Confirmed with Link: Tavares to Toronto (7 years, $11M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
John Tavares on the Toronto Maple Leafs’ pitch: “Kyle [Dubas] – It was amazing how he kind of carried himself and delivered his message and vision on why I would be a good fit here as a hockey player”

John Tavares on the Toronto Maple Leafs' pitch: "Kyle [Dubas] - It was amazing how he kind of carried himself and delivered his message and vision on why I would be a good fit here as a hockey player" | Maple Leafs Hotstove

Good read
Thanks for posting, really good read - He's a well-spoken guy, can't wait to see him take the ice in the blue and white.
Well now, the conspiracy theorist in me finds this post from the Leafs official Twitter a little "disturbing". Seems one person is missing from this wallpaper extravaganza.
William Nylander is not currently under contract with the Toronto Maple Leafs - I think we hear and see a lot more about him from the organization once he's re-signed with us.

Darth Menace

Apr 14, 2016
One guy over there is having a hard time refraining from burning his own son's Tavares jersey while they're at summer camp... That's some next level ****.
he can go ahead and be a psycho if he wants. On July 2 I had already ordered my chinese knock off Tavares jersey, so I will make up for it. What an exciting time to be a Leafs fan.

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
I know its uncommon in hockey for star players to leave the franchise that drafted them, but I certainly don't think a player 'owes' it to that franchise that regardless of how they feel they should stay with that franchise forever. What kind of nonsense is that, extremely old school thinking. I get that players owe a lot to the franchise that drafted and developed them. But there is a reason why the process is such that, they get drafted, sign entry level deals, become RFAs, signed as UFA's until such time that their contracts expire. And that last part is the what amazes me, once an individual becomes a UFA, well their welcome to do whatever the heck they want. Tavares gave everything to the Isles for 9 years, now if he wants to move on, I can understand disappointment from fans, but to be angry and burn his jersey, talk about massive overreaction and lack of class.

Reactions: draeko17

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I know its uncommon in hockey for star players to leave the franchise that drafted them, but I certainly don't think a player 'owes' it to that franchise that regardless of how they feel they should stay with that franchise forever. What kind of nonsense is that, extremely old school thinking. I get that players owe a lot to the franchise that drafted and developed them. But there is a reason why the process is such that, they get drafted, sign entry level deals, become RFAs, signed as UFA's until such time that their contracts expire. And that last part is the what amazes me, once an individual becomes a UFA, well their welcome to do whatever the heck they want. Tavares gave everything to the Isles for 9 years, now if he wants to move on, I can understand disappointment from fans, but to be angry and burn his jersey, talk about massive overreaction and lack of class.

Yeah there seems to be the sentiment that he should have known he wasn't going to re-sign with the Isles before he actually did. Like he knew he wasn't going to re-sign at the trade deadline, but chose to lead the club and the fans on. That makes zero sense, from his perspective. The problem is, what can a club do if a guy wants to kick tires but still probably wants to come back? Tampa was lucky because the Leafs were the worst team in the league when Stammer was up, where as the Bolts were a stacked club. The safest asset management would have been to deal him at the deadline anyways, and then try too woo him back, but there was a risk of severing or at least weakening the home club connection for the NYI. Most didn't expect him to move either. The team took a calculated risk and they were wrong. A no win situation when you let your best player get to UFA status.

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
Yeah there seems to be the sentiment that he should have known he wasn't going to re-sign with the Isles before he actually did. Like he knew he wasn't going to re-sign at the trade deadline, but chose to lead the club and the fans on. That makes zero sense, from his perspective. The problem is, what can a club do if a guy wants to kick tires but still probably wants to come back? Tampa was lucky because the Leafs were the worst team in the league when Stammer was up, where as the Bolts were a stacked club. The safest asset management would have been to deal him at the deadline anyways, and then try too woo him back, but there was a risk of severing or at least weakening the home club connection for the NYI. Most didn't expect him to move either. The team took a calculated risk and they were wrong. A no win situation when you let your best player get to UFA status.

See that right there is fans or media making up stories because their angry. If you actually listen to the guy, you could tell he really had no idea of what he was going to do. The extreme overeaction of anger and violent behaviour makes zero sense. Talk about lack of class, seems like cavemen reactions. Now I'm not saying everyone there, but certainly a large enough contigent behaving that way is scary. If I were JT next time I go to NYC I would be traveling with bodyguards.

And I agree with you when a player is unsure going into his UFA year, its a tough situation for the franchise, but again thats unfortunately where his mindset was and you have to decide either you're taking the risk of trading him or not. Thats not on the player.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Well now, the conspiracy theorist in me finds this post from the Leafs official Twitter a little "disturbing". Seems one person is missing from this wallpaper extravaganza.
More than one, 23 players on the roster.

Reactions: Zizzzzy

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Was there anybody in particular that helped influence you to make the decision to come home to Toronto?

Tavares: Mostly, I think the conversations I had with Leafs management and just their belief in how I could fit here and just that message.
@The CyNick apparently Dubas had quite the influence of Tavares.

John Tavares on the Toronto Maple Leafs' pitch: "Kyle [Dubas] - It was amazing how he kind of carried himself and delivered his message and vision on why I would be a good fit here as a hockey player" | Maple Leafs Hotstove

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

umm yup

don't need a conspiracy here, to see what going on here.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

pfft, that's not a legit source for him. A legit source is only his own thoughts and any negative angle he can find. Haha satlming thinking John Tavares is an actual legit source what were you thinking

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
pfft, that's not a legit source for him. A legit source is only his own thoughts and any negative angle he can find. Haha satlming thinking John Tavares is an actual legit source what were you thinking
I am fool :(
But I am always entertained by how he spins things. It's almost the HF version of Alice in wonderland

Reactions: Walshy7

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Tavares might be a 50/50 and 100 points with Marner and Hyman. Marner might Hyman a better scorer i believe too.

Toronto Maple Leafs Stats Analysis: How Good Is John Tavares

It will be the best winger he has ever played with and they canrock defensively also.

Thats going to be a handful of a line. No Hyman should not be that highbin the line up but his forcheck and ability to chase down pucks and hain possession for his hoys is second to mone on our team.

Hyman should practice tipping pucks and net front positioning 24/7 for awhile here. Thats his bread and butter if he can add that skill to his game.

I am calling Grundstrom to challenge for that Hyman spot in camp. If he cones in stronger and plays his game theough camp he will force a look.

Anyways i say Grundstrom stealsva roster spot out of camp!

Grundstrom/ Tavares/ Marner !!!!

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I can't remember if it was on the Islanders' Board, or where it was, but I'd read that Tavares said he wouldn't be interested in coming back to New York if the Islanders traded him mid-season.

Sign an extension, or we're trading you. If the player isn't willing to sign an extension, it's your job to ship them out, or risk losing them for nothing. They had 9 years to build a real team around JT and they failed -
2bY9hT4.jpg

exactly.

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
Tavares might be a 50/50 and 100 points with Marner and Hyman. Marner might Hyman a better scorer i believe too.

Toronto Maple Leafs Stats Analysis: How Good Is John Tavares

It will be the best winger he has ever played with and they canrock defensively also.

Thats going to be a handful of a line. No Hyman should not be that highbin the line up but his forcheck and ability to chase down pucks and hain possession for his hoys is second to mone on our team.

Hyman should practice tipping pucks and net front positioning 24/7 for awhile here. Thats his bread and butter if he can add that skill to his game.

I am calling Grundstrom to challenge for that Hyman spot in camp. If he cones in stronger and plays his game theough camp he will force a look.

Anyways i say Grundstrom stealsva roster spot out of camp!

Grundstrom/ Tavares/ Marner !!!!
I don’t know what others are planning but knowing for a fact that Marner will be his wing man means I’m taking Marner super early. Marner is easily the best playmaker JTs had his entire career and I see an easy 20/65/85 from him

Reactions: Wafflewhipper
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad