Post-Game Talk: Thats all she wrote.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Would love for a win but what's done is done.
Proud of the boys for a great season and almost came back in a series where they were pretty much outplayed.
Not going to point finger at anyone as the team lost as a team.
They won one more game in the playoffs than last year, and I think the kids actually learnt a lot more in this series than last year.
CONGRATULATIONS! Another Participation Trophy!

\WWWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Hockey Rush

Feb 22, 2018
I don't think a guy that had a sub .900 sv % should be 1st star. sorry.
This series would of been swept if it was for Anderson. I know your upset over the loss but this wasn't just his fault. The D didnt do their jobs nor the backchecking forwards. I blame Lou for not addressing your needs on D, not Anderson.

Reactions: tp71 and Daisy Jane

member 300185

His play was good for the most part. JVr was absent. Brown at this point is a grinder.

But it has to be for a good price. 3rd line center price.
No. Soft, lost a lot of his speed. Part of the old losing leafs. No heart kind of guy. NO THANK YOU!!

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
ya keeping JVR/Bozak/Leo might have got you a few more points in the regular season, but all three were pretty invisible in the post season, well done Leaf mgmt.

JVR had most goals in the post season. and regular season.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
EXCELENT POST. I know it sucks but it will come. We are missing a few pieces defensively

this was not a secret. Lou had two years to get pieces in, and it's all well and good to be all "well we're developing them" (yay Dermott) but this didn't come out of the sky. We were bad defensively before the rebuild we were bad defensively when we were in the basement we were bad defensively last year and we're bad defensively this year.

We had the assets to get defensemen, we have the assets to get defensemen (or even better defensive-minded forwards) so we can play a better defensive-cycle game which - i might point out helps generate offense.

Lou didn't do anything to address this except getting Hainsey who i am pretty sure is gonna pick out a coffin tomorrow because he is dead. I am not gonna ride on Z (he had a crap year but he had a tough off ice year from the word jump), he didn't get anyone (except for Plek who isn't gonna stay so basically he did nothing up the front either.

it's well and good to say the rebuild isn't over (and agian most great teams had good years, and 1st/2nd round exits, so that is fine) but that doesn't excuse the fact that there are a good chunk of people on this team who even though they are very talented - are not very smart. and those aren't the younger players.

Reactions: tp71

Legendary

Sep 1, 2016
Need to purge more of the Burke/Nonis era **** that's still on this roster... Bozak, JVR, and trade Gardiner.

Getting tired of watching a team that cannot defend for its life in critical situations.
Should of been done right after the collapse

Reactions: dsred

LeafsFan89

Jan 2, 2011
ya keeping JVR/Bozak/Leo might have got you a few more points in the regular season, but all three were pretty invisible in the post season, well done Leaf mgmt.

1) Hindsight. 2) JVR had more points than Matthews. 3) I found Bozak stepped up. He was hitting a lot and surprised me. 4) what playoff team sells at the deadline? What kind of message does that say to your young, mentally fragile team?

That's where I'm at too. I think everyone knew it was a glaring weakness and to me it was the one piece that showed it over the series. Lets hope they address it in the offseason.

It's a good time to be a Leaf fan despite the loss. We have some good times coming as much as it's hard to believe it sometimes.

I suspect if there was a deal out there that made sense, Lou would've made it. It's not NHL 19 where you can turn Buffalo into a cup contender in "one day" of trades.

Reactions: Blanche Blanche

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
It's an emotional time and lots of people are angry but everyone needs to remember a few things:

- Two years ago we were in the basement. The rebuild is NOT over no matter what the media tries to tell you. We have many, many, MANY better years ahead of us.

- The Big Three and young supporting cast are all 20 year old kids. They need good experience to grow and this is how you get it. We are NOT trading any of them nor should we. They are all studs in the making but if you thought they would turn into a bunch of Yzerman's and Sakic's in only their second season you were delusional.

- Freddie is the best goaltender we've had in a long time. He had a rough night but our D (especially Gardiner's awful performance) didn't do him any favors. He will be fine.

My main point: BE PATIENT.

We weren't going to win the Cup this year. We probably won't next year or even the year after so you'd better be ready to put up with some playoff pain. It's a marathon not a sprint.

I hope management sees the missing pieces. I anticipate next year will be a slight step back with new faces coming in, assuming they fill a lot of the pieces with Marlies. I would really love to see them take a shot at Tavares.

brandonlowi

Sep 20, 2015
June 2016 is when this ship really turned around. Not even 2 years yet, so lots of hope left for the future.

But, no doubt Matthews needs to be better. At least if he wants to be one the leagues super stars.

MagicalRazor

Oct 25, 2016
I ain't even mad. I'm more sad if anything that was a heart Breaker leading into the 3'd like IDK i dont understand why he relied so heavily on Garidner babs when the kids made mistakes he demoted them in the line up to play on the 3-4th lines . But gards did he not get the vibes through out the night that after the 3d time it was like okay maybe i should play him less . And than he gives a guy like dermott one chance and he burys a goal on the PP . like idk man im so tilted right now

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Speaking for myself. Not disappointed because we lost disappointed in how we loss. Wasn't looking for the kids to lead us, shouldn't be an expectation. Was looking for our vets too but only Marleau showed. JvR and Bozak where invisible this game but Bozak looked engaged in the series as a whole. Kadri and his red mist. Gardiner was a -5, that is not acceptable.

Yes we are a young team, but a young team that should be headed to the second round of the older players didn't disappear.

A 20 year old was our best player in Marner. That accolade should be going to Kadri, Reully or Andersen.

Team will be great in a few years.

What’s “red mist”?

Hockey Rush

Feb 22, 2018
i'd love to know how andersen is our #1 star and Marner is only a second honorary mention
Make your own list if you would like.

Anderson kept you in the series and saved your bacon to reach game 7. The D core and forwards failed to probably backcheck and protect him. Hardly his fault because the D in front of him was as stable as a wet noodle.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
This series would of been swept if it was for Anderson. I know your upset over the loss but this wasn't just his fault. The D didnt do their jobs nor the backchecking forwards. I blame Lou for not addressing your needs on D, not Anderson.

I know our D isn't good but Andy did not show up till game 5.

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
Andersen had such a bipolar series. AMAZING desperation saves, and far too many softies.

I'm not giving up on the guy because he has flashes of pure brilliance, but I'm really hoping Sparks pans out just in case...

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Need to purge more of the Burke/Nonis era **** that's still on this roster... Bozak, JVR, and trade Gardiner.

Getting tired of watching a team that cannot defend for its life in critical situations.

It was nauseating watching JFJ pump his fists in the Bruins management box. Like way to set up your future employers with their franchise goalie for a decade you scum bag.

Reactions: ObscureAlien

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
A great season for the team that ended in disappointment, again. Regardless, I think an instructive series for the team, more so than last year against Washington.
*The defense must be addressed. We need something, how we get it is the question, but this cannot continue. Our inability to clear our D zone is crushing and places far too much responsibility on Andersen.
*This should be the end of JVR, Bozak, Komarov and Polak.
*Skill is wonderful, but some nastiness on this team would be welcome.
*There is room for our kids to improve and perhaps we’ve expected too much from them too soon.
* We can compete with the best teams even when our best players are not playing to their abilities.

There’s certainly room for improvement, I’ll be curious to see how the organization addresses the needs which are very apparent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad