Pre-Game Talk: The 2013-2014 Training Camp/Preseason Discussion Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
wait wait wait.

First off, Rick Nash was acquired in a trade. Second off, Rick Nash was not very good?

What is very good to you?

He was 10th in the NHL in goals. He was on pace for a 40+ goal season and an 80+ point season.

personally i like gabby was washed up when he got here better than rick nash was not very good.

i love this guy :laugh:

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
All but 4 forwards and 2 D-men contracts are up next year. Do you guys really think that Sather knows what he is doing? He couldn't get 4 guys signed this summer how about 17 next summer. He will have to get these guys signed in between sponge baths from his nurses at he funny farm. How can any Ranger fan have any faith in this clown. He will retire this year and let Gorton clean up his mess. Put a tent over that circus next summer and sell tickets.

do you really think he is going to let 17 guys walk? a richards buyout + the cap going up should give us more than enough room to resign everyone while giving some raises.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
do you really think he is going to let 17 guys walk? a richards buyout + the cap going up should give us more than enough room to resign everyone while giving some raises.
I can see it.

When asked why his opening night lineup features 11 skaters and no goalies, Sather responds, "There wasn't enough time. I'm a three signing kind of guy."

tail7711*

Gabby have any rings with the Rangers? Nash, Richy, Drury,Redden? All those hawks your talking about we're young and traded for. My point is you need to build it from your youth not signing 30 something UFA'S. The youth we once had is now in Columbus and we are no closer to a cup. The guys who make 7.8 million a year had 20-30 more points than Nash did last year!! In a shorten season that's alot!!

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
Gabby have any rings with the Rangers? Nash, Richy, Drury,Redden? All those hawks your talking about we're young and traded for. My point is you need to build it from your youth not signing 30 something UFA'S. The youth we once had is now in Columbus and we are no closer to a cup. The guys who make 7.8 million a year had 20-30 more points than Nash did last year!! In a shorten season that's alot!!

Damn everyone for signing everyone because not everyone on every team wins a cup. Damn it all.

Raspewtin

Stay at home defenseman hater
May 30, 2013

did you just completely ignore all the posts everyones rebutted, and justify it by saying YEAH WELL THEY DIDNT WIN RINGS SO BUSTS. Dubinsky sucks and Anisimov is a decent middle 6 player. Yeah that was our future :sarcasm:

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
did you just completely ignore all the posts everyones rebutted, and justify it by saying YEAH WELL THEY DIDNT WIN RINGS SO BUSTS. Dubinsky sucks and Anisimov is a decent middle 6 player. Yeah that was our future :sarcasm:

b..bu...BUT PRUST!!!! he was the one

Kakko

Formerly Chytil
Mar 23, 2011
Long Island

You mean the one guy? Time Erixon?
The guy who we replaced with a better young defenseman?
The guy who wouldn't crack our roster?

Or do you mean Kerby Rychel?
The kid that'll be in the league when Hank's retired?
My mad, 'MAY' be in the NHL, not 'will' be.

Fanned On It

Dec 20, 2011
New York

LOL you're shot dude. You have no idea what you're talking about... but yeah, Sather signed Nash, right?

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
A lot of good posts, but anyone who is looking for camp updates has to scan through a lot of posts on Stepans contract or the Nash trade. Can't we bump some old threads for those posts?

Glennsoe

Horndog
Jan 7, 2011
Sooooooo...Since I haven't watched anything from the camp.

How did our boys look?

Anyone stand out?good or bad?

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Stepan is arguably the Rangers most important forward. He is used in every situation. Even strength. PP. PK. Newell Brown didn't join AV in New York but the PP philosophy of having right-handed shots on the PP is the same. When AV was introduced at Radio City in June,he said having even just one righty on the PP changes the looks. Callahan will not be available for the first 2-3-4 weeks. The Rangers don't have many righties outside of Stepan and Callahan. The Rangers staff will be working on their systems soon but Stepan isn't here. Sather says Stepan has to understand how the CBA works. Someone needs to explain it to Glen because he didn't know why the cap dropped in the new CBA. If you listen to the interview from about 3 weeks out of Edmonton,Sather sounded all confused. Its time to get Stepan in camp.

Leslie Treff

Sep 18, 2005
New York
Thoughts from Yesterday and in My Sleepy State This Morning

Good morning all!

Just a few thoughts from yesterday at camp.

First, Skapski is back in Kootenay and Spelling is in Europe. It was decided after Traverse City that they should return to their teams. I have no update yet on Kyle Jean though, will try again later today.

About the Biron/Hedberg battle for backup. At first I thought that the word that there was a battle was pure fabrication, but the more I think about it, the more I wonder about the whole thing, including Biron's disappearance. Hedberg is so well thought of, Talbot is almost ready, the cap hit on Biron is $1.3 million. Hedberg will make less, a lot less. Its just speculation, but it is possible that the Rangers don't come up with a workable deal for Stepan, until a decision re Hedberg is made? One has to believe that a deal with Stepan will be made so he could play sometime during the Western trip, where per AV, the Rangers will only take give or take 40 players. (Cuts are expected to be made after Tuesday night's game in Philadelphia). So, this backup goaltender decision will need to be made soon.

A lot was made yesterday of coach Arniel/Brassard's past relationship--how everything is okay now. Both AV and Brassard specifically spoke about it. I am sure that both parties and the Rangers want this to be true and I think that is everybody's intention. I think that this is a we'll have to wait and see thing, as are most relationships that have a past that is murky. It is just being brought up now, because there are not many stories right now.

To complete the off ice observations, Dylan McIlrath spoke at length to the press yesterday about making the team (the usual "I hope and plan to make the team" words), but then spoke about his knee. He talked about how when the surgeon got in there, he found that it was worse than was expected. That he was nowhere near healed when he was playing last season, that he was not fully healed at Development Camp time, but that now he is 100%. He told us how he was rehabbing the knee over the summer and continues to work on it. Questions I did not ask in front of everyone were, does he continue to work specially on that knee, and does he have full range of motion in that knee. Plan to find out the answer to both over the coming weeks. In the mean time, I still would be surprised if McIlrath starts in New York this year; he has the makings of being the player that the Rangers want him to be, but he's just not powerful enough yet.

On the ice, Conor Allen looked good at finding the open man yesterday, and he was okay defensively too, but I don't think that he is NHL-ready either. The question for him will be whether there is space in Hartford either.

The most noticeable player on the ice yesterday was Josh Nicholls, who had four goals. He moved extremely well and has a very deceptive release. Brassard fed him most of the time, and was excellent at it. Nicholls will start at Hartford and will not have the likes of Brassard to get him the puck while there, but he should be able to contribute offensively to the AHL team this season.

Rick Nash and Taylor Pyatt also played well together. They found each other time after time down the ice and made at least three beautiful plays together. I am not sure that the plan was to have them play together during the season, but some thought should be given to exploiting this chemistry, if other, more expected, combinations don't work.

Surprisingly, Shawn O'Donnell had a couple of really good shots on goal, but after seeing several skating issues on Thursday (that had nothing to do with conditioning), I don't really think he has the speed to keep up at this level of play.

The last thing has to do with Kreider. The Youtube video AV was talking about regarding Kreider's strength was pretty impressive (remember buoyancy makes it a little less so, but lets not take the feat away from him). What concerned me a little was that he got whacked on the wrist by Justin Falk yesterday and seemed to be favoring it the rest of Group B's practice period. Hopefully, just a stinger and he's fine. AV mentioned Kreider's talent after Group B practiced. I expect that Kreider will be penciled in for a top six role to start the season and given a fairly long leash to show that he belongs there.

That's it for this morning.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Just give him the two years $3.5 per. About $250k more then we have been saying but just get this done. The Rangers need all the firepower they can get for this first month with Callahan and Hagelin out. This big road trip is huge. The momentum that could be built coming into a home stand by doing well on this road trip could give this team the confidence that this season could be something special.

You don't want to have to start digging yourself out of a hole after one month.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Its getting late early. Training camp isn't 7 weeks away. Its day 4 of camp. Preseason games start Monday. It moves really fast. The Rangers don't have an extra $500,000 to give Stepan. Brooks wrote their offer is $2.5M-$2.7M after he reported it was $2.75M-$3M. If Stepan was insisting on 5-6 years at $5M per,then he was wrong. He is willing to take the Rangers term. They can't work out the money? On a 23 player roster,the Rangers have $2.7M. They will need to delete a player to sign Stepan. Either Powe or Asham. The money is there. Both of those players will more than likely be waived and demoted at some point clearing $1.85M. Waivers begin Thursday. Teams have until September 30 to be cap compliant. Season begins 10/1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad