Confirmed with Link: Ryan Getzlaf hired by the DoPS

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com please DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Bergey37

May 19, 2019
Net net, I'd suggest that developing contacts in the league was more valuable than staying with the Ducks, if he had higher aspirations. Or maybe he just doesn't want to work that hard, and likes George . . .

Or maybe he wants to have an impact on cleaning up the game.

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
Net net, I'd suggest that developing contacts in the league was more valuable than staying with the Ducks, if he had higher aspirations. Or maybe he just doesn't want to work that hard, and likes George . . .

Or maybe he wants to have an impact on cleaning up the game.
This. He already has the contacts with the Ducks. Doing things like working with the league and working with Team Canada will open a lot more doors to him.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
I don’t understand the pissing and moaning from most of you.

The DOPS has needed an overhaul and different voices in there and more they get one. I’m sure Getzlaf will excel in the future here.

Because we liked having the guy who was the face of the franchise for 15 years (who also happened to be a great captain, star player, and was great for the community) stick around the team?

Not exactly a head scratcher.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Because we liked having the guy who was the face of the franchise for 15 years (who also happened to be a great captain, star player, and was great for the community) stick around the team?

Not exactly a head scratcher.

I mean, Getzlaf doesn’t owe Verbeek anything to stay on as an ambassador to the franchise. I think if Murray was still here, maybe there would be a bit more of reasoning to stay with the team.

I was never a fan of Parros being the head of it. Just seemed like an empty suit occupying the position

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
I mean, Getzlaf doesn’t owe Verbeek anything to stay on as an ambassador to the franchise. I think if Murray was still here, maybe there would be a bit more of reasoning to stay with the team.

I was never a fan of Parros being the head of it. Just seemed like an empty suit occupying the position

Who said he owes anyone? People like Getz, that's all

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Well, that’s too bad. Was nice seeing a legend around the team. At least we still have Paul and Scotty involved

Reactions: ohcomeonref

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
Do you really think the Leafs hired Shannahan because of his work in player safety? How does working in player safety qualify one to be president of hockey operations for an NHL club?

No, but I don’t think it hindered him from being hired, it probably helped him build relationships, they got to see how he works and runs DOPS. People claiming this is the end of his chances to be in the front office are just mad.

Last edited:

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
Part of me doesn't think this is true because Verbeek did give Getz a pretty nice role with the team but idk it felt like Getz was more distant from the org. than i would have expected for somebody of his stature. Interestingly Kariya and Niedermayer seem closer than ever before.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
No, but I don’t think it hindered him from being hired, it probably helped him build relationships, they got to see how he works and runs DOPS. People claiming this is the end of his chances to be in the front office are just mad.
I'm certainly not saying it ends his chances to work in a front office. I'm just saying he can certainly get there without ever having passed through that garbage department. Maybe a guy like Parros needs to "build relationships" but Getzy has the name recognition to call just about anybody in the NHL and talk. If he wants post playing career advice plenty of guys all over the league would advise him.

Given that he was here at rookie camp and then all of a sudden left makes me wonder if there is a reason that we will never know, that prompted such a sudden move to a job that doesn't come close to helping learn how to run an NHL team.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA

My point was that everyone other than Shanahan has been an empty suit there, and they yanked on his choke chain hard when he actually did his job, brought him to heel, and then promoted him ASAP when he was a good dog too. It may open doors for him but I have zero respect for anyone who takes that job, because…they are a paid propaganda position that do not do their actual job.

It probably opens doors, but you’re literally selling out the health of your former union members to do so.

Reactions: Lord Flashheart

Frosted Tips

Zeglaf baby!
Jun 2, 2005
Finlandia
Given that he was here at rookie camp and then all of a sudden left makes me wonder if there is a reason that we will never know, that prompted such a sudden move to a job that doesn't come close to helping learn how to run an NHL team.
Not sure about the hiring process and practices for the league, but could it be possible that this job was lined up already much earlier and only now announced? I could imagine he likely had talks about applying for this job well before the development camp even. And then he participated at the dev camp because he had the chance to do so, was maybe asked or even he himself wanted to just help out the organization that he spent his entire playing career with.

I don't think there necessarily needs to be anything dramatic about this move between him and the org or PV. He probably sees this opportunity as a stepping stone for whatever he wishes to do now post playing career. Maybe he doesn't want to run a team after all or sees this as good gig for now to eventually achieve that? I'm no fan of this because for selfish purposes I wished he would've had a larger role at the Ducks FO, stay here forever and after, but maybe that's not his thing. I don't like it but I respect his decision and wish him well.

For the record, my initial reaction was "f*** no!".

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
I didn’t think Getzlaf even has a place in SoCal after he sold his Coto house.

I imagine he can work remote for the DOPS position.

Maybe the prospect camp convinced him he can’t be involved enough here and also be involved with his family back home.

John

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad