Confirmed with Link: Tavares to Toronto (7 years, $11M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009

Notice I never said Dubas had zero impact. He seems professional enough. I'm sure he did come off in a positive manner to JT. No dispute there from me.

The question is was Dubas a deciding factor. Given that it was between the Isles and the Leafs and JT's announcement on twitter mainly talked to living a boyhood dream (bedsheet photo to boot). I would say the Dubas impact somewhere between zero and minimal. The impact was the Maple Leafs crest. Which has nothing to do with Shanny, Babs, Waldo, Mr Tannenbaum, etc. They are just benefiting from that iconic symbol.

Put another way. If Dubas was GM of San Jose or Boston or Tampa or Dallas, you think JT would be wearing one of their sweaters on opening night in October? The answer is hell no.

I get that you feel the need to grasp at straws to quickly prove that that you guys have been drinking the right koolaid all along, but let's wait till he actually makes a good hockey trade or drafts a stud player. When he does those things I'll be first to admit he's done a great job. Let's see how long it takes you guys to admit the opposite of he makes bad moves.

So far what I can say is he's the luckiest GM maybe in the history of the game to walk into this situation. Good for him for putting himself in this position.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
pfft, that's not a legit source for him. A legit source is only his own thoughts and any negative angle he can find. Haha satlming thinking John Tavares is an actual legit source what were you thinking

This seems like a baiting type response.

Where's my friend Bert?

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
where is a mod because my garbage posts aren't universally liked :'(

Its an inside joke.

I actually hate being censored. Say what you like to me.

Have you ever heard my position on how I value the opinions of people on here? Let's just say it's not very flattering.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
haha he spun it, he actually spun it.

im sorry I have to applaud this one.
Notice I never said Dubas had zero impact. He seems professional enough. I'm sure he did come off in a positive manner to JT. No dispute there from me.

The question is was Dubas a deciding factor. Given that it was between the Isles and the Leafs and JT's announcement on twitter mainly talked to living a boyhood dream (bedsheet photo to boot). I would say the Dubas impact somewhere between zero and minimal. The impact was the Maple Leafs crest. Which has nothing to do with Shanny, Babs, Waldo, Mr Tannenbaum, etc. They are just benefiting from that iconic symbol.

Put another way. If Dubas was GM of San Jose or Boston or Tampa or Dallas, you think JT would be wearing one of their sweaters on opening night in October? The answer is hell no.

I get that you feel the need to grasp at straws to quickly prove that that you guys have been drinking the right koolaid all along, but let's wait till he actually makes a good hockey trade or drafts a stud player. When he does those things I'll be first to admit he's done a great job. Let's see how long it takes you guys to admit the opposite of he makes bad moves.

So far what I can say is he's the luckiest GM maybe in the history of the game to walk into this situation. Good for him for putting himself in this position.
You're not far off.
For me Shanahan gets the lions share of the credit.
Sure Tavares came for the crest on the front but if this Team was still a train wreak, IMO he goes elsewhere.

Silver91

Agent 0091
May 27, 2007
Unknown
I would say the Dubas impact somewhere between zero and minimal. The impact was the Maple Leafs crest.

Obviously that played a part. His nostalgia for the team was always going to be part of the sell.

However, Dubas' plan that was laid out for JT is also a big part of why he came here. Yes, the players are already here, but knowing how the team will keep everyone together, and stay competitive going forward, that was the bigger reason why JT came here. I think if you picked up the Leafs, moved them to Houston with the same staff members and facilities, and the city was the only difference, I still think he makes the move, as we have a lot to offer, besides being Toronto. He very seriously considered San Jose as well, and he has zero ties to California...

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Its an inside joke.

I actually hate being censored. Say what you like to me.

Have you ever heard my position on how I value the opinions of people on here? Let's just say it's not very flattering.

oh I know that. Of course its not good. Delusions of grandeur usually come with the refusal to believe anyone but your opinions are right

Reactions: Liminality

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other

No you said he had very little influence yet Tavares himself said Dubas in particular really struck him.
But keep playing your shtick.

Reactions: blueberrie

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
You're not far off.
Sure Tavares came for the crest on the front but if this Team was still a train wreak, IMO he goes elsewhere.

I will say he did reference the Marlies success as part of his decision. Of course this then brings up the Dubas impact on the Marlies debate. Even though I don't feel it's huge, at least you can say he maybe had a 10% impact on that team or something (don't even think it's that high but for argument sake let's go with it).

So then was Marlies success 10% of his overall decision? Again, I doubt it was that high. But let's say it was. That puts Dubas at 1% impact. But again, put him in Tampa and I don't think JT is riding with Stamkos in Florida.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
You're not far off.
Agreed but I think your selling Dubas short. I think the whole management team wowed Tavares but in his interview Tavares seemed to highlight Dubas a lot

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Agreed but I think your selling Dubas short. I think the whole management team wowed Tavares but in his interview Tavares seemed to highlight Dubas a lot

Notice he didn't post a picture of him in bed with a photo of him with the Leafs management group as a 27 year old. It was a pic of him as a kid with Leafs sheets and a caption taking about a boyhood dream.

Somehow that's all Dubas broooos

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Notice he didn't post a picture of him in bed with a photo of him with the Leafs management group as a 27 year old. It was a pic of him as a kid with Leafs sheets and a caption taking about a boyhood dream.

Lol. So he posted a picture of him after Dubas spoke to him. Tavares even said Dubas reminded him of his childhood dreams. So it seems more likely he posted the pic because Dubas refreshed the fire to Tavares.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Lol. So he posted a picture of him after Dubas spoke to him. Tavares even said Dubas reminded him of his childhood dreams. So it seems more likely he posted the pic because Dubas refreshed the fire to Tavares.

Your position is he forgot he used to love the Leafs as a kid or that the Leafs existed at all?

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Looks like Tavares is getting the Sundin treatment by some of the deep thinking Islander fans.
Wonder if they are just as wrong as some Leaf fans were/are?

I'm not sure the situations are remotely the same. The Leafs gave Sundin a good enough team to play deep into the Playoffs 6 straight years. Did the Isles do the same for Tavares? Not remotely. The management of the Isles repeatedly failed and lied to Tavares all the way to the end about giving him a team that could succeed. And the Leafs made no bones about rebuilding when Sundin refused the deadline trade. Can you say the same thing regarding the Tavares situation? I think Leaf fans had much more cause to be upset with Sundin than the Isle fans should be at Tavares response to the Isle front office clown show.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

It’s almost as if it’s not a zero sum issue and multiple factors went into Tavares’ decision....

But please, keep pretending that the Gm of the team has next to no impact on the signing.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Yeah, not trying to diminish Dubas' effort whatever it may have been.
Bottom line he is the GM that signed him but I do agree with CyNick that JT signed with the Leafs not Dubas.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Yeah, not trying to diminish Dubas' effort whatever it may have been.
Bottom line he is the GM that signed him but I do agree with CyNick that JT signed with the Leafs not Dubas.
I also agree he signed with the leafs. That's never been the question though. Cynick is on about Dubas virtually did nothing and had very little if any impact on Tavares' decision.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I'm not sure the situations are remotely the same. The Leafs gave Sundin a good enough team to play deep into the Playoffs 6 straight years. Did the Isles do the same for Tavares? Not remotely. The management of the Isles repeatedly failed and lied to Tavares all the way to the end about giving him a team that could succeed. And the Leafs made no bones about rebuilding when Sundin refused the deadline trade. Can you say the same thing regarding the Tavares situation? I think Leaf fans had much more cause to be upset with Sundin than the Isle fans should be at Tavares response to the Isle front office clown show.
Both players were loved by the fan base until a situation occurred and the player chose a path that these fans didn't agree with.
Both Teams painted their stars as villains as a way to save face with the fans. Shame on both of them.

Reactions: draeko17

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009

I don't think the Isles planned to rebuild with Tavares. I don't think he was lied to. Its just been a poorly run organization, which happens in sports. It would be like a FA leaving the Jays. They've been run poorly for decades, play in an awful facility, and have no direction. Why would you hate on a guy for wanting to leave that?

Sundin was well within his rights to not want to leave, we just have dumb portions of the fanbase who get carried away.

Reactions: draeko17

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
I also agree he signed with the leafs. That's never been the question though. Cynick is on about Dubas virtually did nothing and had very little if any impact on Tavares' decision.

Yes he did virtually nothing, aka a small percentage. You have shown nothing on here that would indicate Dubas played a MAJOR role in the decision making process. Hell I even went through the trouble of attempting to quantify it and it generously came to 1%.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I will say he did reference the Marlies success as part of his decision. Of course this then brings up the Dubas impact on the Marlies debate. Even though I don't feel it's huge, at least you can say he maybe had a 10% impact on that team or something (don't even think it's that high but for argument sake let's go with it).

So then was Marlies success 10% of his overall decision? Again, I doubt it was that high. But let's say it was. That puts Dubas at 1% impact. But again, put him in Tampa and I don't think JT is riding with Stamkos in Florida.
Have you taken a look at the people directly signed that were on that Marlies team? In what world can you give him so little credit?
Mark Hunter sits by the phone and waits...

Reactions: mix1home and Lauro
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad