HF Habs: Sun. July 14: Euro Finals - Spain vs England, 3 p.m. | TSN, TSN+, TVA Sports ||| Copa America Finals: Argentina vs Colombia, 8 p.m. | CTV2, RDS, FOX

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
I still cannot belive kone's performance last night. Best game from a canadian player I have ever watched in an international game. He was the best player on the field, and I would love to see him play a defensive mid-fielder position in the middle of the field for canada. He controlled the game, it was elite, and I hope he continues to play like that. He'll earn his way to a big club team if he continues on his path. just wow.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
I still cannot belive kone's performance last night. Best game from a canadian player I have ever watched in an international game. He was the best player on the field, and I would love to see him play a defensive mid-fielder position in the middle of the field for canada. He controlled the game, it was elite, and I hope he continues to play like that. He'll earn his way to a big club team if he continues on his path. just wow.

His progression since he left Montreal for Watford is fascinating. He was becoming one of the best mids in MLS in 2022, in his rookie year. But his first touch and his pace is now world class. Great mix of athleticism and creativity/vision. And he is like Slafkovsky, open to learn and integrates new teachings like a sponge.

Guy was playing semi-pro games for CS St-Laurent only 3 years ago. If he continues like this, the premiere league will knock on the door.

Thought Choiniere also made a great case for himself for future matches. He has the quality to be Eustaquio's back up and start on the B team.

Crepeau was Crepeau.

Montreal tabarnac !

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
With that hair, Cuccarella should be twitching on the pavement in front of the couche tard right beside the entrance of Metro Joliette.

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
All of those talented Spain teams over the years, and this one is probably one of the best, if not the best, performances by their country. Just better than everyone from game 1. I think you have to make them favourites for world cup 2026.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Spain should be world's #1 team now regardless of what Argentina does tonight. 7 straight wins to win the Euro and they played tough teams, too.

A phenomenonal tournament by them.

A young and exciting team for sure.
A super direct attack minded team with quality and vision all over the pitch.
If it was hockey you would say one team was flying out there and the other was skating in cement.
Midfield reminded me of so many games I watched the past three seasons where we struggled to breakthrough the neutral zone. :laugh:

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I remarked on his game against Argentina as well.
He did have the tough clearance in that one but he was trying to clean up someone else's mess.

Reactions: Nedved

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
You haven't watched this tournament, then. Only reason England was even in this game was a carefully executed rig job by the officials.

Spain were always going to roast an England squad forced into the game by dubious means.
I don't have to watch the game to know that England (like Canada) doesn't get calls. I am sure they aren't that good because they never are. And that means Spain winnimg means very little.

xX SEYF Xx

Apr 5, 2022
Montreal
A super direct attack minded team with quality and vision all over the pitch.
If it was hockey you would say one team was flying out there and the other was skating in cement.
Midfield reminded me of so many games I watched the past three seasons where we struggled to breakthrough the neutral zone. :laugh:
Spain doesn't play direct attack football, they play their signature "tiki taka" football, short fast passes and constant movement.
Pass, run, receive, pass, run, receive... repeat until you get into a position where you can shoot with a high probability of success.
Relies on team unity, speed and comprehension of the usage of space in a soccer field.

Today's second goal was an illustration of it, the 2 missed opportunities of Yamal too if you follow the start of the chance from the midfield.

Only high IQ teams can effectively apply it, requires also a big percentage of ball possession.
Signature of the Spain national teams and FC Barcelona but more and more used to a lesser extent by others.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Spain doesn't play direct attack football, they play their signature "tiki taka" football, short fast passes and constant movement.
Pass, run, receive, pass, run, receive... repeat until you get into a position where you can shoot with a high probability of success.
Relies on team unity, speed and comprehension of the usage of space in a soccer field.

Today's second goal was an illustration of it, the 2 missed opportunities of Yamal too if you follow the start of the chance from the midfield.

Only high IQ teams can effectively apply it, requires also a big percentage of ball possession.
Signature of the Spain national teams and FC Barcelona but more and more used to a lesser extent by others.
Spain play a direct attack north south game once they create the openings both their goals were a result of it.
I'm not sure what game you watched but when they felt England were exposed they used crisp north south passes.
Often looking to hit a runner in behind the defense. Their goals came off counter attacks not ticky tack plays.
That's why I used the term ATTACK MINDED they did it all tournament long.
LOL "Brilliant Fast Incisive Direct Football" was how it was described during play.

The ball went directly forward from Spain's half of the pitch to the edge of the box in a second what was ticky tack about that?

Last edited:

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
I was definitely surprised the goal wasn’t called offside. From the one replay I saw, looked like the goal scoring foot was offside.

I feel the whole offside rule needs to be rethought with VAR. So many goals called offside when the part of the body that was fractionally offside wasn’t even in the good position to make the play and in spite of that, the player makes a great effort to score.

In this situation (I’ll go watch other replays, maybe I missed an important angle) the part of the body that looked offside was the foot that scored the goal.

Strange officiating from my perspective

Reactions: Boss Man Hughes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad