Post-Game Talk: Thats all she wrote.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Anderssen can't do the whole thing on his own. He wasn't perfect but the defense did him few favors by the 3rd period. Gardiner was ****ing HORRIBLE. It was an Andrej Sustr worthy night out of him

There's a massive astronomical sized gulf between "do the whole thing on his own" and "don't play like complete garbage".

He let in 2-3 goals that are ROUTINE SAVES for any NHL goalie. He was even worse than Gardiner tonight.

Reactions: dsred

Hockey Rush

Feb 22, 2018
3 Stars for the Maple Leafs in the 2018 Series vs the Boston Bruins

1st Star: Fredrick Anderson
2nd Star: Zach Hyman
3rd Star: Tomáš Plekanec

Honorable mentions: Ron Hainsey & Mitch Marner

FabledKnight

Feb 20, 2008
It's an emotional time and lots of people are angry but everyone needs to remember a few things:

- Two years ago we were in the basement. The rebuild is NOT over no matter what the media tries to tell you. We have many, many, MANY better years ahead of us.

- The Big Three and young supporting cast are all 20 year old kids. They need good experience to grow and this is how you get it. We are NOT trading any of them nor should we. They are all studs in the making but if you thought they would turn into a bunch of Yzerman's and Sakic's in only their second season you were delusional.

- Freddie is the best goaltender we've had in a long time. He had a rough night but our D (especially Gardiner's awful performance) didn't do him any favors. He will be fine.

My main point: BE PATIENT.

We weren't going to win the Cup this year. We probably won't next year or even the year after so you'd better be ready to put up with some playoff pain. It's a marathon not a sprint.

Speaking for myself. Not disappointed because we lost disappointed in how we loss. Wasn't looking for the kids to lead us, shouldn't be an expectation. Was looking for our vets too but only Marleau showed. JvR and Bozak where invisible this game but Bozak looked engaged in the series as a whole. Kadri and his red mist. Gardiner was a -5, that is not acceptable.

Yes we are a young team, but a young team that should be headed to the second round of the older players didn't disappear.

A 20 year old was our best player in Marner. That accolade should be going to Kadri, Reully or Andersen.

Team will be great in a few years.

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
Avs fan here just wanting to give your team props. Leafs played this series very well IMO but came just short against an outstanding Bruins team. Leafs have one of the very best young cores in the league though so you'll all be back next year.
yup and I thought Colorado played good against nashville, very good team you guys got.

Reactions: missionAvs

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
The worst part is now we're in this Washington Capitals territory of wondering if there's something fragile and broken with this group.

No............ that's not true. Ovechkin shows up. He fights, hits and scores

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
It's too early for the finger pointing.

One year, Brendan Shanahan was with the St.Loius blue I think, and it was a game 7 at Maple Leafs Gardens against Toronto.

They got smoked 7-0 or something like that, (maybe Curtis Joseph was in net too, forget).

In the papers the next day, the young Brendan Shanahan was quoted "We got killed!"

He still had a very long a successful career after that game.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
One thing regarding about the Matthews hate im seeing is that he's only played in 2 playoff series. One of which he dominated in and the other in which he was non-existent. I hope people don't think he's going to be the latter.

I don’t think he deserves any flack.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
You're right. The team D was terrible but that is also on coaching. They didn't strategize this very well clearly.

babcock got outcoached by Cassidy many times; Cassidy makes in game adjustment babcock doesn't.

also the elbow by krejci on Freddie was nice right? ref didn't see a problem with that even if he was standing right there

people here are willing to wash babcocks feet and drink that water; they are so blind that they cannot see he is extremely overrated. he is a good coach but very ovverated. babcock's ego let this team down by quite a bit;

I have no doubt tha babcock lobbied to not trade the likes of jvr/bozak/komarov/polak; looks nice now isn't it?

we could have had additional assets that we could have used in trades while still making the playoffs and seeing what we have in our young folk but no......

absolute f***ing lack of judgement and foresight with this management.

cant wait to hear how ACC tickets are going to be jacked up even more next season to protect people from scalpers

BS

Reactions: ToMaLe

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
We lost a game 7 with the Bruins almost getting double the amount of shot and 7 games. Team played well though. They deserve to be praised!

Absolutely they do. Instead it's going to be Andersen sucks, Gardiner sucks, Matthews sucks, Babcock sucks.

If it's not and I'm wrong I'll be a happy poster, but before this GDT thread was opened we already had a Jake Gardiner thread asking if he's played his last game in a Leafs jersey. I just don't have the energy to read through that shit, my energy and time can be better spent elsewhere.

It hurts for sure, but I think we are closer to greatness then many will give this team credit for. As I said earlier this thread the team needs works for sure, it's not perfect, it's a lot better than what some people are going to give them credit for.

At least one good thing will have come out of this series, people will finally lay off Hyman. He was a beast this series.

(Yes I said I was tapping out, but I felt this post needed a proper response.)

JerseyMike34

Dec 29, 2017
EXCELENT POST. I know it sucks but it will come. We are missing a few pieces defensively
I am least impressed with William Nylander, he looked scared. He didn't want anyone to be near him, and he looked like someone who would poop their pants in the corners. That's playoff hockey, he should know that. I don't care how awesome you are in the regular season, or how old you are, it's a very telling sign of a heart and character. It's almost time to put the microscope on him.

Reactions: dsred

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
You are not wrong.

However, if we were not winning the cup yet, and the rebuild is still going on, why hang on to aging useless assets and not trade them for prospects or young players?

That's troubling

Because the young core still needs support, as they are growing...unless we wanted to be the Oilers drafting #1 overall picks year after year and still didn't get anywhere.

Thissiteisgarbage

Oct 14, 2014
Andersen is the teams MVP. When. you rely on goaltending too much you don't win. Do you guys even listen to Babcock at all. What does he say? When your skill out weighs your work ethic your done. We were out worked EVERY TIME JVR WAS ON THE ICE. Too much to overcome having to hide this puke of player is what cost the Leafs BOTH PLAYOFFS WITH WASHINGTON AS WELL.

JVR shifts has killed this team and to further that is responsible for the Bozak hatred who gave EVERYTHING these 2 past playoffs. Bozak gets it JVR is the goat and management is at fault for not seeing it.
Sure, but JVR started the trend of chewing on your mouth guard. So there's that.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
Babcock had no choice but to roll with the D that he has. His only option was to hope Gardiner figured it out and he just didn’t do that.

That being said, I won’t forgive Babcock for not making adjustments offensively when it was clearly needed. He should have put Nylander back up with Matthews, it was obvious. Those two clearly have chemistry and were one of the most lethal duos in the league. He gave up on them after the first two games where everyone was bad.

Reactions: brandonlowi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad