Pre-Game Talk: The 2013-2014 Training Camp/Preseason Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Stepan is arguably the Rangers most important forward. He is used in every situation. Even strength. PP. PK. Newell Brown didn't join AV in New York but the PP philosophy of having right-handed shots on the PP is the same. When AV was introduced at Radio City in June,he said having even just one righty on the PP changes the looks. Callahan will not be available for the first 2-3-4 weeks. The Rangers don't have many righties outside of Stepan and Callahan. The Rangers staff will be working on their systems soon but Stepan isn't here. Sather says Stepan has to understand how the CBA works. Someone needs to explain it to Glen because he didn't know why the cap dropped in the new CBA. If you listen to the interview from about 3 weeks out of Edmonton,Sather sounded all confused. Its time to get Stepan in camp.

Agreed on all counts. Penny wise and pound foolish

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Waive one of those two and you have your space to give Stepan $3.5 and still have a 22 man roster. I'm guessing we will see movement in this Wednesday into Thursday if waivers open on Thursday.

Leslie Treff

Sep 18, 2005
New York
The other thing I should mention along these lines is that Powe has looked very good at camp thus far. He was skating really well on Thursday and handling the puck and shooting well yesterday. It may mean absolutely nothing when it comes to being waived, but he may have turned some of the dozen heads that sat above the rink watching.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Good morning all!

Just a few thoughts from yesterday at camp.

First, Skapski is back in Kootenay and Spelling is in Europe. It was decided after Traverse City that they should return to their teams. I have no update yet on Kyle Jean though, will try again later today.

About the Biron/Hedberg battle for backup. At first I thought that the word that there was a battle was pure fabrication, but the more I think about it, the more I wonder about the whole thing, including Biron's disappearance. Hedberg is so well thought of, Talbot is almost ready, the cap hit on Biron is $1.3 million. Hedberg will make less, a lot less. Its just speculation, but it is possible that the Rangers don't come up with a workable deal for Stepan, until a decision re Hedberg is made? One has to believe that a deal with Stepan will be made so he could play sometime during the Western trip, where per AV, the Rangers will only take give or take 40 players. (Cuts are expected to be made after Tuesday night's game in Philadelphia). So, this backup goaltender decision will need to be made soon.

A lot was made yesterday of coach Arniel/Brassard's past relationship--how everything is okay now. Both AV and Brassard specifically spoke about it. I am sure that both parties and the Rangers want this to be true and I think that is everybody's intention. I think that this is a we'll have to wait and see thing, as are most relationships that have a past that is murky. It is just being brought up now, because there are not many stories right now.

To complete the off ice observations, Dylan McIlrath spoke at length to the press yesterday about making the team (the usual "I hope and plan to make the team" words), but then spoke about his knee. He talked about how when the surgeon got in there, he found that it was worse than was expected. That he was nowhere near healed when he was playing last season, that he was not fully healed at Development Camp time, but that now he is 100%. He told us how he was rehabbing the knee over the summer and continues to work on it. Questions I did not ask in front of everyone were, does he continue to work specially on that knee, and does he have full range of motion in that knee. Plan to find out the answer to both over the coming weeks. In the mean time, I still would be surprised if McIlrath starts in New York this year; he has the makings of being the player that the Rangers want him to be, but he's just not powerful enough yet.

On the ice, Conor Allen looked good at finding the open man yesterday, and he was okay defensively too, but I don't think that he is NHL-ready either. The question for him will be whether there is space in Hartford either.

The most noticeable player on the ice yesterday was Josh Nicholls, who had four goals. He moved extremely well and has a very deceptive release. Brassard fed him most of the time, and was excellent at it. Nicholls will start at Hartford and will not have the likes of Brassard to get him the puck while there, but he should be able to contribute offensively to the AHL team this season.

Rick Nash and Taylor Pyatt also played well together. They found each other time after time down the ice and made at least three beautiful plays together. I am not sure that the plan was to have them play together during the season, but some thought should be given to exploiting this chemistry, if other, more expected, combinations don't work.

Surprisingly, Shawn O'Donnell had a couple of really good shots on goal, but after seeing several skating issues on Thursday (that had nothing to do with conditioning), I don't really think he has the speed to keep up at this level of play.

The last thing has to do with Kreider. The Youtube video AV was talking about regarding Kreider's strength was pretty impressive (remember buoyancy makes it a little less so, but lets not take the feat away from him). What concerned me a little was that he got whacked on the wrist by Justin Falk yesterday and seemed to be favoring it the rest of Group B's practice period. Hopefully, just a stinger and he's fine. AV mentioned Kreider's talent after Group B practiced. I expect that Kreider will be penciled in for a top six role to start the season and given a fairly long leash to show that he belongs there.

That's it for this morning.

Good stuff Leslie! Thanks and keep 'em coming.

Boom Boom Geoffrion*

Gabby have any rings with the Rangers? Nash, Richy, Drury,Redden? All those hawks your talking about we're young and traded for. My point is you need to build it from your youth not signing 30 something UFA'S. The youth we once had is now in Columbus and we are no closer to a cup. The guys who make 7.8 million a year had 20-30 more points than Nash did last year!! In a shorten season that's alot!!

So you criticize Slats for overpaying for a 30 year old Drury, who's a heart&soul kind of guy. And then you follow that chestnut up by whining about Slats not overpaying for a 29 year old, heart&soul kind of guy in Prust.

Oh boyyyyyy.... :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

The things we read on this board.. You can't make this **** up even if you tried.

Boom Boom Geoffrion*

The other thing I should mention along these lines is that Powe has looked very good at camp thus far. He was skating really well on Thursday and handling the puck and shooting well yesterday. It may mean absolutely nothing when it comes to being waived, but he may have turned some of the dozen heads that sat above the rink watching.

I might be one of the few here but I don't mind Powe on our 4th line. I like his work on the PK. I like his speed. His hustle. Seems like a good teammate too.

Not the kind of guy I have high hopes for. But I'll take him over Pyatt without blinking an eye.

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
Leslie's speculation concerning Biron/Hedberg is a little worrisome. If the backup goalie competition is legitimate because Hedberg could potentially make less than Biron, that is just bad cap management.

Biron, despite his five-hole issues in the shootout, is a better backup than Hedberg at this juncture. He is also a good character guy in the locker room. Hedberg was lousy last season and it sounds like he is struggling at camp, I do not trust him to play around 20 games as Hank's backup. Asham/Powe should be the cap casualties instead of Biron.

Leslie Treff

Sep 18, 2005
New York
About Today

I will not be at the Training Center today. Family requests on a religious holiday will keep me away. Luckily, there will be no scrimmage today--that will be tomorrow. I will be at the MSG Training Center tomorrow.

Leslie Treff

Sep 18, 2005
New York
Leslie's speculation concerning Biron/Hedberg is a little worrisome. If the backup goalie competition is legitimate because Hedberg could potentially make less than Biron, that is just bad cap management.

Biron, despite his five-hole issues in the shootout, is a better backup than Hedberg at this juncture. He is also a good character guy in the locker room. Hedberg was lousy last season and it sounds like he is struggling at camp, I do not trust him to play around 20 games as Hank's backup. Asham/Powe should be the cap casualties instead of Biron.

This is nothing against Marty Biron, but Hedberg is tremendous in the locker room. He also is very good for spot starts. What you don't want him for is if your number one guy goes down for a long period.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
I might be one of the few here but I don't mind Powe on our 4th line. I like his work on the PK. I like his speed. His hustle. Seems like a good teammate too.

Not the kind of guy I have high hopes for. But I'll take him over Pyatt without blinking an eye.

I don't know. Powe just strikes me as the definition of ordinary. As for the PK, I would thus teams PK to at least instill some thought that there is a short handed threat.

Last edited:

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

If Hedberg beats out Biron, and he signs for the NHL minimum, we would save 375k by sticking Biron in Hartford.

I don't think we need that cap space though, and I have a time believing that Hedberg will actually win the job. I doubt we would make that move just for the cap savings.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I don't know. Powe just stories me as the definition of ordinary. As for the PK, I would thus teams PK to at least instill some thought that there is a short handed threat.

Autocorrect? The last sentence, I have no idea what you are trying to say. :laugh:

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Gabby have any rings with the Rangers? Nash, Richy, Drury,Redden? All those hawks your talking about we're young and traded for. My point is you need to build it from your youth not signing 30 something UFA'S. The youth we once had is now in Columbus and we are no closer to a cup. The guys who make 7.8 million a year had 20-30 more points than Nash did last year!! In a shorten season that's alot!!

The 27 year old underachiever, thev25 year old third line center and the defenseman who dropped on the Rangers depth charts constituted "our youth"?

16 To Stanley*

This is nothing against Marty Biron, but Hedberg is tremendous in the locker room. He also is very good for spot starts. What you don't want him for is if your number one guy goes down for a long period.

Obviously you're closer to the team than I am, but isn't Biron known as one of the best locker room guys on the Rangers? Not to mention he already has formed relationships with these guys...

The biggest thing said about Biron is how loved he is by his teammates, specifically lundqvist.

I'm not really sure how Hedberg could be a better locker room guy than him, from what I've heard. I'm not doubting that Hedberg is a good locker room guy, no one sticks around that long and isn't, but better than Biron, who's been a part of this team for a while...i have trouble believing that.

Boom Boom Geoffrion*

I don't know. Powe just stories me as the definition of ordinary. As for the PK, I would thus teams PK to at least instill some thought that there is a short handed threat.

He is very ordinary. But I think he can contribute more to this team than someone like Pyatt. I'm thinking special teams opposed to even strength. Neither player is a top-9, imo. Both are 4th liners. One can contribute more on the PK than the other. One will contribute more 5on5.

I view Powe as someone like Sjostrom. Another ordinary player with limited skill, but effective on the PK.

I guess I'd rather see guys on our top-6 play a limited role on the PK. I'd rather see Powe going down to block a shot from Chara instead of Callahan.

Leslie Treff

Sep 18, 2005
New York
Obviously you're closer to the team than I am, but isn't Biron known as one of the best locker room guys on the Rangers? Not to mention he already has formed relationships with these guys...

The biggest thing said about Biron is how loved he is by his teammates, specifically lundqvist.

I'm not really sure how Hedberg could be a better locker room guy than him, from what I've heard. I'm not doubting that Hedberg is a good locker room guy, no one sticks around that long and isn't, but better than Biron, who's been a part of this team for a while...i have trouble believing that.

I think I may have given folks the wrong idea. So, let me try to clarify. When I first heard AV say that the battle between Biron and Hedberg for backup was real, I thought that it was just for show. What I am now saying is that, what AV said could be real, as Hedberg does being several things, including cost less, for the Rangers. Both are very good in the locker room--I am not going to get into who is better. Biron is very well liked. But so was Steve Valiquette.

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
Who are the penalty killing forwards right now with Callahan and Hagelin out and Stepan not in camp yet? No Halpern this year either. I can only think of Powe and Boyle. Oh and Moore.

Boom Boom Geoffrion*

Who are the penalty killing forwards right now with Callahan and Hagelin out and Stepan not in camp yet? No Halpern this year either. I can only think of Powe and Boyle. Oh and Moore.

Dorsett too.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
24 players

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Rick Nash ($7.800m) / Brad Richards ($6.667m) / Ryan Callahan ($4.275m)
Carl Hagelin ($2.250m) / Derick Brassard ($3.200m) / Derek Dorsett ($1.633m)
Taylor Pyatt ($1.550m) / Brian Boyle ($1.700m) / Arron Asham ($1.000m)
Benoit Pouliot ($1.300m) / Chris Kreider ($1.325m) /
Mats Zuccarello ($1.150m) / Dominic Moore ($1.000m) /
Darroll Powe ($1.067m) / Derek Stepan ($3.250m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Ryan McDonagh ($4.700m) / Marc Staal ($3.975m)
Dan Girardi ($3.325m) / Michael Del Zotto ($2.550m)
Anton Stralman ($1.700m) / Justin Falk ($0.975m)
John Moore ($0.965m) /
GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($6.875m)
Martin Biron ($1.300m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $65,531,667; BONUSES: $762,500
CAP SPACE (24-man roster):- $469,167

Callahan and Hagelin could miss the entire month of October. The Rangers at or near the upper limit. They could long term IR for the first month. They can do many things. Waive Powe and/or Asham. Maybe one or both of them are claimed. The Rangers save $1.85M with both players in the AHL. Stepan needs to be in camp. He isn't a 3rd line player. #1 center. Plays 5 on 5. 4 on 4. PP. PK.

gmerger37

Dec 2, 2010
North Jersey

Depending on who makes the team I would say our top PK forwards are (in no particular order or line setting):

Boyle
Moore
Powe

After that things get a bit dicey without Cally or Hags but maybe Dorsett and or Nash will fill in until they get healthy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad