Roster Building Thread - Part XII(Training Camp/Preseason)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
If you give Igor 8 years, 88 mill - 11 per.. with 16 deferred to get the cap hit down to 9 per .. like the hurricanes did on Jarvis and Slavin (smaller scale) - he’s not going to say no.

The league will try and fight it. But all the rangers have to do is structure it in bonuses like the players seem to like - if he can’t live on 62 million over 8 years, before a lump sum payout.. then your sales pitch wasn’t very good to begin with.

While it’s allowed, it’s a golden goose for the Rangers. Dodgers did it with Ohtani.. the same thing will happen with Soto this year in baseball.

Until the NHL closes the loop hole, it would be malpractice by Drury and Dolan to not make it work and save 3-4 mill cap wise per year on Shesterkin and Laf.

Literally a dream scenario while they’re cap crunched.

The player has to want deferred money. Unless the numbers are staggering, I'm not deferring shit

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Othmann is of course also the youngest of the bunch… you think Edstrom looked this good two years ago? And Berard didn’t outplay him tonight IMO.

I see Othmann in a couple of years as something we’ve been short of for ages: middle six forward that can put the puck in the net and plays a mean physical game.

Othmann is not ready (and not all that close to being ready imo) but with all the fretting over Igor/Laf/Miller contracts coming up, we will need ELC forwards starting next year. I'm not pushing a former 16th overall pick out the door at the deadline for a rental because of impatience

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Great article by Brooks, agree with this 100%.
Hopefully Drury is smart enough not to fall in the trap of Shesty's "opening day deadline". Like I said earlier, the Rangers really are the ones with the high ground here, unless Igor would somehow get offended and decided that he was not going to re-sign with us if the contract is not done before opening night. Which I doubt is the case, because I've got a feeling he likes playing in New York. Once the season starts, the value of his contract is not going to increase. It can only go down. This is why their camp is hoping for a resolution before the opening night. Like I said, Drury should be smart enough to see this, and not cave in. If he wants his contract done now, he has to give up his wildest ask and take what the Rangers are offering (which would still make him the highest paid goalie in the league).

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
If Kakko happens to get dealt, they better target a young dman that has potential. After watching last nights game, do the Rangers really need to be only 2 or 3 dman injuries away from playing Harpur, especially when Lindgren is already hurt.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
If Kakko happens to get dealt, they better target a young dman that has potential. After watching last nights game, do the Rangers really need to be only 2 or 3 dman injuries away from playing Harpur, especially when Lindgren is already hurt.
Why would anyone trade a young potential Dman for Kakko right now?

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Why would anyone trade a young potential Dman for Kakko right now?

they take a chance on that 2ed overall draft status lol but seriously Rangers need to upgrade the young dman depth. I really dont want to see more AHL vets playing dman that arent any good at all.

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
Takeaway for me this preseason so far- everyone wants to talk about Rempe this Rempe that, he skated so much over the summer, yada yada.

Watch the actual hockey. Edstrom is the guy who's made the real transformation here.
Ive been saying this for weeks. Rempe is a great story, he's a great kid and it's fun to see him blow people up.

Edström is a Hockey Player. Edjovo literally chirped me about him 2 days ago. "rempe is 100x the player Edstrom was at his age. they produced the same last year in the AHL. just because he was in the SHL people assume he's good"

nah bro. watch him play. he has a plan on the ice to build an advantage, to tilt the ice a little bit, and he has the physical tools to make it stick. I said this last week - different players, but i can see him finding a role like Fast. PK/bottom 6er who punches above weight class talent-wise because he's steady and stays within his role.

i have so little confidence that the Rangers will utilize what they have in Edström. They play veterans who can PK, they play sideshow Rempe. id love to be proved wrong here, and it's not like Edström is some game breaker, but i'm convinced he does the things that will help this team win games.
Cool, we just need to find ourselves a few minor cap-friendly roster finds like Carter Verhaege, Sam Reinhart, and Sam Bennett :sarcasm:
we'll likely have an opportunity to do so after this current core is gone. trouba, bread, and likely 1 of chytil/kakko will be gone, we ideally have 2 top 9 fwds on ELC, as well as homegrown bottom 6 depth from this current hartford crop.

finding the right fit at F could go a long way. obviously the D is much harder to deal with.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

Cmox

Jan 22, 2010
In the woods

Great article by Brooks, agree with this 100%.
I'm about to read this. But when deadlines and numbers leak for contracts, it's pure negotiating tactics. That's why I really don't care about what was being said. It's clear that if he's re-signed, the price will be a bit lower.

Last edited:

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
Othmann is not ready (and not all that close to being ready imo) but with all the fretting over Igor/Laf/Miller contracts coming up, we will need ELC forwards starting next year. I'm not pushing a former 16th overall pick out the door at the deadline for a rental because of impatience
Right! We don't need him to be a star, we need him to bring the things he naturally does: play with an edge and chip in some goals. Really, what does the average 16th OA pick even turn into? I think people are nuts giving up on 21-23 year olds, they were ready to give up on Laf, a former consensus 1OA last preseason... it's just crazy.

Reactions: E-Train

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012
i have so little confidence that the Rangers will utilize what they have in Edström. They play veterans who can PK, they play sideshow Rempe. id love to be proved wrong here, and it's not like Edström is some game breaker, but i'm convinced he does the things that will help this team win games.
Yeah. The typical Rongos move would be to not play him, or at least not regularly. Hope to see a better decision.

Edström appears to think the game well & plays a solid game.

Reactions: bhamill

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
Yeah. The typical Rongos move would be to not play him, or at least not regularly. Hope to see a better decision.

Edström appears to think the game well & plays a solid game.
I think there is going to be a rotation of Rempe, Edstrom and Vesey. And if Ed or Rempe can play center, maybe Carrick as well. Rempe brings aspects that Edstrom clearly doesn't have, but as a pure hockey player, I'd say Edstrom is ahead of Rempe at this stage. Edstrom, IMO, shows 3rd line upside. Which doesn't mean Rempe wont end up being the better player. Ed will turn 24 in like two weeks and Matt will be 22 for the season (June Bday)... Ed has had 4+ years pro experience and Matt has had 2. Ed is older and closer to a finished product.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad