Pre-Game Talk: The 2013-2014 Training Camp/Preseason Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boom Boom Geoffrion*

When did you start following hockey, becuase you honestly, don't seem to have a clue about

A) Whether players were signed, traded for or drafted

B) Understanding the rules of the cap, including, but not limited to, summer rules, waiver rules, concept of AHL players being included on the roster during camp

Rules? What are you talking about dude?

JUST PAY STEPAN WHATEVER AMOUNT HE WANTS ALREADY, STOP TREATING HIM LIKE A COMPLETE ****ING GARBAGE, THIS ORGANIZATION TREATS THEIR PLAYERS SO BADLY.

WHY DID MCDONAGH GET SO MUCH MONEY? ARBITRATION? WHAT THE HELL IS THAT?

8X8 64M - THAT'S A FAIR DEAL FOR BOTH SIDES. DEREKS MOMS SIDES, AND HIS FATHERS SIDE. SATHER UR SO MEAN!!!!!1111one

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Then Stepan will report after that. Stepan is not signing for 2.3. He has already been offered 2.6 or 2.7 and Kadri got 2.9. There is no way Stepan signs for less than Kadri. Again it's not Stepans fault there is only 2.1 left. Sather will have to figure it out. If her was 1.5 left should Stepan have to sign that? Sather has put himself in this mess and now he will have to get himself out of it.

You seem to be under the misconception that we don't have enough cap space to pay Stepan what he is worth. You're wrong. We do. We aren't going into the season with 25 players. At least 2 will be sent down. Cally and Hags may get placed on LTIR. We can easily afford to give Stepan 3.5 per year. But Sather isn't going to give him that much just because he can afford to do so.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
All these deals happening with the amount of compromises from respective sides happening... I think Step is asking for $3.75M give or take and Glen is sticking to $2.8M give or take and they're both waiting for one side to say "Okay, we'll go up/down to $3.X" in order to jump in and say "Okay, if you're willing to go up or down to 3.X, then we'll counter propose that we go to $3.X +/- $200,000ish". Must be so exciting.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011

JUST PAY STEPAN WHATEVER AMOUNT HE WANTS ALREADY, STOP TREATING HIM LIKE A COMPLETE ****ING GARBAGE, THIS ORGANIZATION TREATS THEIR PLAYERS SO BADLY.

8X8 64M - THAT'S A FAIR DEAL FOR BOTH SIDES. DEREKS MOMS SIDES, AND HIS FATHERS SIDE. SATHER UR SO MEAN!!!!!1111one

I'm starting to buy the family & friends theory.

Boom Boom Geoffrion*

You seem to be under the misconception that we don't have enough cap space to pay Stepan what he is worth. You're wrong. We do. We aren't going into the season with 25 players. At least 2 will be sent down. Cally and Hags may get placed on LTIR. We can easily afford to give Stepan 3.5 per year. But Sather isn't going to give him that much just because he can afford to do so.

GAG are you familiar with capgeek? It says we only have 2.1M. I expect better from you.

:sarcasm:

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
All these deals happening with the amount of compromises from respective sides happening... I think Step is asking for $3.75M give or take and Glen is sticking to $2.8M give or take and they're both waiting for one side to say "Okay, we'll go up/down to $3.X" in order to jump in and say "Okay, if you're willing to go up or down to 3.X, then we'll counter propose that we go to $3.X +/- $200,000ish". Must be so exciting.

I can't imagine Step is asking for that much. His agent knows all the comparable numbers. There really isn't any way he can argue that Stepan should get more than Duchene got. The only comparable players who got 3.75 or more were Giroux and ROR. Giroux got 3.75 for 3 years. Stepan won't get that much on a 2 year deal. ROR got 5 per for 2 years, but that was because Feaster was an idiot.

I think the sides are closer than has been reported. This will end when Sather realizes that he has to pay Stepan at least a little more than Kadri got.

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
Now I understand Glen's reasoning, Steps wears #21, 2.1m it's a fair deal. Crosby wears #87 and got 8.7m in the past.

Steps is confused and thinks he gets 21m.

Player big P

no more striptease no more flashes
Feb 4, 2010
Prague

I hadn't considered this earlier, but I am wholeheartedly on board with paying Stepan whatever amount Stepan's mom wants.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
I can't imagine Step is asking for that much. His agent knows all the comparable numbers. There really isn't any way he can argue that Stepan should get more than Duchene got. The only comparable players who got 3.75 or more were Giroux and ROR. Giroux got 3.75 for 3 years. Stepan won't get that much on a 2 year deal. ROR got 5 per for 2 years, but that was because Feaster was an idiot.

I think the sides are closer than has been reported. This will end when Sather realizes that he has to pay Stepan at least a little more than Kadri got.

WHat concerns me is how vital Step is compared to all the other RFA. He's the most important out of all those RFA. We can't go without Stepan in TC/Pre. Everyone can go without their now signed RFA. Yet Step is the last to be signed. If they are $500,000 close, they can cut it at about +$200,000 on top of Glen's offer pretty sensibly but nothing has happened so I'm not sure.

Everyone is saying Step doesn't have leverage. He does. He's important. That's leverage.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Pat Leonard‏@PLeonardNYDN55s

Rick Nash says of Arniel's comment on putting him in front of net/in slot on power play: after last year's struggles, "we'll try anything"

That one slipped by me. I'm not a fan of Nash in front of the net on the power play. He does his best work at the right half boards.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
It takes a special kind of goalie to sit on the bench for dozens of games at a time and then hop onto the ice ready to go. Now all backups do this. Some are just better than others.

Hank has mentioned how amazing Biron is at this.

Allaire has as well.

I think Biron is safe. There's better ways of saving/gaining cap $pace IMO

azrok22

Mar 8, 2006

Rick Nash says of Arniel's comment on putting him in front of net/in slot on power play: after last year's struggles, "we'll try anything"

That one slipped by me. I'm not a fan of Nash in front of the net on the power play. He does his best work at the right half boards.

Especially when Callahan in front of the net is one of the few redeeming qualities of our PP in recent years.

Boom Boom Geoffrion*

I don't hate it. He's got the size. And the hands. Putting your best offensive player a foot out of the net. I just worry about the potential beating he might take over the long haul there.

I'd rather see him on the opposite flank ripping one-timers, although they are somewhat banned here in NY.

Long live Pat Verbeek! :bow:

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
If we're doing cuts between Monday and Tuesday games, i'd imagine we'll see a lot of guys on the edge of being cut on Monday. More starters on Tuesday.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Agreed on all counts. Penny wise and pound foolish

financially, it does make sense for glen to stick to a hard-line. 250k here and there adds up. particularly with the lower salary cap. it's kind of tough to compare previous contracts to the current situation. so, while i'd love to see step in the fold asap, i understand why it hasn't happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad