The Fall of Pierre

Status
Not open for further replies.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I disagree. Brown was an extremely important stabilizing presence throughout the worst days of the rebuild. There's no doubt he had a positive impact on the development of many of the young players on the team right now.

Even Zaitsev was at times a serviceable #4 defenseman. It's only recently that his game has taken a big nose dive.
I agree Brown was a great soldier for us.

My point of view, is we could have gotten any number of guys around the league to take on the same role. Brown isn’t a unicorn, he’s one of the most replaceable players in the league.

Do I think taking on Zaitsev’s 19.5 million owed dollars over 5 seasons was worth it for 190 games of Connor Brown at a time when we knew we were going to be a bottom of the standings team? No I don’t, I think we could have brought any number of guys on a similar/cheaper contract who could have played that role over the 3 years we were at the bottom.

I think it makes much more sense to even just let Ceci walk for nothing as a UFA a year early, if we were that worried avoiding his arbitration award.

Of course it’s using hindsight, but it doesn’t take a hockey genius to see Zaitsev was an anchor contract with 5 years remaining, and was not a very serviceable D at the time that would only get worse moving forward.

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
Our depth is supposed to have Formenton and Pinto.

True but Dorion traded away Brown without knowing what's up with Formenton and after saddling himself with 3m Hamonic so that's his own fault.

And yep, if we're healthy we're competitive but two injuries and the team gets eliminated a month in to the season? thats the hall mark of a bad team with bad depth.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Do I think taking on Zaitsev’s 19.5 million owed dollars over 5 seasons was worth it for 190 games of Connor Brown at a time when we knew we were going to be a bottom of the standings team? No I don’t, I think we could have brought any number of guys on a similar/cheaper contract who could have played that role over the 3 years we were at the bottom.
this x100.

I loved Brown, but nothing he was capable of doing could make up for zaitsev being shite

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
No, not all the time but they are contributing to the losses. The 4th line has lost a lot of steam since the start of the year. If you have 4 lines rolling then it helps the top lines which isn't happening right now.
Yeah, that must be it, the 4th line. They were brutal on the PP

Well that line isn't helping either. I expected a lot more out of them tbh, especially Kelly.
You can say that about everyone. But they aren't reason. Not even 5% of the problem here

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
I know you're trying to make a joke. But, the answer is when we stopped getting hemmed in our zone for 3/4 of the game and constantly doubled up on the shot clock. Having someone like Brown to throw on the ice to relieve pressure off the kids getting pounded, and push the puck to the offensive zone was huge.
Ah, well then. Mission accomplished.

Gotta admit, it's not quite as satisfying or fulfilling as I had hoped.

• Haha
Reactions: Mingus Dew

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
The goal was to play meaningful games in Feb/Mar. With that in mind I don't see how Toronto is a cautionary tale on how to build a roster, they've got the third most reg season wins in the last 5 years.

I get that they crumble come playoff time, but we've got a ways to go before worrying about that,
Toronto has a lot of wins but they have a team that is top heavy like ours, with not much invested on D. At least Dubas was aggressive in getting top 4 D and signed guys like Muzzin, Brodie, etc... but Dorion hasn't even done that. We're a team built on the blue print of try to outscore your opponents, don't worry about defense because we have a highly touted rookie and a floaty #1 defender who can be played for 25 minutes.

LevelingSolo

Jan 15, 2012
This guy hired two bad coaches in a row

Still crazy to me that he went Boucher over Boudreau back when

No he refuses to blame the coach for anything

Fall of Pierre indeed

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
Do people want Dorion to go full Rutherford and set DJ on fire in the town square? If he shit on DJ, pretty much the same things would be said. Don't get me wrong, I think they both need to go, but what's he going to say?

h2

Mar 26, 2002
Do people want Dorion to go full Rutherford and set DJ on fire in the town square? If he shit on DJ, pretty much the same things would be said. Don't get me wrong, I think they both need to go, but what's he going to say?
Not make up BS statements about the coach not being the problem?

No comment would have sufficed.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Yeah, that must be it, the 4th line. They were brutal on the PP

You can say that about everyone. But they aren't reason. Not even 5% of the problem here
I'll pick on Kastelic as a proxy for the 4th line even though I think he's the only one playing well on the line; Kastelic is the only center on the team with more goals against than for while on the ice 5v5, with three more goals against than for. I'd say that's contributing to the problem, more goals on the PP might help mitigate that but we're 12th in the league in pp%,

Kastelic is 186th out of 236 centers in the league in 5v5 GA/60, that's second worst for centers on the sens (for some reason Stützle is still listed as a LW so I manually added him).

4th line is supposed to give the team some energy and not get scored on, the later has been an issue for ours and getting hemmed in our end has had the opposite of the intended effect for the former. Seems like a relatively easy opportunity for improvement.

Fourth line might not be the sexy target for disdain, but I think you're minimizing their impact, they need to be much better imo.

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
Pierre? Yes, I saw that he was present. What about it?
The first time it was giggling Pierre, the second time it was "We're a team" Pierre. I'll have to watch it again.

Reactions: h2

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Was Jacques Martin the last Sens coach who got fired and found another head coaching gig in the NHL? That says a lot about our hiring process.
We got pretty close to hiring DeBoer, and arguabt Boudreau. Might not have been the process that got in the way of those two and instead the final decision maker.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.STEVE★
Jul 26, 2005
Was Jacques Martin the last Sens coach who got fired and found another head coaching gig in the NHL? That says a lot about our hiring process.
TBH, I'm kinda surprised MacLean hasn't been hired. In the 3.5 years as the coach here, he won the Jack Adams once and was the finalist the other time.

Ah, well then. Mission accomplished.

Gotta admit, it's not quite as satisfying or fulfilling as I had hoped.
Rebuilding is not a binary thing. The rebuild is never over until/if we win the cup.

LevelingSolo

Jan 15, 2012

Yes sir

Could have had Boudreau in 2016 but he was lowballed on term and took the Minny job instead or something

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
TBH, I'm kinda surprised MacLean hasn't been hired. In the 3.5 years as the coach here, he won the Jack Adams once and was the finalist the other time.
I do find it a bit interesting he hasn't had a second chance anywhere, DeBoer for example had a much worse record with the Panthers and got a second chance, became a pretty well regarded coach. McLean must have pissed someone off to go from Jack Adams nominations/win to never getting another sniff

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Yes sir

Could have had Boudreau in 2016 but he was lowballed on term and took the Minny job instead or something

I mean, the purse strings were tight when Eugene was still alive around this time.

Some of the big names for coaching positions being bandied about just weren’t realistic.

A lot of the reason we had the coaches we had is because they were cheap. He’ll, that’s why we have Dorion.

Not to mention, I have it on good authority that Claude Julien as a local guy would never coach Ottawa with Eugene as the owner.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.STEVE★
Jul 26, 2005
This guy hired two bad coaches in a row

Still crazy to me that he went Boucher over Boudreau back when

No he refuses to blame the coach for anything

Fall of Pierre indeed
Two bad coaches in a row? Guy Boucher came in and did exactly what we needed from him. He took us from a non-playoff team to one shot away from the cup finals. He's not a coach you want for a rebuild. DJ also did a great job throughout the rebuild. All coaches have a shelf life, some shorter than others.

Besides, Boudreau is about to be fired for the second time since we hired Boucher. You're telling me you want that guy???

Reactions: SensEnforcer

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Two bad coaches in a row? Guy Boucher came in and did exactly what we needed from him. He took us from a non-playoff team to one shot away from the cup finals. He's not a coach you want for a rebuild. DJ also did a great job throughout the rebuild. All coaches have a shelf life, some shorter than others.

Besides, Boudreau is about to be fired for the second time since we hired Boucher. You're telling me you want that guy???
The guy who’s had a winning record everywhere he’s been? Yes, as a fan of a team that hasn’t had a winning record in 6 years, I’d like him as coach.

And if Dorion happens to hire him, you’ll support it too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad