Confirmed with Link: Tavares to Toronto (7 years, $11M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
who do you guys want to see play on Tavares' wings? I'd go with Johnsson and Nylander myself. Nylander is a zone-entry wizard which I think is one of the less impressive parts of Tavares' game, so they'd mesh well with that. he's also great at making plays while Tavares can go to the net. Johnsson is a speed demon who can do pretty much anything Tavares needs, and is arguably our most talented LWer

I think Nylander is a good choice, but I've been dreaming about Marner for awhile now so I'd go with Marner and AJ. IMO Tavares is such a smart player that he will be able to gel with Mitch's somewhat unpredictable creativity quite well. Not to mention the threat of Tavares will open up much more space for Mitch to work with the puck.

Like you I love AJ's quickness and smarts around the net to be a good mix with both guys.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Reactions: Superstar

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
who do you guys want to see play on Tavares' wings? I'd go with Johnsson and Nylander myself. Nylander is a zone-entry wizard which I think is one of the less impressive parts of Tavares' game, so they'd mesh well with that. he's also great at making plays while Tavares can go to the net. Johnsson is a speed demon who can do pretty much anything Tavares needs, and is arguably our most talented LWer

Same, I want to see Johnnson with Tavares. Hyman should be with Kadri.

Tavares can make his wingers a lot better if they just know how to shoot. Andreas has skills to be a 50-60 point player with Tavares.

I think the Leafs will want to sign Johnsson to a Hyman like contract this offseason.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I think Nylander is a good choice, but I've been dreaming about Marner for awhile now so I'd go with Marner and AJ. IMO Tavares is such a smart player that he will be able to gel with Mitch's somewhat unpredictable creativity quite well. Not to mention the threat of Tavares will open up much more space for Mitch to work with the puck.

Like you I love AJ's quickness and smarts around the net to be a good mix with both guys.
yeah it's pretty nice to think about. I remember when Leafs fans all wanted a center for Kessel and wingers for Sundin. now we have Tavares and Matthews, and Marner and Nylander to go with them. it's great. and casually a 30 goal centerman behind them too

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Same, I want to see Johnnson with Tavares. Hyman should be with Kadri.

Tavares can make his wingers a lot better if they just know how to shoot. Andreas has skills to be a 50-60 point player with Tavares.

I think the Leafs will want to sign Johnsson to a Hyman like contract this offseason.

I like this combo too ... Put Kappy on the right side for his dangerous speed, and you have a strong defensive third line with some offensive threats.

Reactions: saffronleaf

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
John Tavares talks about how he knows the spotlight will be on him playing for the Toronto Maple Leafs and what it would mean to lift the Stanley Cup.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
So kind of everyone to be so concerned about our cap situation.
Andrew Walker is the dumbest radio personality on Toronto radio, bar none.

I cringe when I accidentally turn on the station to his morning show and hear his voice spewing his moronic opinions and idiotic analogies.

Somehow I trust Dubas and his team of cap geeks a little more than I trust Walker when it comes to the leafs salary structure.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
yeah it's pretty nice to think about. I remember when Leafs fans all wanted a center for Kessel and wingers for Sundin. now we have Tavares and Matthews, and Marner and Nylander to go with them. it's great. and casually a 30 goal centerman behind them too

Casually...I like how you put that, LOL...grinning end to end that we have a 30 goal centre for our 3rd line.

BigBlu

Oct 15, 2013
first question smh .. what a moron .. basically islanders hf board

JT is a dude. He didnt have to do this ocnference call with islanders media

FUMSG. Posing as an advocate for your intrastate rival, the NYI.

Last edited:

Goonface2k14

Nov 25, 2009
Maple Leaf Gardens
This Habs fan is pissed lol.

But as a London Knights season tic holder since 1999 glad to see Kadri/Marner/Tavares in one spot on a team that should make noise for years to come.
The LK influence in TO has been strong as of late ;)

Enjoy the ride.

Hey thanks, Habs fan. Classy comments.

Enjoy the return of the turtleneck show!

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
FUMSG. Posing as an advocate for your interstate rival, the NYI.

I heard this interview a couple of days ago. Tavares was really shaken up and emotional at a point during the interview that you could tell he was crying. He really cared a whole lot for that franchise and those fans - they helped shaped him into the man he is.

I thought a bit about his comments of how the Islanders are in great hands with Lou, and I wondered if the Isles didn't do a last minute revamp of their front office by hiring Lou, then Lou hiring Trotz, and the successful draft they had under Lou, the plan laid out to him, that whether Tavares would have taken the matter into his own hands again by going back to the Isles to try to win...as stubborn as that sounds, he's just that kind of person...determined and driven. He was obviously comforted by the short turnaround by the Isles' ownership in getting the matter set straight with the direction they were going by hiring Lou, and with the unique opportunity presented by the Leafs, that he could simply let go and come home.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Wow. Just took a look at the Bruins board talking about the Tavares signing. People REALLY hate that we got JT lmao, so much saltiness
I like this combo too ... Put Kappy on the right side for his dangerous speed, and you have a strong defensive third line with some offensive threats.
I think Hyman needs to be put on the right wing, he works so much better in the OZ on that side. And considering Nylander publicly preferred LW before Babcock came in, this is what I'd run:

Marleau-Matthews-Marner
Nylander-Tavares-Kapanen
Johnsson-Kadri-Hyman

Ugh.. drooooool

NoTouchIcing

Feb 3, 2010
Guelph, ON
Andrew Walker is the dumbest radio personality on Toronto radio, bar none.

I cringe when I accidentally turn on the station to his morning show and hear his voice spewing his moronic opinions and idiotic analogies.

Somehow I trust Dubas and his team of cap geeks a little more than I trust Walker when it comes to the leafs salary structure.
Andrew Walker is on Vancouver radio now.
Perhaps you mean either Greg Brady or Elliot Price.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
Not sure if this has been posted, but an interview with JT and MSG Network.

John is super emotional, almost crying. Shows how difficult it was for him to leave.

Reactions: saffronleaf

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Wow. Just took a look at the Bruins board talking about the Tavares signing. People REALLY hate that we got JT lmao, so much saltiness
I think Hyman needs to be put on the right wing, he works so much better in the OZ on that side. And considering Nylander publicly preferred LW before Babcock came in, this is what I'd run:

Marleau-Matthews-Marner
Nylander-Tavares-Kapanen
Johnsson-Kadri-Hyman

Ugh.. drooooool

They would have to double-shift a 41 year old Chara to guard both Matthews and Tavares. :laugh:

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I’m sorry but LOL @ some Isles fans. They think Tavares will not play the game against the Isles in NY because he’s scared. He will ask Babcock to be scratched lol.

No, the opposite will happen. Tavares will go to Babcock’s office and be like: Babs, this is the worst D and team in the game right now. Play me for 25 mins.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I’m sorry but LOL @ some Isles fans. They think Tavares will not play the game against the Isles in NY because he’s scared. He will ask Babcock to be scratched lol.

No, the opposite will happen. Tavares will go to Babcock’s office and be like: Babs, this is the worst D and team in the game right now. Play me for 25 mins.

Pathetic response form the islander fans. No issue being upset but the responses in there really emphasises the small minded small market syndrome going on. There is a "I hate john Tavares" thread that is so stupidly sad its embarrassing. I get we would be pissed if Matthews left but im fairly confident we wouldn't get a "we hate Matthews" thread, maybe one clown would start it but it would be locked pretty soon after.

What they need is "we hate management and owners" thread its their fault for never coming close to supporting JT in his 9 years there. How can you blame him for leaving when they have shown him absolutely nothing to suggest they are serious about winning

Reactions: IBeL34f
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad