Confirmed with Link: Tavares to Toronto (7 years, $11M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Tavares works for the same company and will follow the narrative.

I'm not saying it's impossible, I just don't believe it. Not asking anyone to see it my way.

But you would think one of the reporters would have got the story right. Yet they all said numbers were presented. So somebody is lying. If it's every reporter, then we should never trust anything they say again. Remove them all from the trusted sources list.

That's ridiculous...there's actually something called integrity and trust...so now that Tavares has signed on with Dubas, he feels obligated to become a liar too...pffft. So Dubas is even more powerful and persuasive than we all thought: he could lie freely to others, and not only that, the superstar UFA he just signed will lie for him too. And maybe Tavares' agent Brisson who was there will also lie for him...man, with Dubas in charge, we could lie our way to getting all of Brisson's top UFA's for the next 20 to 30 years.

It's not that it's impossible, it's clearly the truth...now if Dubas told this to a stranger he met next to urinal, and says "this is between you and me, keep it hush...", then maybe. He went public on a radio show with millions of listeners. And if they talked about contract in detail, there's nothing wrong with him saying that. No reason to lie.

Reactions: al secord

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Search just about every Insider who was commentating on the process. They all said offers were presented during the meetings. Twitter has a search function or try Google. I'm not doing your homework. Come prepared.
You're the one who never links your sources while everyone posts theirs.

As long as you continue to keep using yourself as your best insider, you don't really have a stance that Dubas is a liar.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Yeah and a lot off people don't really understand hockey who post here. So you got a lot of issues at play.

I have to agree with you on Hyman...he's a warrior...comes to play every night...was extremely effective in the playoffs and gave Boston all they could handle...one of the hated Leaf players by Boston fans in that series.

Reactions: DarkKnight

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Just don't believe it. It goes against what was reported and just doesn't make sense to me. I think he wants to focus on the fact that JT bought into the program.

One of the legacies of Tim Liewike on this organization is controlling the narrative. That's why few in the org are allowed to speak.

I don't recall many insider at all actually saying the basis of the Leafs' pitch was to bring Tavares' back home. By all accounts Tavares' decision was heavily influenced by the team's plan, the players, how they'll manage salaries, player development etc. That's been stated by everyone directly at the meeting (Dubas, Tavares, Babcock, and Brisson). Tavares came prepared to the meetings, he was engaged and really wanted to know the team's long-term plans.

The hometown theme is a nice underlying factor and I'm sure once JT made the decision he no doubt would be excited by that. But based on everything we've heard the hometown factor was secondary.

If you can't post direct links to support your claims, and stubbornly refusing to do so, then stop making these claims because the onus is on you to prove otherwise.

As an asides I definitely don't take every word Dubas/Shanagement says at face value. It's easy to see the PR statements. I just don't see that here, nor do I see much of an incentive to do so.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
I don't recall many insider at all actually saying the basis of the Leafs' pitch was to bring Tavares' back home. By all accounts Tavares' decision was heavily influenced by the team's plan, the players, how they'll manage salaries, player development etc. That's been stated by everyone directly at the meeting (Dubas, Tavares, Babcock, and Brisson). Tavares came prepared to the meetings, he was engaged and really wanted to know the team's long-term plans.

The hometown theme is a nice underlying factor and I'm sure once JT made the decision he no doubt would be excited by that. But based on everything we've heard the hometown factor was secondary.

If you can't post direct links to support your claims, and stubbornly refusing to do so, then stop making these claims because the onus is on you to prove otherwise.

As an asides I definitely don't take every word Dubas/Shanagement says at face value. It's easy to see the PR statements. I just don't see that here, nor do I see much of an incentive to do so.

My point is about the money being brought up during the process. That's what I was saying was reported.

The boyhood dream angle was based on JTs own Twitter breaking of the news. Dubas said it wasn't a major part of his pitch. But JT clearly thought it was a major point to drive his decision.

As for the PR thing, sometimes it takes a really sharp eye to see these things. Not everyone has it.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
My point is about the money being brought up during the process. That's what I was saying was reported.

The boyhood dream angle was based on JTs own Twitter breaking of the news. Dubas said it wasn't a major part of his pitch. But JT clearly thought it was a major point to drive his decision.

As for the PR thing, sometimes it takes a really sharp eye to see these things. Not everyone has it.

Obviously we see it's a matter of perception then.. Agree to disagree.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008

And the way JT spoke about getting those "feelings" (as if it was a process) about playing for his hometown team came after he was presented with the vision and plan by Dubas, after many of his questions were articulately answered...that was the main attraction...the Leafs being his hometown team is icing on the cake.

And ****, I'm still excited that Tavares is a Toronto Maple Leaf!

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Love to see an interview where Dubas pulls out the PlayStation, trades Tavares to the Leafs, smiles huh, huh? and Tavares says, yep, looks good.
That would be the ultimate for everyone who likes to use this isn’t Plsystation 4.
Plus think of the endorsements? Wow. Sony is knocking!
:biglaugh:

I think the wow factor would have to be a board game though. Retro kills it.

leburn98

Jan 28, 2013
Search just about every Insider who was commentating on the process. They all said offers were presented during the meetings. Twitter has a search function or try Google. I'm not doing your homework. Come prepared.
Many "insiders" were saying the Sharks were the frontrunners and yet the decision came down to the Isles and Leafs. Also, don't forget that this whole idea of 1 year max deal, then re-sign for 8 was something the media was speculating long before the interview process even started. As for the dollar amount, it was always speculated that Tavares would be in the 10-12 million range. With all of that said, one of the key things in the Leafs presentation to Tavares and to address his concern was what their plan was to keep the big three. It then wouldn't have been hard for Tavares and his agent Brisson to read between the lines and realize that the Leafs likely wouldn't budge pass 11 million given that they needed to sign the big three.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Many "insiders" were saying the Sharks were the frontrunners and yet the decision came down to the Isles and Leafs. Also, don't forget that this whole idea of 1 year max deal, then re-sign for 8 was something the media was speculating long before the interview process even started. As for the dollar amount, it was always speculated that Tavares would be in the 10-12 million range. With all of that said, one of the key things in the Leafs presentation to Tavares and to address his concern was what their plan was to keep the big three. It then wouldn't have been hard for Tavares and his agent Brisson to read between the lines and realize that the Leafs likely wouldn't budge pass 11 million given that they needed to sign the big three.
You must have really sharp eyes.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
You laid down an accusation that I was shifting of goal posts. I clearly wasnt. Now youre on to something else.
You start with Dubas had virtually nothing to do with Tavares's decision and when Tavares himself said he was impressed with Dubas and how he presented everything to him and he was a big factor in Tavares choosing Toronto you then ask "what percentage did Tavares say Dubas influenced him?"
That is shifting goal posts because you started with an initial premise which was proven false so you then shifted your argument to something else; shifting goal posts.
To make it a little clearer for You, when you start a debate based on a certain criteria then mid debate change That, especially to a criteria that heavily sways the outcome to your favor equals shifting goal posts.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Dubas should have just done a video conference with Tavares

Yeah, don't understand why Dubas even bother stepping out of the house...it's the Toronto Maple Leafs after all...conference by Skype on his laptop, sporting a tank-top and pajamas, eating a bowl of cereal and milk...don't even need to brush his teeth and comb his hair.

Reactions: saltming

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Yeah, don't understand why Dubas even bother stepping out of the house...it's the Toronto Maple Leafs after all...conference by Skype on his laptop, sporting a tank-top and pajamas, eating a bowl of cereal and milk...don't even need to brush his teeth and comb his hair.
As long as he's sporting the waldo cap and glasses.

Reactions: Superstar

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Oh so now we are so sure Tavares was coming to the Leafs no matter what. no one thought that a week ago.
Boring old Mark Hunter would have organized a presentation which would have put Tavares to sleep.
I never said he would come “no matter what”. Tavares knows Hunter very well and Shanahan was still in the room.
I’m sure Tavares made his decision based on many things, not just a presentation. I don’t know Tavares though, maybe I’m giving him too much credit.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Love to see an interview where Dubas pulls out the PlayStation, trades Tavares to the Leafs, smiles huh, huh? and Tavares says, yep, looks good.
That would be the ultimate for everyone who likes to use this isn’t Plsystation 4.
Plus think of the endorsements? Wow. Sony is knocking!
Speaking of PlayStation, has EA announced their cover player yet?

Would be awesome if Tavares was the cover player in a Leaf jersey (as well as a hilarious troll job on Isles fans) :nod:

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Guess what guys.. I'M STILL PUMPED THAT JOHN TAVARES IS A TORONTO MAPLE LEAF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The lineup of jerseys in that picture are sooo sick

IMO it is easily the largest collection of talent ever on a leafs team, at least since around 1980 when I started watching hockey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad