whoever comes in should keep the rest of the management and scouts then just add to it as they have a skeleton Staff to begin with. This organization needs someone with pedigree and a winning history to implement a new identity into the Ottawa Senators.

Reactions: HF Reader

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Has to be time right?

30 percent of this roster aren't NHL players.

Prospect pipeline dry af.

Defence still a mess.

Prodigious waste of money as a budget team.
Our fourth line lw and RW are questionable at best.

Prospect pipeline is dry? I mean. I dono about dry. It’s not incredible. But it’s serviceable considering our team
Is so young. Not like we need prospects to be good ASAP.

Defence is a mess. Yeah. But our team defence is a mess. That’s the coaching which is really what I would blame management for.

He turned down a trade here apparently due to family/canada etc. In all fairness Dorion did try and get a D man.

Overall though too many mistakes and errors time for a new GM. You have to think new ownership hires a new GM who gets to pick a new coach. I honestly think whoever comes in should keep the rest of the management and scouts then just add to it as they have a skeleton Staff to begin with. This organization needs someone with pedigree and a winning history to implement a new identity into the Ottawa Senators.
Yeah. Tried burns, chychrun, klingberg. He tried to get the guy but shit happens.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I’m not going to turn around and get mad at Dorion after he made moves that were largely supported around here.

We are short a top 4 d-man and with two of our best out, it hurts, but if the asking price was Pinto we would all be hating him for that too.

I’d like to see this team with a different coach before I give Pierre an F for this season.

Last edited:

Loach

Jun 9, 2021

Do think Bowness is here to get a lay of the land? League "suggested him" kind of thing? New owners, Poho, Bowness becomes GM....

ksens

Mar 8, 2006
Dorion is not going anywhere until there is new ownership. I can't see the current "board" trying to hire a new GM or even appoint an interim one when the primary focus is selling the team regardless of the product on the ice.

New ownership is a January / calendar Q1 2023 thing. At that point we'll be very obviously done playing meaningful games (if we're not already) and a housecleaning will be an easy sell to the fan base. Then a new GM will have lots of time to go about trying to retool this roster and be competitive next year.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Yeah, I'd heard rumours that he wouldn't waive, whether true or not I don't doubt that we explored lots of options, it takes two teams and sometimes a player to make a trade happen, sometimes there isn't much you can do.

Chychrun seems like the only guy we can safely say Dorion could have and still can get, but has chosen to hold off of because the ask is too high, I don't blame him for that, but it would be interesting to see the alternate universe in which we traded for him instead of DeBribcat, I guess it wouldn't be any better right now since Chychrun still hasn't been cleared to play mind you.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I’d like to see this team with a different coach before I give Pierre an F for this season.
Idk, on the one hand I get it, I like the roster for the most part, and the results need to come, close in every game doesn't really count at the end of the season, I have a hard time seeing DJ survive much longer.

On the other hand, Dorion now has two failed HC hires, how many kicks at the can does he get?

Then again, what constraints were there on his hires, Boudreau needed to walk on water for Melnyk to pay him, with the new ownership maybe we get someone more established this time around.

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
Cannot fault him for the moves made this summer. They were good ones. Perhaps can fault him for failing to get that last piece that we really needed (RHD).

He will almost certainly be removed once new ownership is in place. I wouldn't expect anything before that.

Reactions: God Says No

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Kelly, Watson, Brassard, Hamonic, Zaitsev, Gambrell are pretty bad.

Guys like Kastelic and Motte are guys you have as your absolute bottom rung depth but for us they are our best bottom 6 players.

After 6/7 years of tanking and picking high as well as a firesale. Crazy.
And they aren't losing because of those guys

Reactions: Alex1234

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
And they aren't losing because of those guys

No, not all the time but they are contributing to the losses. The 4th line has lost a lot of steam since the start of the year. If you have 4 lines rolling then it helps the top lines which isn't happening right now.

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021
The moves he made this summer were good ones. DJ is the next to go under any circumstances.
At least one move (the Debrincat trade) that was made this summer was a short term focus and made with the intention of boosting attendance. There was always some risk connected to the trade in that Debrincat would only be around for one year. Of course, Debrincat would have to play at a high level as well and be the player that we hoped he would be. If they move Debrincat at the TDL or in the summer, let's hope there's a very good return from his trade. That will be necessary to mitigate the risk that was there.

Last edited:

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021
Dorion is not going anywhere until there is new ownership. I can't see the current "board" trying to hire a new GM or even appoint an interim one when the primary focus is selling the team regardless of the product on the ice.

New ownership is a January / calendar Q1 2023 thing. At that point we'll be very obviously done playing meaningful games (if we're not already) and a housecleaning will be an easy sell to the fan base. Then a new GM will have lots of time to go about trying to retool this roster and be competitive next year.
If you can post something on that, I'd appreciate it. I must have missed that news.

The last thing I saw that mentioned a timeline was that a lease agreement needed to be in place by Fall 2023. There was also news about several potential buyers being interested in the team and approaching the company they've hired to help with the sale. Maybe the timing was included in that info but I just missed it.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
One summer of good GM work doesn't make up for years of incompetence, and we're seeing that right now.
Are we seeing that right now? Dorion was handcuffed by Eugene. That we can agree.

What if the last years are biting us in the ass right now? The lack of a top 4 d? That’s it? The most infamously hard to find and hard to acquire position in the league.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Are we seeing that right now? Dorion was handcuffed by Eugene. That we can agree.

What if the last years are biting us in the ass right now? The lack of a top 4 d? That’s it? The most infamously hard to find and hard to acquire position in the league.
Dorion is in a tough spot but imo his two failings are the D, and coaching.

Both can be partially attributed to constraints prior to Melnyk passing away.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Dorion did a good job, injuries+coaching are our issues right now.

Great work on offense, but our defense was a glaring issue and he basically did nothing to address it. He did an half-assed job.

Also, coaching is on him as well, so I can't see how you can say he did "good".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad