We are living through the golden generations of sports and we don’t even know it

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
so by your definition, gymnastics isn't a sport? figure skating? diving? boxing?
Correct....except boxing and mma have the caveat that they can be decided without judges in lots of cases, so a grey area. But gymnastics, diving, figure skating are all athletic arts. You need to be athletic, but it's an art. And like the academy awards, regardless of how much criteria they fit into their judging standards, it's subjective. So I don't consider them true sports.

Reactions: RickyLafleur

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Not going to comment on the NBA/MLB as I don't follow either league, though I personally stopped watching the NBA because I don't like the product. But I agree about the NHL, but the NFL might be the worst product ever. There are two elite QBs in the league.

Nogatco Rd

Did you just call me Coltrane?
Apr 3, 2021
There isn't a player living or dead who could make players like Orr , Johnston , Montana , Rose , Pele or Borg look like bozos and it will still be true in fifty years .
Pete Rose doesn’t need anyone else to make him look like a bozo, he did a great job of that all by himself

Reactions: Cas

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
Correct....except boxing and mma have the caveat that they can be decided without judges in lots of cases, so a grey area. But gymnastics, diving, figure skating are all athletic arts. You need to be athletic, but it's an art. And like the academy awards, regardless of how much criteria they fit into their judging standards, it's subjective. So I don't consider them true sports.

So if a hockey game was decided by a subjective call based on whether a puck was kicked into the net, then that specific game was not a sports game but a game of art?

Also what if a team gets a game winning goal on the power play after a controversial penalty based on a subjective decision by the referee, is that game now also not a sports game?

I think we can all agree that there are a lot controversial calls being made all the time so maybe hockey isn't a sport, maybe we're all just fans of the dark arts?

Nogatco Rd

Apr 3, 2021
I was picturing LeBron James and Pat Mahomes machine gunning Nazis on a beach but then I realized that’s the Greatest Generation not the Golden generation

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
So if a hockey game was decided by a subjective call based on whether a puck was kicked into the net, then that specific game was not a sports game but a game of art?

Also what if a team gets a game winning goal on the power play after a controversial penalty based on a subjective decision by the referee, is that game now also not a sports game?

I think we can all agree that there are a lot controversial calls being made all the time so maybe hockey isn't a sport, maybe we're all just fans of the dark arts?
Sure, make up all the ridiculous hypotheticals you want. At the end of the day, one team scored more than the other. Goalies can stop pucks and teams can kill 'subjective' penalties.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
Sure, make up all the ridiculous hypotheticals you want. At the end of the day, one team scored more than the other. Goalies can stop pucks and teams can kill 'subjective' penalties.

How are they ridiculous? subjective calls affecting the outcome of a game isn't unheard of.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Name me 10 baseball players better than Ohtani please?
Right now, there's no one.

Historically, there are plenty (as of right now - it'll be a very tall order to change, and it remains to be see if Ohtani has the longevity to do it).

Nogatco Rd

Apr 3, 2021
I was referring to his performance on the playing field only .
Me too. Full blown degen who gambled on games he was playing in/managing
And not just limited to hockey.

In the last 25 years we’ve had

Schumaker
Hamilton
Verstappen

Agassi
Sampras
Federer
Nadal
Djokovic

Jordan
LeBron

Brady
Manning
Mahomes

Woods

Phelps
Bolt

Messi
Ronaldo

Bonds
Trout
Ohtani

Gretzky
Lemieux
Crosby
McDavid

Basically we’ve seen the GOAT in every sport (sometimes one upped by the next guy) or Top 5 players of all time all in the last 25 years.

We’re living through the golden generation of sports and we don’t even know it.
missing Tony Romo but otherwise a great list

• Haha
Reactions: the valiant effort

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
How are they ridiculous? subjective calls affecting the outcome of a game isn't unheard of.
You equating a referee missing a call with a judge deciding whose turns were sharper and whose dancing was more rhythmic and in time with the music is ridiculous. A ref missing a call doesn't decide the game. The players have the ability to overcome a missed or phantom call. You can't overcome a judge's scorecard.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
First, driving a car isnt a sport.

Second, there are like 10 better baseball players (that didnt use drugs) than the three you listed from prior generations.

Absolute clown post.

F1 is an extraordinarily physical activity. You have no clue.

And there is no one better than Ohtani in any era. He is a statistical 1 of 1. And he plays in a much more competitive era than Mantle or Aaron or whatever boomer you’re about to mention.

TKB

Jun 12, 2010
Chicago
Maybe, but we're also living in by far the worst age of gladiators and gladiator-related athletics.

Hockey has been by far my life long favorite sport, but if there is a definition of golden era applied to sports - 70's heavy weight and 80's welter/ middle weight boxing were a fleeting "moments" in time that featured such drama, goats and epic matches that will never ever be repeated in a similar way.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
You equating a referee missing a call with a judge deciding whose turns were sharper and whose dancing was more rhythmic and in time with the music is ridiculous. A ref missing a call doesn't decide the game. The players have the ability to overcome a missed or phantom call. You can't overcome a judge's scorecard.

I'm not equating anything to anything I'm trying to use hypothetical scenarios to figure out where you would draw the line.

Thought it would be a fun excercise but I guess not.

Hockey has been by far my life long favorite sport, but if there is a definition of golden era applied to sports - 70's heavy weight and 80's welter/ middle weight boxing were a fleeting "moments" in time that featured such drama, goats and epic matches that will never ever be repeated in a similar way.

Boxing was more entertaining back then but it's a lot more internationally competitive now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad