Post-Game Talk: Thats all she wrote.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

cmorly

Oct 14, 2010
Toronto, Ont
Always sucks to lose that way.

Lets face it, they weren't going to win the Cup this year. The leafs aren't very good defensively. They aren't good at holding leads. When was the last time you have felt comfortable with a Leaf lead in the 3rd period, or going into the 3rd period? I knew they wouldn't be able to lock it down, I was just hoping they would be able to out-score Boston in the 3rd.

I think when the dust settles this will be a blessing in disguise. Lou and Shanny now know (if they didn't before) that we are in desperate need of better defenders. Freddy really needed to have those first 2 goals in the 3rd period, but I wouldn't put the blame on him for the loss. He's the reason we were even playing in a game 7.

We also made it to game 7 with Matthews and Nylander being pretty much invisible all series. Hopefully they learned a few things (see Marner)

I could go on and on, but what's the point.

The future is bright.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
One thing regarding about the Matthews hate im seeing is that he's only played in 2 playoff series. One of which he dominated in and the other in which he was non-existent. I hope people don't think he's going to be the latter.
Matthews is still hurt. It's obvious.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
This series would of been swept if it was for Anderson. I know your upset over the loss but this wasn't just his fault. The D didnt do their jobs nor the backchecking forwards. I blame Lou for not addressing your needs on D, not Anderson.

thank you.
(I mean. Andersen let in two really bad goals in tonight. and he will get razzed, deservedly so, but i said it during the game, and I am gonna say it now, those shouldn't even have been attempts. Jake boxes him out properly, not an attempt, no goal to save).

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
Well, that was an awful game 7. Terrible team effort with a few awful standouts.

- This was an extremely disappointing series for Matthews. 2 points in 7 games is unacceptable for your number 1 center. I don't think he was terrible tonight, just meh. He had a good first period and then faded from there. With that said, he's still an elite number 1 center and I'm sure his disappointing series will motivate him to take his game to another level. Not worried about him at all.

- Freddy was pretty terrible. He made some great saves, but also let in quite a few softies. The defence in front of him wasn't great, but you can't allow 6 goals in a game 7.

- Gardiner had one of the worst game 7s in history. I've defended him a lot over the years, but wow, was he ever awful. Giveaway machine today and the most infuriating part is, he had so much time to make a clean play.

Still, I'm proud of the boys. It takes a lot of heart (and skill) to come back from a 3-1 deficit and force a game 7. They've might've come up short tonight, but we still have one of the brightest futures in the league.

Also, I hope the system is changed for next season. We rely way too much on the stretch pass (most teams do of course, but we seem to be by far the most reliant).

Lastly, shoutout to Marner. He was our MVP this series and made all the doubters look like fools. He's going to be an elite player.

kesleaf

Mar 3, 2011
I'm 100% positive that Matthews was playing injured - that shoulder. Night and day difference between his play before the injury.

Hopefully this off season will do him good in terms of rehab and he's back to 100% next season.

Oh and for the guys complaining, remind me again how well CROSBY and OVECHKIN did in their first 3 playoffs seasons. Yeah, thats what I thought - you can go look up the stats. Bob Mac or whoever it was on TSN 1050 or 590 was discussing this the other day.

Let the kids learn and grow.

Super happy about this season and the series. They fought hard to come back from a 3-1 series deficit against a perennial cup contender.

And Marner is a f***ing beast. Holy shit. This guy will be a serious force for many, many years.

Reactions: rosenqvist

I Believe

Mar 5, 2011
Toronto
I'm over it. We'll be back in the playoffs next year.

Team defence is definitely our weakness and we got exposed.

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
I imagine his shoulder injury was a big factor. It will be interesting to hear what comes out of the media now that the season is done.

First play of the game he had that opportunity..
Last year he would have ripped that shot...this time he took a very average one......this is not the same player.....
It doesn't seem to be his back cause his skating was fine..but his shot was gone..

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Need to purge more of the Burke/Nonis era **** that's still on this roster... Bozak, JVR, and trade Gardiner.

Getting tired of watching a team that cannot defend for its life in critical situations.

You forgot one ;)

danron1376

Jan 3, 2011
leafs had no structured play for breakout; there was hail mary stretch passes all through out the series without any change; while bruins gained controlled zone entries without any stupid stretch passes and bruins had set breakouts

prime Patty Roy would fail in front of leafs defense
yeah, the difference in breakouts between the two teams was astounding. it's like we are an ahl team with some guys that can finish (eg marleau)

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
McDonagh sure would have helped.

But I'm sure the Leafs have something better than that planned, which is why they didn't make the deal, instead letting a rival Eastern contender that was already better on defence get him...right?

Mkdaman1818

Jun 29, 2013
Andersen is 28 (going on 29), but he has to be better. The 5-4 goal seemed really soft and Boston really honed in on his weakness tracking pucks through traffic. Another step forward needs to be taken there.

That being said, our defense was awful. The 6-4 goal was a disaster, as was the 3-2 goal (and countless others this series). Lots of education and roster management needed there.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
A couple things I learned this playoffs:
- Dermott has made Gardiner expendable
- Hyman does not have the offensive game to justify his place in the top six moving forward
- Losing JVR this off-season is going to make the Left Wing an organizational weakness
- we desperately need a top four right handed dman and another top six left winger that brings size and skill both very hard to find
- at times we looked slow and weak. Teams that are physical and can skate will give us nightmares with this current team and that’s who you play in playoffs

The leafs need more toughness on the wing and more intelligence on D.

Adding two or three pieces would make a huge difference.

Hockey Rush

Feb 22, 2018
thank you.
(I mean. Andersen let in two really bad goals in tonight. and he will get razzed, deservedly so, but i said it during the game, and I am gonna say it now, those shouldn't even have been attempts. Jake boxes him out properly, not an attempt, no goal to save).
I am a Canucks fan. I have no bias here. Except maybe wanting Tanev moved to Toronto but I'm just soaking it in from a distance. Once things settle and emotions are resolved you guys will find out whats right. A D man would have helped whether that be Tanev, Green, or some other older d man with upside who could help stabilize the load and help insulate the kids. Zaitsev cost you guys like 2 games early on. He was on the ice for nearly every goal against.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Fantastic: Marner
Good: Hyman, Rielly, Kadri, Kapanen, Johnsson, Dermott, Marleau, Brown, Plekanec
Neutral: Matthews, Nylander, Hainsey, Zaitsev, Polak
Bad: Andersen, Komarov

i'm not locked into these but that's how it seems to me

Hockey Rush

Feb 22, 2018
Andersen is 28 (going on 29), but he has to be better. The 5-4 goal seemed really soft and Boston really honed in on his weakness tracking pucks through traffic. Another step forward needs to be taken there.

That being said, our defense was awful. The 6-4 goal was a disaster, as was the 3-2 goal (and countless others this series). Lots of education and roster management needed there.
Sparks is looking insane in the AHL. He has been outshining our stud goalie of the future Thatcher Demko. Kinda of looks like the LA- Vegas series lol. They both have very high save percentages.

HockeyAndWings

Dec 18, 2006
Gardiner needs to go, and Andersen doesn't look like the solution, he's far too inconsistent and gives up too many soft goals. You go with Andersen, until you can find a better goalie.

Want to see some changes, need players that aren't soft, have compete, more mobile defensemen that are able to play a more physical game, and are smart.

Reactions: ToMaLe and dsred

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad