Confirmed with Link: Tavares to Toronto (7 years, $11M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
No shifting whatsoever.

If one was to quantify the term "virtually no impact" they may use a percentage like 1%. I laid out the case why I think 1% is accurate and likely on the high end. That's completely in line with my original comment.

Not sure why you're confused here.
If you deem I'm confused from reading my post it's obvious you are confused.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I agree with your numbers but I think when it was at 44% Dubas asked Tavares if he wanted to play where is waldo the live version and it shot right to 100% then :nod:
Love to see an interview where Dubas pulls out the PlayStation, trades Tavares to the Leafs, smiles huh, huh? and Tavares says, yep, looks good.
That would be the ultimate for everyone who likes to use this isn’t Plsystation 4.
Plus think of the endorsements? Wow. Sony is knocking!

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
The main influence was convincing a player who's lost every talented teammate he's ever had to trade or free agency while making 5.5m that the core could be kept intact and a winning team assembled with him making 11m (no small task. JT was not coming here to tarnish his legacy by being forever known as the guy that forced the Leafs into dismantling a dynasty before arrived, he's here to be a part of something special.

He liked the answers to some really hard questions or he wouldn't be a leaf

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
If John Tavares doesn't trust in Dubas abilities and vision to get the job done over the next 7 years Tavares is an Islander today. It goes beyond the "dream of wearing blue and white". Tavares made what in his mind was the best move for his career and legacy. If he didn't believe that was Toronto he'd be another childhood leaf fan that decided not to come home.
Exactly.

All we know for sure is that Dubas did a better job selling the Leafs than Lou Lamoriello or Doug Wilson did the Isles or the Sharks. While some folks might have been extremely understanding of how awesome a situation we have here, there were an awful lot of pundits and fans who believed that San Jose had a better chance at signing him given their ability to compete now (laughable, in my opinion) and the anonymity their city offered, or that the Islanders had a better chance at signing him because superstars never leave in free agency, and John's a loyal guy. I've even read on here that there was at least one poster who didn't think Tavares would sign here just because of our inexperienced GM.

Yet suddenly there was never any other choice for him, and he was always coming here. This despite the fact that Tavares insinuated that it was really Dubas himself who got that nostalgia factor going in the first place during the interview process, that Dubas was the one who started talking about the hometown angle and the legacy he could leave behind here if he helped make us a winner.

Shanahan selected Kyle as our GM because he believed Dubas was the person whose path and vision was the best one to take us to the ultimate goal - Why people are so sure that the guys he didn't select instead (Lamoriello and Hunter) would have a vision that they could sell Tavares on (especially after seeing the moves the Islanders have made since Tavares' departure) is beyond me. It's far from a guarantee, in my eyes.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
My honest guess, Nylander signs for sure, but Dubas tries for all 3:

Nylander 7 x 8
Marner 7.5 x 8
Matthews 10.5 x 8
I would be happy if Dubas got Nylander and Marner locked up.
There is more guess work to the above and less guess work on Matthews.
He’s looking at JT coin. The other 2 are the workable contracts. To a degree.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Exactly.

All we know for sure is that Dubas did a better job selling the Leafs than Lou Lamoriello or Doug Wilson did the Isles or the Sharks. While some folks might have been extremely understanding of how awesome a situation we have here, there were an awful lot of pundits and fans who believed that San Jose had a better chance at signing him given their ability to compete now (laughable, in my opinion) and the anonymity their city offered, or that the Islanders had a better chance at signing him because superstars never leave in free agency, and John's a loyal guy. I've even read on here that there was at least one poster who didn't think Tavares would sign here just because of our inexperienced GM.

Yet suddenly there was never any other choice for him, and he was always coming here. This despite the fact that Tavares insinuated that it was really Dubas himself who got that nostalgia factor going in the first place during the interview process, that Dubas was the one who started talking about the hometown angle and the legacy he could leave behind here if he helped make us a winner.

Shanahan selected Kyle as our GM because he believed Dubas was the person whose path and vision was the best one to take us to the ultimate goal - Why people are so sure that the guys he didn't select instead (Lamoriello and Hunter) would have a vision that they could sell Tavares on (especially after seeing the moves the Islanders have made since Tavares' departure) is beyond me. It's far from a guarantee, in my eyes.

Excellent point.

Nobody can say with certainty fully how things went (trying to put a % on things is absurd beyond belief), but drawing logical inferences, and second, basing off actual comments from Tavares, Shanahan, and reporters who interviewed people in the room , the pitch (of which Dubas was a main part of) played a major role in selling Toronto to him.

This idea that Tavares was a lock to come to Toronto regardless of what was said to him simply doesn’t hold up to any sort of logical scrutiny.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Excellent point.

Nobody can say with certainty fully how things went (trying to put a % on things is absurd beyond belief), but drawing logical inferences, and second, basing off actual comments from Tavares, Shanahan, and reporters who interviewed people in the room , the pitch (of which Dubas was a main part of) played a major role in selling Toronto to him.

This idea that Tavares was a lock to come to Toronto regardless of what was said to him simply doesn’t hold up to any sort of logical scrutiny.

I am actually really surprised how sentimental John is being esp. because he's been well regarded of being completely stoic/emotionless etc.

Dubas presented the facts.
the facts (coupled with the ooh yes. the DREAM) pushed it over.

the dream isn't triggering if
A: we sucked
B: Dubas screwed it up.

Reactions: ACC1224 and IBeL34f

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
My honest guess, Nylander signs for sure, but Dubas tries for all 3:

Nylander 7 x 8
Marner 7.5 x 8
Matthews 10.5 x 8
I'm hoping for a little less for all 3, based solely on selling them on a cap structure that benefits the whole team for the next decade, but would be comfortable with those being the final figures.

I'd really like to see us drive home the desperation of the teams that signed the McDavid, Draisaitl and Eichel contracts when we're negotiating with our Big 3. We're a premier destination, with star players that want to be here, and a real chance at creating something special - If these guys buy in at a combined ~$21M, that's an additional top-6 Forward/top-4 D that you can afford to add to your roster, giving you that much better a chance to win every single year. It's a pipe-dream, I know, but still...

These guys making $10-11M like Tavares, Doughty, Toews, Kane (and, to be fair, McDavid, though he's a freak of nature) - they won Cups, and scoring titles, and took home (or were nominated for) major individual awards before they signed those contracts. I understand paying for potential in the new NHL - (especially considering the most productive years of a player's career tend to be within the first 10) - and I'm fine with giving these 3 their due, but I can't help but hope we manage to get them at a bit of a discount, relative to some of the contracts other players have signed for recently.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Listened to an Isles reporter today, and he said he's better than you can imagine, he hasn't even peaked, his game just gets better and better. You go ALL CAPS FRIEND!!
When all is said and done, I will be shocked if Tavares' career year(s) are not with the Leafs. He and Marner together should flirt with 90 points each on a pretty much annual basis.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Dubas is on Overdrive right now ... Apparently the Leafs didn't even talk #'s during the presentation, the term and amount weren't figured out until after Tavares decided to come to Toronto. They wanted to him to decide he wanted to play for the Leafs above all else. Interesting.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Exactly.

I love the notion that you think JT needed Dubas to bring up that he had love for the Leafs. He said Dubas mentioned it, and it got the emotions going. But ANY GM would have played that angle with Tavares.

This has become such a hilarious thread.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Dubas is on Overdrive right now ... Apparently the Leafs didn't even talk #'s during the presentation, the term and amount weren't figured out until after Tavares decided to come to Toronto. They wanted to him to decide he wanted to play for the Leafs above all else. Interesting.

And people believe this? That's cute.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I love the notion that you think JT needed Dubas to bring up that he had love for the Leafs. He said Dubas mentioned it, and it got the emotions going. But ANY GM would have played that angle with Tavares.

Dubas said on Overdrive that the hometown angle wasn't much of their pitch. They heavily went on their process, their player development, vision for the future, plan to keep the core in tact, etc.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto

I love that you zeroed in on that one part of my post, while completely ignoring the meat of it.

You've become such a hilarious caricature.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad