Tavares signing

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Or maybe Dubai’s should have signed Marner for allegedly the 8m he would’ve taken earlier. or I think Matthew would’ve taken less too…
and he probably would have if he didn't dream up his ''me vs we'' media strategy to get the kids to take discounts after he overpaid JT

Mathews was going to go for every penny he could regardless , giving JT 11m raised the floor for what he was asking .

What Dumbass should have done is what Yzerman did with Stamkos . He should have thrown 9/9.5m on the table and told him if you want to come home that's the most we're offering . If that's not good enough you can go back to NY or go to SJ and take the 16/17m they're willing to give you .

Strangle

May 4, 2009
did you actually believe we were going to win the cup in the next couple of years after we tanked and finished dead last ?

do you you also believe it's common for teams that finish last to win while there top drafted kids are on their elc's ?

because if you do then the Hawks with Bedard are way behind where we were , maybe we can send them Johnny so he can show Conner how to get to the promised land

Crosby/Malkin won early

Kane/toews won early

Matthews/Marner did not win early

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Crosby/Malkin won early

Kane/toews won early

Matthews/Marner did not win early
no they didn't and neither did the great Johnny f***ing Tavares

basically 2 teams in the last 20yrs with a 1st o/a pick won a cup , 1 in 10 odds , i wonder if the other 17 teams other than us fan bases were expecting a cup like you as well

maybe we should should go the the Hawks board and see if they'd be ripping on Bedard if he doesn't bring home the cup before his elc is over

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Strangle

May 4, 2009
no they didn't and neither did the great Johnny f***ing Tavares

basically 2 teams in the last 20yrs with a 1st o/a pick won a cup , 1 in 10 odds , i wonder if the other 17 teams other than us fan bases were expecting a cup like you as well

maybe we should should go the the Hawks board and see if they'd be ripping on Bedard if he doesn't bring home the cup before his elc is over

They’re doing that in Edmonton right now

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
You clearly have a very different notion of what a superstar is . When I say superstar it means a player that carries his team to the top while dominating on the stat sheet , ie Gretzky , Lemieux , Crosby etc ...JT is not that and never has been .
You can call JT consistent...He gets around 80pts every year. The problem is that we signed him off a crappy team expecting him to raise his game. He kind of did that in his first season with 47G...but then went back to average. I doubt very much that if anyone knew he would still only get 80pts a year that he would be signed to the $11M deal by anyone not stupid.

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
and he probably would have if he didn't dream up his ''me vs we'' media strategy to get the kids to take discounts after he overpaid JT

Mathews was going to go for every penny he could regardless , giving JT 11m raised the floor for what he was asking .

What Dumbass should have done is what Yzerman did with Stamkos . He should have thrown 9/9.5m on the table and told him if you want to come home that's the most we're offering . If that's not good enough you can go back to NY or go to SJ and take the 16/17m they're willing to give you .
The sad part of him getting $11m was that it was done spur of the moment. I read an article on sportsnet where they discussed the behind the scenes stuff with the signing. Since JT did not want to discuss $$ with any team and wanted them to sell him on their vision...no money was discussed until he said he was coming home. So, the conversation was basically "Will you take $10M?" He said no...it was too low and they bumped it up to $11M and the deal was done. I am not exaggerating on this...it was in the article that I am too lazy to search up...but what kind of foresight did MLSE have when they just threw out a number and didn't think of the cap ramifications for this team?

Dubas wanted the "Win" over Lou and he didn't care if he was burning the boats to do it. That caused him to accelerate everything. People shit on Lou for spending 2- 2nds on Boyle and Plekanic....but compared to Dubas he was holding the line on the slower rebuild I guess.

Reactions: hotpaws

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
How many Hart's and Rocket's did Hyman win?

AFAIK, Matthews is the only Leaf to win an award since Britt Selby's ROTY in 1967.

He is head and shoulders above Mats Sundin, let alone every other Leaf on this team or that he ever played with.
If you are demanding 13.5 mil, he highest paid player in the league. NO. You do not get to be allowed to be neck and neck with a 5M winger. Nope. You do not get the luxury of being second on your own damn team in points. You are the highest paid player. You better damn well be dominating.

Let's try again.

no one's blaming McD and Drai for them not winning a cup . lol
Yes people are blaming McDavid. There was an entire thread asking if he was a good captain.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Did you miss the beginning of the season around here?
it seems you did if you believe Oiler fans were blaming McDrai for the teams struggles early this year and what does have to do with you saying they were blaming McDrai for not winning a cup on there elc's ?

Yes people are blaming McDavid. There was an entire thread asking if he was a good captain.
in there forum or on the main board

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
If you are demanding 13.5 mil, he highest paid player in the league. NO. You do not get to be allowed to be neck and neck with a 5M winger. Nope. You do not get the luxury of being second on your own damn team in points. You are the highest paid player. You better damn well be dominating.

Let's try again.

Sure. Whatever.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
it seems you did if you believe Oiler fans were blaming McDrai for the teams struggles early this year and what does have to do with you saying they were blaming McDrai for not winning a cup on there elc's ?

in there forum or on the main board
main board at the least, I don't dive into their boards...

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Willy wants 11. And why shouldn't he want 11? We paid Marner 11, and he's doing better than Marner this year. We paid Tavares 11. He's destroying Tavares. And he's comparable to Matthew's offensive output so why shouldn't he want close to that?

See what happens when you sign some idiot 13.5? He's the bar. "I'm currently out scoring your 13.5 guy...I want my money."

He's more likely to be ok making 9.5 in a dressing room where the top guy only makes 10...but he will be DAMNED if he's asked to only make 9.5 in a dressing room with a guy making 13.5 whom he is currently out performing offensively.

Matthews at 13.5 but performing as a guy who should be paid 10...is a BIG. f***ING. PROBLEM. No exaggeration.
I don't disagree with any of that, beyond thinking it was the JT signing that started it.

But nothing in your post actually relates to anything in mine.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
He signed for 13.84% of the cap.

Today, that translates to $11.55M. How many 2Cs make $11.55?

The cap would have been much higher if not for the pandemic.

That’s the point.

Tavares was a 2 time hart finalist who came in 2nd league scoring

He was easily worth 13% of the cap.

The Shrike

Jul 13, 2008
Toronto

That’s the point.

Yes, the cap would have been well over $100 million by now if it wasn't for the pandemic. That's what Dubas and Pridham were counting on, and it was a reasonable, calculated decision. If they hadn't made that signing I would have questioned it a thousand times more.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
You seem to really struggle with accepting the fact JT took less to come here.
if believing that makes you feel better about the how much Tavares makes then i'm happy for you .

Too bad for us JT didn't give us the same discount on our offer that Johnny Hockey did on the Jackets offer . lol . This fine speculation came out the same day he signed in Columbus and instantly had a thread on the main board where people were laughing and ripping the Jackets for the offer .

Frank Seravalli
@frank_seravalli

Never know what to make of certain things you hear, but the rumored offer involving #CBJ and Gaudreau today was an absolute whopper: 7 years x $12 million.Interestingly, same total ($84m) as what I reported was on the table in Calgary.Would be quite a twist...

Last edited:

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
You seem to really struggle with accepting the fact JT took less to come here.
I don't struggle with the idea. There's no concrete evidence for it. If he had signed here for 9 or even 10 I would be more prone to accepting it.

Reactions: Arzak

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018

That’s the point.

Why do you keep referring to 13.84 as 13, when it is much closer to 14?

The point is that even now, with the cap higher than when he signed, who's paying even 11 for a 2C?

Even without the flat cap, who, at the time he signed, paid 11 for anyone, let alone a 2C?

WillyC

Sep 7, 2018
I don't struggle with the idea. There's no concrete evidence for it. If he had signed here for 9 or even 10 I would be more prone to accepting it.
What do you need for concrete?… were you hoping SJ came forward and said, no dog… we never offered 13x7.

Because if the media and everyone else just kinda made it up, you know, so JT could inflate his asking price… San Jose would have come forward and dismissed it.

They signed EK right after they missed on Tavares.

Reactions: Buds17

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
What do you need for concrete?… were you hoping SJ came forward and said, no dog… we never offered 13x7.

Because if the media and everyone else just kinda made it up, you know, so JT could inflate his asking price… San Jose would have come forward and dismissed it.

They signed EK right after they missed on Tavares.
I didn't say I needed concrete, just that there isn't any, unless you think signing EK was proof they offered JT more than Toronto did.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad