Confirmed with Link: Tavares to Toronto (7 years, $11M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
If John Tavares doesn't trust in Dubas abilities and vision to get the job done over the next 7 years Tavares is an Islander today. It goes beyond the "dream of wearing blue and white". Tavares made what in his mind was the best move for his career and legacy. If he didn't believe that was Toronto he'd be another childhood leaf fan that decided not to come home.

I think that's a fair analysis. We had the emotional edge over all the other teams bidding for him as a pending UFA, but not over the Isles. I think he was genuinely torn between leaving the Isles or joining the Leafs, probably 50/50. Dubas and company definitely deserve credit for convincing him to make the most difficult decision of his professional career.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Excellent point.

Nobody can say with certainty fully how things went (trying to put a % on things is absurd beyond belief), but drawing logical inferences, and second, basing off actual comments from Tavares, Shanahan, and reporters who interviewed people in the room , the pitch (of which Dubas was a main part of) played a major role in selling Toronto to him.

This idea that Tavares was a lock to come to Toronto regardless of what was said to him simply doesn’t hold up to any sort of logical scrutiny.

Tavares is a very meticulous man, he came prepared, asked alot of challenging questions that Dubas answered...and Tavares is human...we all are...he talked alot about his gut, his instincts, his feelings...if he doesn't trust enough to buy what Dubas said in that room, he ain't coming because he's got other tempting options.

Reactions: Menzinger

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
And people believe this? That's cute.

I don't see why he would lie about that. What's so unbelievable? It's not like the money was going to be a key factor in the decision.

Haven't you been in a job interview? They all for a range at the beginning and it's not talked about again until after an offer.

The money part was the easiest part of this, 7x11? Sure. Sign.

It only gets complicated when another team says $13x7?? But that never got done - this was not about money.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
What’s his incentive to lie about this?

Just don't believe it. It goes against what was reported and just doesn't make sense to me. I think he wants to focus on the fact that JT bought into the program.

One of the legacies of Tim Liewike on this organization is controlling the narrative. That's why few in the org are allowed to speak.

SeanAvery

Apr 13, 2015
Just don't believe it. It goes against what was reported and just doesn't make sense to me. I think he wants to focus on the fact that JT bought into the program.

One of the legacies of Tim Liewike on this organization is controlling the narrative. That's why few in the org are allowed to speak.

Tim Liewike doesn't work for the MLSE anymore.

Reactions: Skin Tape Session

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
I usually enjoy the summer break from hockey, since we signed this guy all I want is for the league to announce the season starts in August this year.

This season is going to be special.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008

Of course you don't believe it or think it doesn't make sense, it would go against your narrative that you've been building.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Why shouldn't people believe that? Do you have any evidence why that is false?

1. It was reported the Leafs laid out to separate proposals to JT in that meeting by multiple sources from different news organizations.

2. It just doesn't make sense. JT said he didn't decide on Toronto until the day before. If you believe Dubas that means no numbers were ever discussed. So say the Leafs said the only way we can do this is if you sign a 1 year deal for $15M and then we do an extension in January. And then Tavares goes oh I have no intention of signing that deal. Then the Leafs go well on an 8 year deal we can't go higher than 9 per. That would mean JT spent the whole week making a crucial life decision and didn't know the most important aspect of the deal?

Like I said in another post, it's a narrative. Its good for PR. Focus away from JT being the second highest paid player in the league.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
1. It was reported the Leafs laid out to separate proposals to JT in that meeting by multiple sources from different news organizations.

2. It just doesn't make sense. JT said he didn't decide on Toronto until the day before. If you believe Dubas that means no numbers were ever discussed. So say the Leafs said the only way we can do this is if you sign a 1 year deal for $15M and then we do an extension in January. And then Tavares goes oh I have no intention of signing that deal. Then the Leafs go well on an 8 year deal we can't go higher than 9 per. That would mean JT spent the whole week making a crucial life decision and didn't know the most important aspect of the deal?

Like I said in another post, it's a narrative. Its good for PR. Focus away from JT being the second highest paid player in the league.
Post the sources.

Reactions: Skin Tape Session

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Dubas said on Overdrive that the hometown angle wasn't much of their pitch. They heavily went on their process, their player development, vision for the future, plan to keep the core in tact, etc.

All of it helped. But Tavares chose to post on Twitter that he was living a childhood dream. His childhood dream wasn't too be part of a great process. Don't get me wrong, I think he was impressed by our management and what Shanny, Lou and Babs have put together and have now entrusted with Dubas to not taking us over a cliff. I just don't think Dubas particularly made any tangible difference.

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
This guy is a beauty. Shame a lot of posters here don't see his value. At least the coach does.

Eh, I think most of us like Zach, but just think he was rushed into 1st line minutes without necessarily working for it or being ready for it.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
LOL...so he's going to go on radio and lie about it now, when there are witnesses like Tavares...we should really believe you no doubt...

Tavares works for the same company and will follow the narrative.

I'm not saying it's impossible, I just don't believe it. Not asking anyone to see it my way.

But you would think one of the reporters would have got the story right. Yet they all said numbers were presented. So somebody is lying. If it's every reporter, then we should never trust anything they say again. Remove them all from the trusted sources list.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Eh, I think most of us like Zach, but just think he was rushed into 1st line minutes without necessarily working for it or being ready for it.

Yeah and a lot off people don't really understand hockey who post here. So you got a lot of issues at play.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Post the sources.

Search just about every Insider who was commentating on the process. They all said offers were presented during the meetings. Twitter has a search function or try Google. I'm not doing your homework. Come prepared.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
That thread on the Isles board is incredible. Just a bunch of extremely salty and pathetic Islander fans, and then you have known mainboard trolls going in and giving sympathy.

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal
Regarding the overdrive interview I loved hearing the toughest westerner truth sayer, common sense friend of Scotty Bowman and the Sutter clan, not challenge Dubas even a little about his often stated position that Tavares made no sense for the Leafs.

3headeddragon

Sep 27, 2017
Kitchener

Nice narrative!! How long will you be out to lunch!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad