Training Camp Standouts

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Lane Hutson is like an uber-Quinn Hughes right? Even smaller and even worse defensively? It's nice for young hockey players, and for the NHL in general, if players like them can become buzzworthy, and scale the heights of notoriety that Hughes just did and Hutson may be poised to? This is good for the game.
:handclap:

Reactions: PavelBure10

Craig Ludwig

Jun 16, 2005
Almost forgot this was a general prospects thread as I was reading it :laugh:

Another Habs fan chiming in, besides Hutson, Oliver Kapanen has looked incredible in his first game. The guy was imo the best player on the ice (better than Hutson), super impressive how poised he was in his first game on the smaller North American ice. His SHL coach (Olli Jokinen) says he'd be among the top SHL players if he didn't make the Habs but he doesn't expect him to be coming back, he's too good for that league.

Us Habs fans practically forgot about the guy, he had a really impressive progression in the past year.
If he keeps it up, what do Habs do though? We already have 5 Centers, so it's either Laval or back to SHL. I would rather see him get plenty of ice time in Sweden and develop another year.

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
If he keeps it up, what do Habs do though? We already have 5 Centers, so it's either Laval or back to SHL. I would rather see him get plenty of ice time in Sweden and develop another year.
In an ideal world? Cast Dvorak into the setting sun. Genuinely the most forgettable player I've ever seen play hockey.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Lekkerimakki and Raty were excellent tonight. Totally different players but both showed a glimpse of what's to be.

Lekkerimakki is known for his scoring, even dubbed a one trick pony but since the prospect tourney, camp and then tonight, he's shown he's far more than that. Kids got that it factor.

But for me as someone who has been touting Raty since we traded for him, it's been obvious since rookie camp that he's taken a big jump since an already good season last year where he took big strides.

He played in every situation, was 14-18 on the dot had an assist and a crossbar but it was his play away from the puck that stood out. He's faster, knows where to be in all three zones.

The nucks are a deep team, especially in the bottom six , there's more of a path for Lekkerimakki but both making the team when at full health, would mean two of Sprong, Sherwood, Bleuger, Suter-, Hoglander, Heinen getting scratched.
Agreed. Seems like a while since the Canucks have had several rookies knocking on the door like this and Willander isn’t even at camp. Lekkerimaki and Raty have really stood out throughout camp and were the best players in the first exhibition game. It’s easy to forget that Raty is only 21. He’s taken a big step in his skating and looks like he’s developed into a strong two way bottom six center. Lekk could very well stick in a top 6 role at least to start the season. As you said he’s much more than just a sniper as his playmaking looks very good too as he had assists on two of the three goals.
I’d add Silovs to the list of impressive rookies. Going to be a tough decision when Demko is ready to go as Laniken is a legit backup as well.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Agreed. Seems like a while since the Canucks have had several rookies knocking on the door like this and Willander isn’t even at camp. Lekkerimaki and Raty have really stood out throughout camp and were the best players in the first exhibition game. It’s easy to forget that Raty is only 21. He’s taken a big step in his skating and looks like he’s developed into a strong two way bottom six center. Lekk could very well stick in a top 6 role at least to start the season. As you said he’s much more than just a sniper as his playmaking looks very good too as he had assists on two of the three goals.
I’d add Silovs to the list of impressive rookies. Going to be a tough decision when Demko is ready to go as Laniken is a legit backup as well.
Damn, Räty is 22 soon? How time flies.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Through his rookie tourney games and 1 preseason game I've liked what I've seen from Yegor Sidorov and Rodwin Dionicio.

I don't think Dionicio is quite as good a skater or as efficient in his play as guys like Mintyukov, Zellweger, or Luneau (who also has shone as Anaheim's best prospect but he hasn't played since I last commented on him); that said he has good vision and skill with the puck. He's pretty adept at making moves under pressure to create space for himself to advance the puck along and could be useful on the powerplay if he improves his shot. I can see him as a second pair defenseman in the NHL if he works on his defensive game, his shot, and his footspeed.

Sidorov is an easy guy for more casual prospect trackers to get hyped for given his insane juniors performance he had last season, but given he was an overager it was hard not to think of other Ducks forward prospects who shined in juniors and sputtered out in attempting to transition to the NHL (Steel, Pastujov, and Perreault as a few examples). I think the concern was how well he could adapt his game for the two way needs of the NHL and his ability to effectuate his skill with less time and space in the NHL. I don't think the kid has a place on this team today, but I've liked what I've seen. He brings high energy, he executed on his skill plays more than I might've expected, and he was pretty engaged if not tremendously effective on the forechecking. I can see him becoming a solid second liner if everything goes right with his development. Outside chance of a lesser first liner if he really dedicated himself and doesn't have developmental set backs.

Reactions: thebestnic

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Raty and Lekkerimaki have impressed so far. Silovs as well. The kid is just acrobatic as hell.

Particularly impressed with Raty’s 200ft game and his faceoff prowess at 21. One of the most incredibly smart and two way player I’ve seen at his age.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Adam Edstrom. He has to make the NHL team. He’s been our best rookie in the prospect showcase and training camp. Had a goal and an assist last night, played physical, and was PK’ing. All that for a 6’7 center who can skate. We’re hoping he becomes a Brian Boyle.

Rempe looks good. Better than last season. Was getting PK time last night and had some good offense shifts. I don’t think it’s an either/or thing with Rempe and Edstrom. But I think Rempe’s roster spot is safe.

Mancini has been good on defense. Had a goal and an assist in the first preseason game and was our best defensemen in the prospect showcase. He’s not going to make the team because they won’t carry four right shots and he’d only be the 7D, but I think he’ll get NHL games this season and replace Trouba next season.

Garand looked good. Back to the AHL for another year. I think though he might be the #3 now over Domingue, which isn’t nothing. Domingue is a veteran #3 that has been a #2 for a lot of time in the league.

Othmann and Berard have both been okay. Probably need better to make the team. I think both will go back to the AHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad