Pre-Game Talk: The 2013-2014 Training Camp/Preseason Discussion Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
I can't imagine a scenario where swapping Biron with Hedberg would be worth the resulting savings.

Hedberg is not an NHL goaltender at this point.

Remember when we had Valiquette, this would possibly be worse. Lundqvist will need his rest especially with the extended Olympic season. You can't play him 70+ NHL games this year.
He'll be at nearly 100 games when the playoffs roll around.

Keep Biron or sign a backup for 1 million that is worthy.

Hedberg would be the poorest management decision of the summer.

I think Biron is staying but IF they moved Biron , signed Hedberg dirt cheap they still have Talbot who it seems they plan on backing up next yr.

I rather see Hedberg stay but on a 2 way deal

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm really rooting for Hedberg to stick with the Rangers (As dirty as it makes me feel) though I'm not sure I see him beating out Biron.

IMO Hedberg is still a decent BACKUP goalie. Most of his struggles last year were because he had to start so many games in a row because of Brodeur's injury. The most consecutive games he's started in his entire career. He looked good for the Devils in games when he was just coming off the bench once a week or so. His save percentage in games where he was playing sporadically last year was around 915. When starting all those games for an injured Brodeur it was like a dreadful 868 or something. He's not good enough to take over if Henrik is unable to play for a significant period though.

Even before the Schneider trade I said Hedberg is still a good backup. Just not the guy you want backing up another 40 year old injury prone goaltender. I always said he'd be a damn good backup to a guy like Lundqvist, Quick, Rinne, Luongo, etc. Not a 40+ year old Brodeur.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Was curious if there is a cap number that Sather is unwilling to match if an offer sheet came to Stepan. Most I could imagine a GM offering is 6 mil per, but is that enough for Sather to decline a match?

BTW - I'm not suggesting Buffalo make an offer sheet...I know Regier doesn't do that. Just wondering if there's a limit based on NYR's cap situation.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Was curious if there is a cap number that Sather is unwilling to match if an offer sheet came to Stepan. Most I could imagine a GM offering is 6 mil per, but is that enough for Sather to decline a match?

BTW - I'm not suggesting Buffalo make an offer sheet...I know Regier doesn't do that. Just wondering if there's a limit based on NYR's cap situation.

We obviously don't know for sure but I think the Rangers would match anything up to a salary that would get them multiple first rounders

tail7711*

Vic, why is the cap space Stepan's fault? Sather has painted himself into a corner that will be he will have to get out of if a offer sheet comes. If he only had 1.2 million left in cap space should Stepan take that? He has earned a nice contract and I have zero hard feeling's that he is holding out.

There is a Market Value for Stepan and it is obvious that its more than the 2.5 or 2.6 that they are offering him. Stepan has played 125 more games in the NHL than Kadri. There is no way he's getting less than Kadri. We just need to be patient. It will get done.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Even on a bridge, I think Stepan should get over 4 mil per, maybe 5 mil. What's Sather's ceiling on him right now?

doubtful there is enough cap space right now for that...

but if word is players will start getting cut on Tuesday, its possible that step is waiting to see who is cut. then negotiate his remaining dollars

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Even on a bridge, I think Stepan should get over 4 mil per, maybe 5 mil. What's Sather's ceiling on him right now?

I'm happy you arent our GM.

bridge means he has ZERO leverage and youre bridgeing him to when he does get leverage (arbitration)..

i'd give him 2.5-3 mil myself.

he's got no leverage at all.

Jabroni

The People's Champ
Jun 1, 2008
$4M is too high. $5M is ludicrous. 3.5 at most seems like the upper limit.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

Duchene got 3.5. He should get more than Duchene?

Couture got 2.875. Stepan should get more?

Giroux got 3.75, but it was a 3 year deal. Stepan should get a higher AAV on a 2 year deal?

I don't think so.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
You, Crusty, Jabroni, and Gagline are all probably right, but I don't think 4 mil per is out of line with his production and probable improvement in the next couple years.
Yeah contracts are kinda weird like that. You sign them now. They pay you in the future based on what you've done in the past.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Kadri has signed. Pietrangelo has signed.

olyvr.jpg

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Yeah contracts are kinda weird like that. You sign them now. They pay you in the future based on what you've done in the past.

Well he already was about a ppg player this past season, and good in every area of the ice. I think he's already proven himself by getting better for three straight seasons.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I'll break it down.

McDonagh got $4.7 million per on a six year contract. That includes:
- 3 arbitration eligible RFA years
- 3 UFA years

You think Stepan deserves around that mark for a two year deal that comprised of:
- 1 non-arbitration eligible RFA year
- 1 arbitration eligible RFA year

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Well he already was about a ppg player this past season, and good in every area of the ice. I think he's already proven himself by getting better for three straight seasons.

A 48 game season. And his numbers in the playoffs are less impressive. In short, he still needs to prove himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad