Confirmed with Link: Tavares to Toronto (7 years, $11M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

leburn98

Jan 28, 2013
Love to see an interview where Dubas pulls out the PlayStation, trades Tavares to the Leafs, smiles huh, huh? and Tavares says, yep, looks good.
That would be the ultimate for everyone who likes to use this isn’t Plsystation 4.
Plus think of the endorsements? Wow. Sony is knocking!
Found the video that was pitched to him ;).
giphy.gif

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I never said he would come “no matter what”. Tavares knows Hunter very well and Shanahan was still in the room.
I’m sure Tavares made his decision based on many things, not just a presentation. I don’t know Tavares though, maybe I’m giving him too much credit.
Do I think Tavares signs with the Leafs with Hunter instead of Dubas? Most likely. But, we don't get to see all different realities and Kyle deserves all the credit in the world for pulling this off. At the end of the day, he did it and deserves full credit for it. Its the same logic I apply to the Marner draft decision. At the end of the day, he did it, let's not belittle making the right choice or pitch, tons of GMs or head scouts f*** up the small things all the time.

I'm probably one of the most skeptical people of Dubas here. But, he hit an absolute home-run on this and deserves full credit for it. It definitely bought him some leeway in my books.

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
I love this narrative on the mainboards about the Leafs losing production next season because they replaced the number of goals JVR, Bozak and Leo had with only Tavares' goals. As if guys the guys who replace them won't score any goals. :laugh:

Reactions: Walshy7

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I love this narrative on the mainboards about the Leafs losing production next season because they replaced the number of goals JVR, Bozak and Leo had with only Tavares' goals. As if guys the guys who replace them won't score any goals. :laugh:
Yeah they really wish it worked like that. Unfortunately deep down inside they know the Leafs got the best top-9 in the league.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
isn't that how it works? Bozak + JVR hold more value than Crosby because they got more combined goals and points

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
isn't that how it works? Bozak + JVR hold more value than Crosby because they got more combined goals and points
It's ridiculous, because it basically implies that a waiver level player slotted into the Leafs line-up couldn't produce a single point. Its not like the guys who get JVR and Bozak's 5v5 minutes won't produce something and it is not like we can't reconfigure our first unit PP to get more ice-time.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
It's ridiculous, because it basically implies that a waiver level player slotted into the Leafs line-up couldn't produce a single point. Its not like the guys who get JVR and Bozak's 5v5 minutes won't produce something and it is not like we can't reconfigure our first unit PP to get more ice-time.

It also completely ignores the structural changes adding another centre of JTs calibre allows.

Dumb that it even needs to be pointed out. What's that law about dispelling bull****? It takes an order of magnitude more effort to refute it than to make it?

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Ray Ferraro keeps bringing up how anreas Johnsson won’t score as many goals as jvr so the leafs are down goals there. Jvr scores 36 and bozak scores 11 to match their loss we need 47 goals. JT scores 37 last season so Johnsson would need only 10 goals next year for us to be even with goals scored last year. I’m fairly convinced Johnsson can get 10 goals. It amazes me the spin done in the media are trying to put in this

Reactions: supermann_98

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
@The CyNick

"Most players don't care about that stuff. When you talk to enough pro players you understand that they don't think about things like childhood teams. They care about their own best interests. Where they are most comfortable. If playing for the hometown team really mattered, Lindros would have been here in his prime, Stamkos would have signed here and a number of other hometown guys would have as well.

That's not to say we can't sign JT. I just don't think that "you'll live forever" nonsense works. It will come down to does he think he can win here, and also does he value winning over being comfortable for the next 7-8 years." https://hfboards.mandatory.com/thre...-well-for-some.2482221/page-60#post-145935163

So would you say that you were completely wrong about pitching the legacy of bringing a cup back to Toronto and the "you'll live forever" nonsense playing a role? And are you back tracking now that Tavares picked the team he thought was in his own best interests and gave him the best shot to win?

Because seems like Dubas used both angles to convince him

"Well looks like the impact of selecting Dubas over Lou will cost us Hunter and a good shot at Tavares.

Shows the value of an experienced GM with a strong reputation. Hopefully Dubas has some tricks up his sleeve to counter."https://hfboards.mandatory.com/thre...ed-free-agency.2500129/page-58#post-147125915

Or would you say that you were completely wrong about Dubas costing us our shot at Tavares?

Last edited:

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Ray Ferraro keeps bringing up how anreas Johnsson won’t score as many goals as jvr so the leafs are down goals there. Jvr scores 36 and bozak scores 11 to match their loss we need 47 goals. JT scores 37 last season so Johnsson would need only 10 goals next year for us to be even with goals scored last year. I’m fairly convinced Johnsson can get 10 goals. It amazes me the spin done in the media are trying to put in this

It's actually the dumbest argument.

Tavares not only replaces but improves JVR's production AND from a more premium position on the ice AND does not need to be sheltered to do so.

AJ or Kappy producing 43 points to replace Bozak isn't that far fetched, but if you consider the Leafs also "lost" Komarov this off-season (which apparently isn't an issue) and his 7 goals/19 points, AJ/Kappy together should be able to not only match the 18 goals and 62 points, but also improve on that. This is also ignoring the defensive gains from it.

Reactions: 7even and Walshy7

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga

It feels like, in the last month or so (when Tavares became a real possibility), the media has developed Leafs Derangement Syndrome. Now that we have Tavares, the severity of the LDS has increased dramatically from those suffering from it.

Reactions: Walshy7

Nooodles

May 7, 2010
Geszteréd

Leafs haters are just in full panic mode, they cannot accept the thing we will be a powerhouse team and a cup favourite in the next 10 years.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
He said it’s 63,9% the chance to help Hyman get 50points so saltming can win a bet
That's why I've always had a Tavares poster hanging over my bed!! Guy is a gem haha.

Dubas~ I was on HF and this nut said Hyman would score 50 sometime in his career! Do you want to achieve the impossible John?

Tavares~ WTF? 50?!!??! Hmmm. Where do I sign?

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
@The CyNick

"Most players don't care about that stuff. When you talk to enough pro players you understand that they don't think about things like childhood teams. They care about their own best interests. Where they are most comfortable. If playing for the hometown team really mattered, Lindros would have been here in his prime, Stamkos would have signed here and a number of other hometown guys would have as well.

That's not to say we can't sign JT. I just don't think that "you'll live forever" nonsense works. It will come down to does he think he can win here, and also does he value winning over being comfortable for the next 7-8 years." https://hfboards.mandatory.com/thre...-well-for-some.2482221/page-60#post-145935163

So would you say that you were completely wrong about pitching the legacy of bringing a cup back to Toronto and the "you'll live forever" nonsense playing a role? And are you back tracking now that Tavares picked the team he thought was in his own best interests and gave him the best shot to win?

Because seems like Dubas used both angles to convince him

"Well looks like the impact of selecting Dubas over Lou will cost us Hunter and a good shot at Tavares.

Shows the value of an experienced GM with a strong reputation. Hopefully Dubas has some tricks up his sleeve to counter."https://hfboards.mandatory.com/thre...ed-free-agency.2500129/page-58#post-147125915

Or would you say that you were completely wrong about Dubas costing us our shot at Tavares?

Thanks for the leg work. I'm anxiously awaiting @The CyNick twist and shifting goal posts
:popcorn:

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
That's why I've always had a Tavares poster hanging over my bed!! Guy is a gem haha.

Dubas~ I was on HF and this nut said Hyman would score 50 sometime in his career! Do you want to achieve the impossible John?

Tavares~ WTF? 50?!!??! Hmmm. Where do I sign?

"50 points? geeze Kyle I said I wanted a challenge but mission impossible isn't a challenge"

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
It's actually the dumbest argument.

Tavares not only replaces but improves JVR's production AND from a more premium position on the ice AND does not need to be sheltered to do so.

AJ or Kappy producing 43 points to replace Bozak isn't that far fetched, but if you consider the Leafs also "lost" Komarov this off-season (which apparently isn't an issue) and his 7 goals/19 points, AJ/Kappy together should be able to not only match the 18 goals and 62 points, but also improve on that. This is also ignoring the defensive gains from it.

Ok lets break this down

Kappy getting top 9 mins>>>>Koma ,,,more 0 ,just as good D and well lets face it,, we have not seen that Koma shift disturber in some time.

Tavares>>>>>JVR ,,,way way way better offence, it comes from a prime position, there is absolutely no doubt JT does elevate the production of his line mates , when folks say "he makes his linemates better" they are talking about a JT type player. Oh and the 200ft game is much better.

Bozak>Brown small intangibles loss but will gladly take that cap hit trade off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad