Confirmed with Link: Tavares to Toronto (7 years, $11M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TmlHockeyFan

Jul 19, 2012
Toronto
Guess what guys.. I'M STILL PUMPED THAT JOHN TAVARES IS A TORONTO MAPLE LEAF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
I think what Marleau did last year essentially opened the flood gates and Tavares essentially broke the dam entirely.

I think in the future, we'll see all sorts of cheap and short deals from all star Toronto players that want to win it all here.

And after 50 years of suffering and being made fun of, I think we're ALL ready to tell the fan bases that eventually start whining "it's not fair" to SUCK IT as we try to outwarrior the warriors.

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
Exactly.

All we know for sure is that Dubas did a better job selling the Leafs than Lou Lamoriello or Doug Wilson did the Isles or the Sharks. While some folks might have been extremely understanding of how awesome a situation we have here, there were an awful lot of pundits and fans who believed that San Jose had a better chance at signing him given their ability to compete now (laughable, in my opinion) and the anonymity their city offered, or that the Islanders had a better chance at signing him because superstars never leave in free agency, and John's a loyal guy. I've even read on here that there was at least one poster who didn't think Tavares would sign here just because of our inexperienced GM.

Yet suddenly there was never any other choice for him, and he was always coming here. This despite the fact that Tavares insinuated that it was really Dubas himself who got that nostalgia factor going in the first place during the interview process, that Dubas was the one who started talking about the hometown angle and the legacy he could leave behind here if he helped make us a winner.

Shanahan selected Kyle as our GM because he believed Dubas was the person whose path and vision was the best one to take us to the ultimate goal - Why people are so sure that the guys he didn't select instead (Lamoriello and Hunter) would have a vision that they could sell Tavares on (especially after seeing the moves the Islanders have made since Tavares' departure) is beyond me. It's far from a guarantee, in my eyes.

Here here.... that's one of the most logical takes of the situation ive seen on here. And pretty much bang on right imho

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Exactly.

All we know for sure is that Dubas did a better job selling the Leafs than Lou Lamoriello or Doug Wilson did the Isles or the Sharks. While some folks might have been extremely understanding of how awesome a situation we have here, there were an awful lot of pundits and fans who believed that San Jose had a better chance at signing him given their ability to compete now (laughable, in my opinion) and the anonymity their city offered, or that the Islanders had a better chance at signing him because superstars never leave in free agency, and John's a loyal guy. I've even read on here that there was at least one poster who didn't think Tavares would sign here just because of our inexperienced GM.

Yet suddenly there was never any other choice for him, and he was always coming here. This despite the fact that Tavares insinuated that it was really Dubas himself who got that nostalgia factor going in the first place during the interview process, that Dubas was the one who started talking about the hometown angle and the legacy he could leave behind here if he helped make us a winner.

Shanahan selected Kyle as our GM because he believed Dubas was the person whose path and vision was the best one to take us to the ultimate goal - Why people are so sure that the guys he didn't select instead (Lamoriello and Hunter) would have a vision that they could sell Tavares on (especially after seeing the moves the Islanders have made since Tavares' departure) is beyond me. It's far from a guarantee, in my eyes.

that is one quality post.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I'm hoping for a little less for all 3, based solely on selling them on a cap structure that benefits the whole team for the next decade, but would be comfortable with those being the final figures.

I'd really like to see us drive home the desperation of the teams that signed the McDavid, Draisaitl and Eichel contracts when we're negotiating with our Big 3. We're a premier destination, with star players that want to be here, and a real chance at creating something special - If these guys buy in at a combined ~$21M, that's an additional top-6 Forward/top-4 D that you can afford to add to your roster, giving you that much better a chance to win every single year. It's a pipe-dream, I know, but still...

These guys making $10-11M like Tavares, Doughty, Toews, Kane (and, to be fair, McDavid, though he's a freak of nature) - they won Cups, and scoring titles, and took home (or were nominated for) major individual awards before they signed those contracts. I understand paying for potential in the new NHL - (especially considering the most productive years of a player's career tend to be within the first 10) - and I'm fine with giving these 3 their due, but I can't help but hope we manage to get them at a bit of a discount, relative to some of the contracts other players have signed for recently.

Matthews has a major trophy

mattews at 11 i'm fine with
willi gets ehlers money and at 33% less goal production he should be grateful for that
and no clue on marner, other then get that one done DAMN QUICK.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Dubas is on Overdrive right now ... Apparently the Leafs didn't even talk #'s during the presentation, the term and amount weren't figured out until after Tavares decided to come to Toronto. They wanted to him to decide he wanted to play for the Leafs above all else. Interesting.

ahhh are they even allow to talk money and term during that 1 week courtship?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad