The Fall of Pierre

Status
Not open for further replies.

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
Weird how Dorion wants playoff performers and he trades Paul and Connor Brown.
I get what you're saying here but Paul didn't have a single game under his belt before he was dealt. Brown made a minimal impact in the games he did play in the postseason. I do think they should have held on to Brown on the off chance that our team depth wasn't as good as it appeared to be, wasn't happy about that deal. Not to worry, this team won't be flirting with the idea of playoffs for some time.

Reactions: Tuna99

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Randy Sexton would like a word. So would Mel Bridgeman. I bet he'd like more than one.
I mean, Mel was our first GM and Sexton was..well, Sexton. He helped get us the franchise. Dorion has years and years and years of NHL experience, a decent budget and still has been mid.

It will be time to move on from him at this point, once new ownership comes in.

Reactions: lancepitlick

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005
I mean, Mel was our first GM and Sexton was..well, Sexton. He helped get us the franchise. Dorion has years and years and years of NHL experience, a decent budget and still has been mid.

It will be time to move on from him at this point, once new ownership comes in.
Bless him. He was in waaaaay over his head as GM.

Last edited:

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Why would you buy a car without looking under the hood first? A big draw of buying the Senators will be the Lebreton development but part of the due diligence of buying a hockey team would be to get up to speed on the actual team and it's ops, no?
At the earliest, if everything goes smoothly, a sale and transfer of ownership will happen in March….. so don’t expect PD to be let go in March…. If at all.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I don't see anywhere in the post that you responded to that said "the first thing they'll do is fire the GM". The rest of what your saying is kind of obvious and they'll probably start with a hire of a president (top guy) so that he can put his team in place. A timeline was not mentioned in the post at all.

In your last paragraph you seem to ignore that the player might not have felt the offer was fair market value. That's an "odd" omission.

so the poster said “There is a 0% chance Dorion survives an ownership change.”…. Indicating that PD will be let go as soon as the new owner takes over, sometime in March, at the earliest…

also, when an impending UFA does not agree to sign with his team, what other reason could it be other than whatever the offer is or was? Did not see a reason to state the obvious…..

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Are you suggesting that someone who is paying $800 million for the franchise, dumping another $400 million into an arena is going to do their due diligence and get a lay of the land AFTER they buy it?
lmfao
Are you implying they don’t have hockey people advising them? That if they finish near the bottom of the league they won’t see a coach who has been here 5 years and has done nothing, and they will be such hockey simpletons that they know what to do with the lowest paid GM in the league who has zero success & hires these coaches?

Seriously?
Do you seriously think that every possible new owner is going to have a deep dive into the inner working of the coaching/scouting staff and the general manager?
perhaps they‘ll spend their time on the viability of the marketplace, the Lebreton Flats deal and financial issues…. The operational nuts and bolts are way down on the list of due diligence.

Perhaps you have an example, of a sale of an NHL franchise where the new ownership cleans house within a week of taking over?

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
1. so the poster said “There is a 0% chance Dorion survives an ownership change.”…. Indicating that PD will be let go as soon as the new owner takes over, sometime in March, at the earliest…

also, when an impending UFA does not agree to sign with his team, what other reason could it be other than whatever the offer is or was? Did not see a reason to state the obvious…..
1. LOL - nope. The post said nothing about that & you're stating your supposition as a fact. My post was based on post #128. The March bit you mentioned must have come from another post.

2. Glad you acknowledge that its possible that a player and agent might know what fair market value is. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: bert

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
Do you seriously think that every possible new owner is going to have a deep dive into the inner working of the coaching/scouting staff and the general manager?
perhaps they‘ll spend their time on the viability of the marketplace, the Lebreton Flats deal and financial issues…. The operational nuts and bolts are way down on the list of due diligence.

Perhaps you have an example, of a sale of an NHL franchise where the new ownership cleans house within a week of taking over?

I’m not going to debate all the things you don’t know, or choose to be willfully ignorant about as is your way.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
1. LOL - nope. The post said nothing about that & you're stating your supposition as a fact. My post was based on post #128.

that Is exactly what he posted… here it is again.

Just need to wait out new ownership.

There is a 0% chance Dorion survives an ownership change. That’s inevitable. It’s just a waiting game at this point.

What part of “There is 0% chance Dorion survives an own ship change” are you having difficulty with?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
that Is exactly what he posted… here it is again.

What part of “There is 0% chance Dorion survives an own ship change” are you having difficulty with?
This is on your own incredibly poor reading comprehension. Nowhere did I say, or mean, the minute new owners arrive that Dorion is done. If I meant he’d be gone as soon as new owners arrive, I’d have explicitly said “Dorion will be gone the moment new ownership arrives”

When new ownership arrive, they will bring with them new management group. Whether that’s in the off-season, Pierre has no chance of staying on as GM with new owners.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
This is on your own incredibly poor reading comprehension. Nowhere did I say, or mean, the minute new owners arrive that Dorion is done. If I meant he’d be gone as soon as new owners arrive, I’d have explicitly said “Dorion will be gone the moment new ownership arrives”

When new ownership arrive, they will bring with them new management group. Whether that’s in the off-season, Pierre has no chance of staying on as GM with new owners.
It’s very likely that Dorion is gone when new ownership arrives but IMO it’s not impossible they like his plan once presented to them. This was his first offseason without his co-GM and it was his best summer yet.

Reactions: BondraTime

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
It’s very likely that Dorion is gone when new ownership arrives but IMO it’s not impossible they like his plan once presented to them. This was his first offseason without his co-GM and it was his best summer yet.
Don’t think it’s very likely. If someone is spending the money it will take to acquire the Sens, they’re going to want their own people running the team.

Is Dorion, who has been that person for the past 7 years going to be that guy, after the team is done the way it has over that tenure? I don’t think that’s likely.

I’d imagine that the ownership groups already have people in mind, and have likely already started the process of vetting guys should their bid win.

They very well may like his plan, but they’ll put their own person in charge after the billion dollar acquisition.

They’re going to want to sell “a new horizon”, hard to do that with the same guy that’s been in charge for 8 years.

I wouldn’t be opposed to keeping him in a different role, he’s forgotten more about hockey and scouting than 99% of this board knows. It’s time the Sens get a new leader in place, which is a sentiment I’m sure new owners would share.

Last edited:

Stylizer1

Teflon Don
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Don’t think it’s very likely. If someone is spending the money it will take to acquire the Sens, they’re going to want their own people running the team.
President of Scouting?
Is Dorion, who has been that person for the past 7 years going to be that guy, after the team is done the way it has over that tenure? I don’t think that’s likely.

I’d imagine that the ownership groups already have people in mind, and have likely already started the process of vetting guys should their bid win.

They very well may like his plan, but they’ll put their own person in charge after the billion dollar acquisition.

They’re going to want to sell “a new horizon”, hard to do that with the same guy that’s been in charge for 8 years.

I wouldn’t be opposed to keeping him in a different role, he’s forgotten more about hockey and scouting than 99% of this board knows. It’s time the Sens get a new leader in place, which is a sentiment I’m sure new owners would share.
President of scouting?

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015

🤢😷😷🤮🤮

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
The Summer of Pierre is actually a great representation of how poor a GM Pierre actually is.
He makes flashy moves, but fails to truly fix the issues with a team.
The Sens were bottom 10 in goals for last year and he got Debrincat and Giroux.

Not firing DJ is costing him the season now, however.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.STEVE★
Jul 26, 2005
Personally, when we get new ownership, I'd like to see them force a Barry Trotz hire as the head coach, with the goal of eventually transitioning him to GM in a few seasons, pushing Dorion to POHO or something.

• Haha
Reactions: inthewings

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
Personally, when we get new ownership, I'd like to see them force a Barry Trotz hire as the head coach, with the goal of eventually transitioning him to GM in a few seasons, pushing Dorion to POHO or something.

Your dedication to Dorion is truly incredible.

I'm not sure there's been a GM with a worse resume in league history. But let's push into even more power rather than pushing him into the sun?

It's gonna be a real shock to you when Dorion struggles to find a top management position again.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.STEVE★
Jul 26, 2005
Your dedication to Dorion is truly incredible.

I'm not sure there's been a GM with a worse resume in league history. But let's push into even more power rather than pushing him into the sun?

It's gonna be a real shock to you when Dorion struggles to find a top management position again.
Or fire him. I honestly don't care. POHO is pretty powerless. He clearly has a good eye for talent at the amateur level, so I wouldn't mind keeping that in the system.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

My hope is Dorion is dismissed completely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad