We are living through the golden generations of sports and we don’t even know it

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
so by your definition, gymnastics isn't a sport? figure skating? diving? boxing?
Correct....except boxing and mma have the caveat that they can be decided without judges in lots of cases, so a grey area. But gymnastics, diving, figure skating are all athletic arts. You need to be athletic, but it's an art. And like the academy awards, regardless of how much criteria they fit into their judging standards, it's subjective. So I don't consider them true sports.

Reactions: RickyLafleur

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Not going to comment on the NBA/MLB as I don't follow either league, though I personally stopped watching the NBA because I don't like the product. But I agree about the NHL, but the NFL might be the worst product ever. There are two elite QBs in the league.

Nogatco Rd

Did you just call me Coltrane?
Apr 3, 2021
There isn't a player living or dead who could make players like Orr , Johnston , Montana , Rose , Pele or Borg look like bozos and it will still be true in fifty years .
Pete Rose doesn’t need anyone else to make him look like a bozo, he did a great job of that all by himself

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
You’re covering like 40 years of sports in that list. You may as well just say you’ve enjoyed sports during your lifetime.
This is kind of where I'm at. Read the thread a few days back and was trying to think, but there's always been goats in my lifetime.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
Correct....except boxing and mma have the caveat that they can be decided without judges in lots of cases, so a grey area. But gymnastics, diving, figure skating are all athletic arts. You need to be athletic, but it's an art. And like the academy awards, regardless of how much criteria they fit into their judging standards, it's subjective. So I don't consider them true sports.

So if a hockey game was decided by a subjective call based on whether a puck was kicked into the net, then that specific game was not a sports game but a game of art?

Also what if a team gets a game winning goal on the power play after a controversial penalty based on a subjective decision by the referee, is that game now also not a sports game?

I think we can all agree that there are a lot controversial calls being made all the time so maybe hockey isn't a sport, maybe we're all just fans of the dark arts?

Nogatco Rd

Did you just call me Coltrane?
Apr 3, 2021
I was picturing LeBron James and Pat Mahomes machine gunning Nazis on a beach but then I realized that’s the Greatest Generation not the Golden generation

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
So if a hockey game was decided by a subjective call based on whether a puck was kicked into the net, then that specific game was not a sports game but a game of art?

Also what if a team gets a game winning goal on the power play after a controversial penalty based on a subjective decision by the referee, is that game now also not a sports game?

I think we can all agree that there are a lot controversial calls being made all the time so maybe hockey isn't a sport, maybe we're all just fans of the dark arts?
Sure, make up all the ridiculous hypotheticals you want. At the end of the day, one team scored more than the other. Goalies can stop pucks and teams can kill 'subjective' penalties.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad