Confirmed with Link: Taylor Hall Acquired for Adam Larsson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
It's a huge gamble. Our team strength was our growing young defense, and now we've just gutted the biggest part of that defense. Granted, Hall is huge, he's a terrific addition, but Larsson is a top-pairing defenseman with tons of room to grow.

I don't know how I feel. I should be happy, according to the whole rest of the hockey world, but I'm not convinced yet. Really, I won't know how to feel until I see if we add anyone else on defense through trade or free agency to help fill Larsson's vacancy, we see how Severson develops, and we see how our other defense prospects - namely Santini, who I imagine is the reason that Shero felt he could trade Larsson - develop this year.

On pure value alone, we won this trade.

I'm just scared of the massive void this leaves on our defense. It is not even more important for us to sign a big-time free agent defender -- Demers would be the obvious candidate here.

The funniest thing is this comes close to fixing our offensive problems entirely. We have a legitimate first line player which is exactly what he needs. If Hall can lift up Henrique even more, our first line woes are gone. Everyone will slot where they should and the team will be that much better off.

It's just that right now, we are banking on Severson to relive that early 2014-15 magic. I think he can do it, but that's still a massive risk to take. I suppose Shero/Castron feel that Santini will eventually develop enough to replace the shutdown void on the right side, but again, a massive risk to take.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
If you're upset just imagine "Hall over Zacha, shoots scores!!!" or "Henrique to Hall, he dekes around the goalie and scores!!"

That made me happy at least

McDynasty

Nov 11, 2013
I LOVE Lars, but this is a trade we had to make. You can't pass on Lars when we didn't have to add anything else.

Hall scored 65 points this past season and he is only 24. He has a 80 point season under his belt.

This is game breaking talent that we need

He is going to change the dynamic of your offense, he is a driver and likes carrying the puck. I'm really going to miss him.

Group Chat Legend*

Now we have to give up our future pieces for middling defenseman.

BUT HEY WE CAN SCORE NOW

Just sad.

Devilcake

Jul 19, 2011
Sweden
I probably should feel happy but i just got à big lump in My belly. I was looking forward to ser Larsson anchor tjis defensefor years. But damn we just got Hall. Hopefully this Will work out for Both teams. We need to sign demers. Now we look a bit thin on defense, hope tjis trade Will grow on me.....at least shero is Making some bold moves

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I think Santini is more the guy we need to "replace" Larsson than Severson. He just fits the Larsson mold better than Severson in terms of style.
And this is why I thought from a Devil's perspective, Lar's was a better trading piece the Sev's was.

Moreso given Shero's want of good skating d-men.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
I guess this was the "something big about to go down" that Devils Dominion foreshadowed last week...

some fairly credible Oilers-related guys said this has been roughly 16 months on the making

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Edmonton
Wow you guys absolutely hosed us... Hall us a terrific player, im so disappointed I can't even put it into words

liquid1988

Oct 14, 2013
Exit 88 GSPW
Just got in from work to come home to this news? Who the hell is going to replace Larsson on the god damn top paired blue line?!?!?! IMO this is a TERRIBLE trade....1 step forwards, 2 steps back.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
It's a huge gamble. Our team strength was our growing young defense, and now we've just gutted the biggest part of that defense. Granted, Hall is huge, he's a terrific addition, but Larsson is a top-pairing defenseman with tons of room to grow.

I don't know how I feel. I should be happy, according to the whole rest of the hockey world, but I'm not convinced yet. Really, I won't know how to feel until I see if we add anyone else on defense through trade or free agency to help fill Larsson's vacancy, we see how Severson develops, and we see how our other defense prospects - namely Santini, who I imagine is the reason that Shero felt he could trade Larsson - develop this year.

I think your logic is fine, but there are things to consider that should ease you a bit:

- you acquired a top five winger who produces on his own... He is no anomaly, he isn't a question mark, and he comes in at an area of need

- you have the best goalie in the league

- correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Greene slide in ahead of Lars anyway? Then with Severson rising and Santini in the pipe, you managed to acquire a sure fire top echelon elite winger without giving up your top prospect or top player at a position on your NHL team...

I'm in NJ territory, and have been my whole life. This beats any acquisition I can remember up front, including Kovy

Just Win

Nov 3, 2008
Stuttgart
It's more that i'm unhappy about just how bad our defense is going to be now.

Still got Schneider in net and Greene anchoring that D. We will still have a top 10 D next season assuming we sign one of the better FA dman. And we have this Santini guy who will be pretty damn good in a similar role as Larsson in a couple of seasons.

Comparison Ford

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2008
LA
This is such a good trade for both sides

Edmonton might've "lost" the trade, but now that they have Larsson they will finally be able to have a steady #1 defenseman.

For obvious reasons, I absolutely love this for NJ as well.

NiedsKicks

Jun 24, 2016
New Jersey
I love this deal. We needed a goal scorer SO DAMN BAD and we got a 24 yo winger similar to Parise. I loved Larsson but this is a deal you MUST make if you're the GM. Good that he has chemistry with Henny already too. Only problem is our defense..that must be addressed before the season starts for sure.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Now we have to give up our future pieces for middling defenseman.

BUT HEY WE CAN SCORE NOW

Just sad.

Hall is one year older then Larsson. I think he makes us a better team, but I'm still not sure Shero is looking to go all in this season in order to make the playoffs. Even after this deal this might be still looked at as a rebuilding/progression year.

I'm def thinking Santini is on the opening night lineup, and he plays that Lar's role, maybe/probably not as good right off the bat, but I don't expect major dropoff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad